Importing Arms & Ammo into India

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Import of arms and ammunition

Post by Sujay » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:57 pm

ashokpkl";p="12601 wrote:But, some has to go to New Delhi & start lobbying according to roadmap prepared by IFG. We can start small. An option would be to nurture industry in India to produce quality DBBL Shotguns, 30-06 Rifle & .22 Rimfire Rifles in India with quality ammunition. Later lobbying for allowing imorts could start.
How do you " nurture" an industry ? Indian Ordinance Factory Board is 'nurtured' by eliminating competition and ensuring that people are forced to buy their crap at rip off prices.

If you are suggesting lobbying in favour of allowing private manufactures to make and sell firearms in India, try to recall for e.g. that once the waiting period for Bajaj scooters used to be 5 years, an Ambassador car 3 years ; items on their way to oblivion. The scenario was the result of the policy of extreme protectionism.

Quality does not come voluntarily but rather from the need of it. Who is stopping Mehar Sing & Sons and other assorted licenced gunmakers from Mungher to churn out better products ? Why is the quality of National Airguns of Indian Humepipe at the best pedestrian in spite of that industry being non restrictive ? And this will last till the import of arms and ammuniton stays banned.

There is no logic in disallowing import of any item in India if that particular item is manufactured, sold and allowed to be possessed by its citizens ; except of course than to make sure that one is forced to buy the local stuff in absence of any choice.
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

For Advertising mail webmaster
ashokpkl
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ashokpkl » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:20 am

Sujay, it is true. It would require IFG to get a action plan / road map ready and get lobbying for imports. Let us hope they can be started with 1 centrefire rifle caliber and 1 rimfire caliber in 2008 at the latest. If there is a deadlock govt can be suggested to allow imports of single shot rifles like the Ruger No.1???

IOF can be the dealers!!!

ashokpkl
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ashokpkl » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:24 am

Sujay, that brings up another idea. Cannot we write to IOF top brass bringing to light [a] poor quality, lack of std calibers like 30-06, [c] lack of custom shop within IOF and requesting to revamp/redesign/lower price of the whole lineup. You post the letter we need to write and we can send couple of hundred letters to [a] IOF and Minister in charge of IOF.

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:15 am

ashokpkl";p="12618 wrote:Sujay, it is true. It would require IFG to get a action plan / road map ready and get lobbying for imports. Let us hope they can be started with 1 centrefire rifle caliber and 1 rimfire caliber in 2008 at the latest. If there is a deadlock govt can be suggested to allow imports of single shot rifles like the Ruger No.1???

IOF can be the dealers!!!
There cannot be a bargain. The import ban has to go.

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:20 am

ashokpkl";p="12619 wrote:Sujay, that brings up another idea. Cannot we write to IOF top brass bringing to light [a] poor quality, lack of std calibers like 30-06, [c] lack of custom shop within IOF and requesting to revamp/redesign/lower price of the whole lineup. You post the letter we need to write and we can send couple of hundred letters to [a] IOF and Minister in charge of IOF.

You think it is unintentional ?

Various audit reports have already been doing it .... since ages.

ashokpkl
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ashokpkl » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:34 pm

But, once again - do we IFG plan to make a difference in 2007? Otherwise 2008 will be no better.

shahid

Post by shahid » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:04 am

Yest absolutely. For starters, import ban must go totally. Charging a custom duty of 30 to 40 % if above the permitted Rs. 12,000 limit, and a Luxury tax of another 10 % is fair, but that's it.

ashokpkl
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ashokpkl » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:32 am

So we all agree- now for the tougher parts - IFG has to contact all clubs / assocations / all interested heavyweights , get everyone togather and agreed on an plan which can be implemented - get it checked for weaknesses / oversights - and embark on the road to freedom from say sometime in mid 2007. I will wait for the good news.

trigger_time
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by trigger_time » Tue May 15, 2007 10:48 pm

I can think of only one way: after you get the NPB handgun license, look for a 2-year contract job offer in a country where you would be able to buy the Walther, even as a non-citizen. Buy it as soon as you can after you get there, so once you've had it for a year, you can apply to have it put on your Indian license as a transfer-of-residence firearm. When your job contract expires, return home and bring your gun with you (hopefully without harassment from Customs).

If this sounds impractical, I'm sorry, but with the 1986 import ban, it's all I could think of. Other, more experienced members may have other suggestions.

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Imported Handgun

Post by msandhu » Tue May 15, 2007 11:03 pm

Hi Trigger_time,
I have been in US for many years on work visa and i have a NPB license in India. I can legally buy and keep a gun in USA also ( since i have legal hunting licence also) . Does that mean that after 1 year, i can possibly take it to india on my Indian licence ??

Can you please clarify if i can import it and if yes then what is the procedure for importing it to india in this case ??

Regards
Mandeep

trigger_time
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by trigger_time » Tue May 15, 2007 11:10 pm

Mandeep,

In short, the answer is yes. If you give me 24 hours (I am at work now), I will explain in detail and post the links for the relevant rules from Indian Customs.

Regards,

Shurjo

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Tue May 15, 2007 11:16 pm

Mandy,
Only under the following conditions.
1)You need to own the firearm for atleast 1 yr before coming to India and it should be a NPB.
2)Only on a TR can you import the fire arm.
HTH.
Sanjay

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by msandhu » Tue May 15, 2007 11:24 pm

Hi Sanjay,
What is TR ??
Regards
Mandeep

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Tue May 15, 2007 11:28 pm

Transfer of Residence.
In your case that would mean that you are leaving the US for good if not atleast a couple of years.
And this is entered in yout Passport on return.
Sanjay

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue May 15, 2007 11:34 pm

Mandeep,

Shurjo and Sanjay are both right and the information that they have posted, put together, should be enough for you to take a pistol back when you return to India for good. If you return on a short trip, you won;t be permitted to take your gun with you.

TR means Transfer of Residence - you need to be moving back to India on a permanent basis. You do NOT need to have a license for the pistol in India and could get one after going there. Customs would hold the pistol until you get a license from the Commissioner of Police and produce it before them.

If you are planning to go back for good with a gun, send a letter by Certified mail to the nearest Indian Consulate and Notify them about it one year before you return to India. Include the registration number and photocopies of the bill etc in your letter. Then, before you return, get the pistol endorsed in your passport.

Sounds complicated but it is not that difficult if you go through the rules.

Cheers!

PS If you wait, there is a proposal to allow two guns to be brought back on TR. You just might find yourself lucky :wink: