Importing Arms & Ammo into India

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
penpusher

Re: Import+Transfer

Post by penpusher » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:28 pm

Primerwalla,

A firearm brought in on transfer of residence cn't be transfered during the lifetime of the importer.You can get a license for the firearm and leave it with your father.However you will have to come here every 3 years to get the license renewed.

.40 S&W is a NPB and you can get a license for this from the local licensing authority.Ammunition for this is not available in the country.Handgun ammo that can be found easily in the market is for .22,.32,.380 and.30(7.62,7.63).

All semi automatic firearms other than pistols and revolvers are prohibited.

penpusher

For Advertising mail webmaster
primerwalla
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by primerwalla » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:19 am

grewal & penpusher,

thanks for the reply. Then, I will drop the idea of importing. I will ask him to buy one in India. Read some of the threads. Is only used handguns available in India? That is shocking!!! Is there any other legal way to import?

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Import+Transfer

Post by cottage cheese » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:00 am

Hi primerwala,

penpusher has all the points nailed.

Another way to import would be the sportsman route which in your circumstance would be awkwardly roundabout.
Though I'd never really taken much interest in the matter, I'm given to understand that as a member of a registered and recognized shooting association/club in country and also attaining a reasonable degree of qualification in competitive marksmanship, you can apply for import of a fire-arm(s?). This, however, also includes restrictions on transfer of the same for a certain number of years. More knowledgeable folks here will elaborate.

Also, so you are not confused about our archaic laws here, the common misconception among many folks is that NPB's and PB's are based on size of ammo. Well, its not exactly that. Prohibited Bores are simply those which were and are government/defense service. Everything else (With logical limits of course!) is non prohibited. The only problem is the only NP ammo made in India and available readily is .22LR, .32(Long and short Rimmed), .32ACP, 12GA in a limited range of loads, .315, and 30-06. All are made by KF, and quality is inconsistent and poor.

Other available NP ammo is .25ACP, .30(Tokarev), .380ACP, .22 Hornet, .22HP Savage etc. None of these are made in India, though I can't seem to figure how they are always available in small quantities in spite of the ban on imports :)

The only factory fresh hand guns available in India are the IOFB .32 revolver (A poor Webley clone), .32 Pistol , and .22LR revolver. The pistol is a shoddily executed blend of a Colt 1903 Pocket Auto and an FN browning M1910 , the .22Revolver while looking somewhat better and modern has an aluminum cylinder which I'm told is a major source of problems. All these guns are of very poor quality and finish and over prices. Most times they would be as good, if not, lousier than most used foreign made guns.

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:02 pm

In case one gets a gun on Transfer of REsidence.. is there any restriction on re-sale of the same in India?
klick klack..... diskaon

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: On import laws

Post by Risala » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:25 pm

Nope,people returning on TR cannot sell the fire arm during their lifetime,

and now even on TR an individual can only bring one fire arm with him.

Sanjay

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

import of arms

Post by nagarifle » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:46 am

Hi having read the threads on arms imports. Which tells me that import are no no. Aparts from top 25 shooters and on TR from overseas. still i would like to know the following.

1\ i would like to know what would one have to do if importing under TR?

2\ what would happen if one brings a firearm from aboard and declears it? with the aim of paying import duty?

3\ can a import licence be had? if so how does one gets it`?

nagarifle

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Import of arms and ammunition

Post by mundaire » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:56 pm

Hi Nagarifle,

I believe all three points have been covered before - but for the sake of putting it all in one place I'll repost what has been contributed on this topic by several other IFG members:

1. Transfer of Residence

(a) You are required to have owned the firearm in your country of residence for a minimum period of ONE YEAR on a VALID firearms permit, prior to your return to India. For those living in the USA, this could either mean a CCW permit OR if your state of residence does not have a CCW policy, you should at the very minimum look at getting a firearm registration and also get a hunting permit of some sort. Basically you need a piece of govt. paperwork in (your country of residence) acknowledging your LEGAL possession of the firearm.

(b) Each returning citizen is allowed to bring back ONLY ONE firearm - NO relaxations on this whatsoever. Considering the ridiculously steep prices of handguns in India, I would suggest you consider bringing back one of those.

(c) If you do not possess a valid Indian arms license on returning to India, the customs will confiscate the gun and give you a receipt for the same. Now you must go to your local licensing authority and apply for an arms license for the type of gun you have imported. Only once you have procured a valid license for the type of firearm you have imported, will the customs release the firearm and enter it on your license.

(d) ALL FIREARMS imported under transfer of residence have a condition entered on the arms license, that they CANNOT be sold/ gifted/ or transferred to ANYONE else for the duration of the NATURAL LIFE of the original importer. So forget about bringing a gun back to gift to your dad/ uncle/ brother etc. :P

2. what would happen if one brings a firearm from aboard and declares it? with the aim of paying import duty?

