Importing Arms & Ammo into India

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Importing Arms & Ammo into India

Post by Skyman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:17 pm

P Chidambaram?
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

For Advertising mail webmaster
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:39 am

i think it was the FM who impose such things.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:31 am

I think Pranab was the FM when this happened.Btw, is that you stacking skulls?

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:54 pm

nay, a relative
Nagarifle

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:33 pm

He seems an exceedingly adventurous fellow.Do you take after him? Can i see your outfit? ROTFL

renjith747
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by renjith747 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:52 pm

nagarifle wrote:i think it was the FM who impose such things.
ban/restriction of import is a lobby.If the import is restricted arms dealers can sell 30 or more yrs old guns by 20 times the price in international market, IOF can sell their substandard crappy product.Renowned shooters also can sell their weapons to high value as they only enjoys importing privilege now.NRAI can open import to at least people interested in sports but only to renowned shooters :deadhorse: .How will a person without good weapon will become renowned shooter ROTFL .

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:22 pm

Two matters relating to import of Arms an ammo via TR route:
One, a case where a doctor I know imported one revolver on TR and also his wife imported her shotgun on TR, where in the Customs said only one firearm is permissible between them. He successfully filed a case and won, and the import of both firearms was allowed.
The case: http://www.indiankanoon.org/doc/486326/

The Other, a recent Customs Circular dated: 15 Jan 2013, regarding the permission to sell such firearms imported on TR after 10 years, and the eligibility of a firearm import on TR limited to once in a person's lifetime :-( .
Circular: http://www.cbec.gov.in/customs/cs-circu ... 013-cs.htm

Regards,
Anand

prasen123
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by prasen123 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:55 am

I cant understand last topic. I am 40 years old can I able to Import a fire arm for my lifetime?

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:16 am

Hi prasen123,
Under TR Rules, any person returning after 2 years from abroad is eligible to bring one firearm of N.P Bore along with 50 Cartridges as long he has a license for the same. There was no clarity earlier as to how many times one could come to India on TR along with a firearm. So theoretically if you were a green card holder in USA, you could bring in 3 firearms(4 if you are a rifle club member), one every 3 years. So in 12 years you could have 4 "freshly" imported firearms of your choice for not much cost.
This circular further states that even though TR can be availed every 3 years, they have clarified that as for firearms only one would be allowed to be imported during a persons lifetime.
Regards,
Anand

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:23 am

Anand the baggages rules say one firearm only in lifetime on TR. see the last part of the link that you gave above it states the same. normal TR is every 3 years but for fireams its one per lifetime
Nagarifle

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:04 pm

More than 50 ctgs upto your one time limit on license is dutiable.
One time limit upto 50 ctgs is duty free.
To Excellence through Diligence.

prasen123
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by prasen123 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:58 pm

Thanks a lot to all...

surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by surajshuresh » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:30 pm

Hi guys i recently emailed the ADC of Customs Bangalore regarding TR.

These were my questions.
1: What is the amount of duty for firearm under transfer of resident.
2: Am i allowed to bring in 50 ammunition for my firearm. Should i pay customs for this, if so how much is the customs.
3: What documents do i need to provide to prove my ownership of the firearm is
more than 1 year.
4: what documents do i need to show for calculating the customs duty.
5: I do not have an Indian arms license but i will apply for license after i am back in India. Due to this i am aware you will keeping the firearm in your storage. What is the storage charge for this.
Can you please clarify me these details.

His reply.

First you apply for Licence from Australia. If you get licence only answer to other questions relevant. After arrival to India also you can apply. For avoiding delay in clearance you can apply from Australia.

I emailed him back.

Thank you for your kind reply. I have inquired about applying the license from Bangalore and i have done the necessary training and documents in Bangalore during my last visit for application of my license in Bangalore. Due to my short visit i did not apply for the license and the DCP told me to apply after i am back because i will need to be present during the process. It will 5 to 8 weeks processing my application by the Bangalore Police. I wanted a clarification from the Bangalore Customs regarding my questions. So i will know the required documents and process. Since you have answered my 5th question the other doubt is regrading the documents required by you and how much is the duty and storage charges.

Hoping for a reply to this one. I just need a clarification from the ADC so i can show the email later.

surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by surajshuresh » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:41 pm

18. Sale of imported weapons:- Instructions have already been issued to permit an importer of weapon to sell the imported weapon (both PB and NPB) to a licence holder only after ten years from the date of acquisition of such weapon, or after he/she attains sixty years of age, whichever is later, subject to the condition that such importer will be barred from acquiring any weapon in India during his/her (importer’s) life time. The importer / seller may be asked to submit a duly sworn affidavit to this effect to the licensing authority. Cases in which there is a clause in the arms licence that the importer will not sell his weapon during his life time will also be covered and sale of imported weapons will be allowed subject to the above condition and there will be no change in this regard.

Hello looking at this does it mean that i can sell my TR firearm after 10 years or after i am 60 years and it says that importer will be barred from acquiring any weapons during his lifetime. What nonsense is this ah...

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:56 pm

Hello looking at this does it mean that i can sell my TR firearm after 10 years or after i am 60 years and it says that importer will be barred from acquiring any weapons during his lifetime. What nonsense is this ah...
It is surely nonsense but it is continuing because nobody has challenged this nonsense.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992