Attempt to cancel Licenses of those aged 70+years

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Attempt to cancel Licenses of those aged 70+years

Post by Anand » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:52 am

Hello all,
My friend's parents who are both arms licensees and above the age of 70, who had applied for renewal have been served Show Cause notices as to why their arms licenses should not be cancelled as they have no specific threat and that they are above the age of 70.
My friend who is a renowned shooter is looking options other than going to Court.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Anand

For Advertising mail webmaster
veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Attempt to cancel Licenses of those aged 70+years

Post by veeveeaar » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:06 pm

One old Person in my district had come for renewal interview and was asked by the District Magistrate , why he needs a licence at this age ( probably 76 years). he just paused and said this is my SECOND WIFE. I can go to sleep only WITH her at this age. Moreover it is not ILLEGAL to posses a fire arm at this age. the DM shook his head and renewed the licence.

Jokes apart, It is a security issue. Old people are more vulnerable to attacks for various reasons. they need protection when alone. So this unwarranted ILLEGAL act of EXCESS of JUDISTRICTION by the Licencing authority

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:20 pm

Get their medical certificate on Form S-3 (Arms Rules 2016). This would strengthen your case as they will be declared fit to handle weapons.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:34 pm

I think what Vineet says makes a lot of sense.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:11 pm

No where in Arms Act it is mentioned that arms license should be cancelled after a certain age.

As long as one is declared in good physical health by doctor on Form S-3 of the Arms Rules 2016, his license can not be cancelled on health grounds.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:37 pm

Vineet wrote:Get their medical certificate on Form S-3 (Arms Rules 2016). This would strengthen your case as they will be declared fit to handle weapons.
I would like to inform you all that the LICENCING AUTHORITY will insist on a MEDICAL BOARD Certificate, which means acertificate from the district govt. hospital. Here is the catch. The Gvt doctores do not have a yardstick for this Fitness to Handle Firearms. It is as per their whims and fancies. OR Money / Influence etc. I request forum members to raise this issue and bring about a legal age limit for automatic renewal of licence for old persons.

Jr.
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Jr. » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:49 pm

As Vineet correctly mentioned,
There is no rule on cancellation of Arms License, if the holder is above 70 years.
My question to the authorities is that
'Are Senior Citizens, not entitled to Defend themselves'.
Also I personally believe, they are most vulnerable.
The authorities cannot cancel the License if the holder is medically of sane mind and in good health.
It is extremely sad ,the harassment citizens have to face for obtaining and renewal of License.
The exorbitant price which has to be paid for purchase of a Firearm (which is mostly 30+ years old) is also questionable.
Unfortunately this is not going to change, in the near future.

Regards,
Jr.