Unless you qualify for importing a firearm - either under TR rules OR through a valid import permit (which is issued only to renowned shots) - the firearm will be confiscated and you will be arrested. Ignorance of the law is NEVER considered as an acceptable EXCUSE by the courts. The courts will then decide on the severity of the sentence... could be let off with a fine, or you could spend a few years inside at the tax payers expense...

3.can a import licence be had? if so how does one gets it?

Import permits are ONLY issued to civilians who have attained the status of "Renowned shooter", till last year it used to be limited only to the top 25 shooters in each event, subject to minimum 30 shooters competing in that particular event. If the number of shooters was less than 30, then 50% of the total participants were declared as "Renowned Shooters". Currently this status is awarded to any shooter who achieves the MQS (minimum qualifying score) at the National Shooting Championship Competition (NSCC). Also, renowned shooters do not have to pay any duty on the arms or ammunition that they import... There is an article on indianshooting.com covering this entire process.

HTH
Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by james » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:04 am

Some websites/companies like Hogue ect sell handgun grips online and they accept and ship these items in INDIA , are items like rubber grips are allowed to be purchased legally and if such purchases / transaction is done by credit card what are the possible threats under law/customs.Regards James.

vulcan
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Transfer of Guns from US to India

Post by vulcan » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:25 am

Hello Abhijeet and team,
Thank you for this knowledge bank. First off I would like to thank all of you.

Let me come straight to my point. I have a Glock 34 tactical and a Walther PPK. In my stash I have a Ruger .22 rifle that I use for gaming purposes here in USA.

Dilemma:
I am planning to transfer my residence back to India and I have conflicting information. I am presently in US and planning to get my guns into India. I really dont want to part with them. I really took care of them very well. I have a license for concealed weapons in US.

I need help with this. Please let me know if I need to apply for a license before I do a transfer back in India.

Any and all help is needed.

Thanks,
Vulcan

Here is an article from http://www.geocities.com/indiancustoms/ ... ule/tr.htm

-----------------------------------------
Articles not allowed duty free, but at various rates of duty and/or under specific conditions :-

Firearms (may only be brought under TR) - Import of firearms is usually prohibited and import of Cartridges in excess of 50 is also prohibited, both being listed under Annexure-I of the Baggage Rules. However, persons bringing their effects on TR can bring one firearm of permissible bore on payment of a duty @153% ad-valorem, subject to the conditions that:-

(a) the same was in possession and use abroad by the passenger for a minimum period of one year and also subject to the condition that such firearm, after clearance, shall not be sold, loaned, transferred or otherwise parted with, for consideration or otherwise, during the lifetime of such person AND (b) the firearms can be allowed in such cases on payment of applicable duty provided the passenger has a valid arms licence from the local authorities.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:04 am

vulcan

Just conduct search on this site and you can find relevant information.

Check the post by Abhijeet>>

Best

vulcan
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Transfer of Guns from US to India

Post by vulcan » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:39 am

Thanks Grewal for the information. I knew this site is a mother lode of information.

I think that some of my concerns have been covered regarding the transfer.

So, let me think one more time . I will be visiting India this winter and should I be able to apply for a license so I don't have to wait when I try to get the firearm into the country.

-- Vulcan

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:35 pm

thanks Abhijeet for point of impact infromation reagrding bringing arms to india. It would seem that Indain arms act is "clear as mud" :lol:

cheers
nagarifle

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:16 am

Clear as mud........hehehehe

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:59 am

nagarifle";p="31651 wrote:thanks Abhijeet for point of impact infromation reagrding bringing arms to india. It would seem that Indain arms act is "clear as mud" :lol:

cheers
nagarifle
The import restrictions (on arms & ammunition) ARE NOT imposed by the govt. through the Arms Act/ Arms Rules. They are in fact a part of the Exim policy declared by the government each year as part of the Central Govt. budget and therefore these restrictions are "renewed" by the parliament each year when the budget is "passed". Therefore, it would theoretically be possible for the govt. to remove these restrictions on the import of arms & ammunition by simply NOT including them in their annual budget and basically allowing them to lapse, WITHOUT the need to actually pass a separate bill/ have a debate in parliament... not that we have much hope of that ever happening... :P

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

temp

Post by mundaire » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:19 pm

Vulcan,

The Glock is a definite :?: as it would most probably be chambered for 9mm para, which is a PB calibre in India.

For more details on what constitute Prohibited Bores (calibres) please see this "knowledge base" article.

Also, each returning citizen is limited to ONE firearm that he/ she may bring back with him/ her - as under TR rules. Am afraid you will either have to split them up between family members OR pick ONLY ONE of the above mentioned firearms to bring back with you.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in