Importing Arms & Ammo into India

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:02 pm

Thread merged with the older thread covering arms & ammo imports.

deeptrajectory, the import of 15,000 rounds is ONLY allowed for those shooters who have achieved renowned shot status in the same year in which they are seeking to import the ammunition. For those who are NOT renowned shots, they may ONLY import a max of 50 rounds when returning from overseas (as long as the returning passenger has a valid arms license for that particular calibre firearm)!

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
deeptrajectory
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Importing Arms & Ammo into India

Post by deeptrajectory » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:04 pm

its understood.thanks,but what if one is a renowned shot? pl specify the point for my query.
sorry for the misplaced post.
thanks in advance

vjha55
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vjha55 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:38 pm

What is the legal angle to a person posted as counsellor(Indian Foreign Service) in USA for bringing Arms into India from there? Also, can that arms be handed over someway to civillians of his family here in india holding valid licence?

paragvns
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by paragvns » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:36 pm

I think this import - by an indian diplomat- will be treated as"transfer of residence" and so he will not be able to transfer or sell the firearm to anyone in his lifetime
An armed society is a polite society. — Robert A. Heinlein

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Tue May 13, 2008 9:21 pm

tirths
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirths » Wed May 14, 2008 12:04 pm

Excellent!!

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed May 14, 2008 4:09 pm

tirths";p="43784 wrote: Excellent!!
Excellent :?: The link posted by penpusher underlines the fact that there is no legal loophole for the import of firearms! I'd have thought people here would be more than happy to have a court strike down this rule/ law as illegal etc. :P

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by msandhu » Wed May 14, 2008 9:12 pm

What is the criteria to be qualified as renowned shooter ? Do they need to win some competition to be qualified as renowned shooter and does anyone has any idea how many such renowned shooters are there in India ?
Cheers
MSaandhu

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat May 17, 2008 4:36 pm

msandhu";p="43819 wrote:What is the criteria to be qualified as renowned shooter ? Do they need to win some competition to be qualified as renowned shooter and does anyone has any idea how many such renowned shooters are there in India ?
Cheers
MSaandhu
As of this National Shooting competition onwards, anyone who shoots the minimum qualifying score in any specific discipline(s) while participating in the National Shooting competition is automatically termed as a "renown shooter". You would still need to wait till you get an official certificate to the effect though. More details should be available on the NRAI website - http://nrai.in/

AFAIK you can only import a gun for the discipline(s) in which you qualify as a renown shot. Also, forget about importing non-target grade firearms using this route - from what I hear they are quite strict about which make/ model of target guns they will allow you to import.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

primerwalla
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Airport procedure

Post by primerwalla » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:52 am

Hi Guys,

I am interested in finding out the steps to be done at the airport when I arrive with my firearm :D I searched this forum and found some thread related to an import of a air gun but still confused. I did take a look at the KB. So, what documents do I need? Is it possible to just pay the duty and walk away with the firearm assuming I have the relevant documents with me?

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Airport procedure

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:15 am

primerwalla";p="49374 wrote:Is it possible to just pay the duty and walk away with the firearm assuming I have the relevant documents with me?
Some questions you need to answer:

1) Are you coming back to India on Transfer of Residence (TR) or are you a 'renowned shot' who has permission to import?

2) Has the firearm been in your possession for a year or more? Do you have proof to validate this point?

3) Do you have an Indian Arms licence for the relevant category?

4) What firearm do you intend importing and in which calibre?

primerwalla
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by primerwalla » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:12 pm

Some questions you need to answer:

1) Are you coming back to India on Transfer of Residence (TR) or are you a 'renowned shot' who has permission to import?

2) Has the firearm been in your possession for a year or more? Do you have proof to validate this point?

3) Do you have an Indian Arms licence for the relevant category?

4) What firearm do you intend importing and in which calibre?
1. I will be visiting my parents. I am not renowned shot. May be if I try harder :D
I will have my father as the 'retainer'. He is in the process of getting his license. The local police has given the 'feelings' that it should be OK.BTW I am a Canadian.

2. Not yet 1 year about 7 months

3. I am trying to figure out how to do this. I am getting some conflicting information that I have to apply before I reach India. And some say that it has to be done in India.

4. A semi-auto pistol in .40 S&W.

browning
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by browning » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:21 pm

So you mean to say, that you do not have a valid Indian License for the above mentioned firearm?

primerwalla
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by primerwalla » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:26 pm

Yeah, I don't have a license in India.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:34 pm

I will be visiting my parents.
I will have my father as the 'retainer'.
Not yet 1 year about 7 months
I am sorry but you are not eligible to import a firearm.
The local police has given the 'feelings' that it should be OK.
Your local police is misinformed and besides which it is Indian Customs who determine whether a firearm can be imported.