Importing Arms & Ammo into India

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:04 pm

hi i was in delhi at jain book shop cp c block. came across two book which might be useful. Arms Act and baggege act which gives some info on imports of arms. (not much) found it worth reading. cost around 200

cheers
nagarifle

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Importing Arms & Ammo into India

Post by mundaire » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:26 pm

Article Name: Importing Arms & Ammo into India
Author: mundaire
De.scription: Details the current laws and process to be followed while importing arms & ammo into India.

Category: Legal
Type: FAQ

>>Read Full Article
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

license for self protection and process of TR

Post by indian » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:05 am

hi everybody :D abhijeet especially :D decided to bring .357 mag after discussing with u but home dept. of andhra pradesh is asking for documents which prove my need for self protection.what r those :roll: also i have searched for info on TR extensively but nowhere its clearly mentioned.can i just carry the gun and declare at hyderabad airport as transfer baggage.i have permission to export from canada

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:56 am

Topics merged. Indian PLEASE do NOT start new threads on existing topics, as it becomes difficult for new users/ visitors to find info! For info on importing via TR, browse the earlier posts on this especially the 'knowledge base' article at - http://indiansforguns.com/kb.php?mode=article&k=12

For arms license applications, please check the 'knowledge base' article at - http://indiansforguns.com/kb.php?mode=article&k=2

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Importing Arms & Ammo into India

Post by indian » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:14 am

sorry abhijeet but the last question :? do i need to inform indian authorities prior to arrival in india.thanx in advance

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:02 pm

info please :) :)

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:13 pm

indian";p="33156 wrote: info please :) :)
Tsk tsk... :roll: read the rules please http://indiansforguns.com/app.php/page/rules - specifically rule 5.(h).

You can only 'bump' up your post AFTER six hours have elapsed from the last post on the topic...

Just for that, I'm not going to be posting my reply till tomorrow... :mrgreen:

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:31 am

waiting for your reply abhijeet :D no bumping this time,until next 6 hours :D :D

mittu_in
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Imported .22 pistol ($250 or Rs 10,000)

Post by mittu_in » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:10 pm

I ve heard that if you are a NPB pistol/revolver license holder and you are member of a shooting club then its not very difficult to import a .22 pistol directly from overseas. I surfed a few imported guns websites like Ruger, Smith & wesson, Colt, Browning etc and came to know that these popular brands are providing .22s only for $250 to $500. Here in INDIA we ll not get it even if we are willing to pay 10-20 times the price. A new IOF .22 Revolver in INDIA costs around $1000 which is nothing as compared to its imported compititors. Had somebody tried to import a .22 pistol/revolver. Please give suggestions.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Imported .22 pistol ($250 or Rs 10,000)

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:24 pm

mittu_in";p="33265 wrote:I ve heard that if you are a NPB pistol/revolver license holder and you are member of a shooting club then its not very difficult to import a .22 pistol directly from overseas.
It's not all that difficult (relatively speaking) provided you achieve the Minimum Qualifying Score (MQS) for a .22lr pistol event at the Nationals.

Also, it isn't just a question of getting a MQS and then placing an online order. There's a shed load of paper work to be completed before you are given your import licence and only then can you import.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:12 pm

Therefore anything done while invoking the provisions of the Arms Act has to be done keeping in view the objectives for the realisation of which the Act was passed in the first place.

The Act was passed to enable a law abiding citizen of the country to accquire a firearm for his use for a legitimate purpose and thus remove an injustice that was done by the Arms Act of 1878.While the old Arms Act was passed with the objective of denying Indians firearms and restricting their ownership to only those sections of the Indian society that were considered loyal to them to avoid a repeat of the 1857 armed uprising,the new Act was meant to enable the Indian citizens to accquire firearms and at the same time,to deny them to antisocial elements.The Bill was infact examined by a Joint Committe of bot the the Houses of the Parliament( 30 from the Lok Sabha and 15 from the Rajya Sabha).The 'Statement of Objects and Reasons' states "...The rigours of the Arms Act and rules there under make it difficult for law abiding citizens to possess firearms for self defence whereas terrorists,dacoit gangs and other anti-social or anti-national elements are using not only civilian weapons but also bombs,hand -grenades,Bren guns,303 service rifles and revolvers of a military type, for perpetrating heinous crimes against society and the state."

penpusher

Have been following your fabulous revelation and while we all have bitched about it enough what is the action plan? Do we talk to more MPS & MLAs? Organize pamphlets and do a 'rang de basanti', how about a radio show? Will more jounalists print your arguments into the papers? I feel like a headless chicken raring to go but without direction.

Please let me know if you have a plan.

Dev

[/quote]
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:48 pm

hi abhijeet :D sorry to bother u again but my only question is that whether u have to inform the customs prior to arrival on transfer of residence?.......is it ok if i declare an imported handgun(for which an indian license will be there)in the airport i arrive..... :D

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:09 pm

Indian,

You are allowed to import a firearm into the country on TR.What you are allowed to import,you don't have to declare in advance.But you would need to declare it on arriving here.I would suggest that you carry the invoice of the purchase of the firearm.This would show that you have owned and possessed it for the last one year.Also,this would reveal the value of the firearm for calculating the Import duty.Carry a copy of the baggage rules allowing you to import a firearm on TR and also 50 cartridges.

Best of luck.

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:20 pm

thanks very much penpusher :D i plan to bring a .357 mag revolver :)

deeptrajectory
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

ammo import!

Post by deeptrajectory » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:55 pm

Hi all, can any body throw some light on the topic of ammo import? especially from eley..whose export lower limit is 50000 rounds and to our amusement the Indian Govt. allows import of 15000 only :roll: !!
cheers