Applying for an Arms License in India

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
darashp
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Applying for an Arms License in India

Post by darashp » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:37 pm

Yes i agry with mr.renjith 747 many officers in police stations have a less knowledge about arms act they do only when they guided by munshi after reading such notifications,they don,t have so much time to read the arms act 1958,rules 1962 .It,s really a practical thing in this line.

For Advertising mail webmaster
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:01 am

It is true that knowledge about law in police is usually not up to the mark. But they know very well the laws and loopholes which they can misuse to delay the matters, terrorize to extort bribes etc. Their brain also usually works in the direction how they can do things in a manner so that people bend to their wishes.

But anyways for the purpose of getting arms license, who should be more aware of the Arms Act 1959, its Rules and its Notifications? The police or the arms license applicants? Who wants the license? Police or arms license applicants?

Who issues the arms license? Is it the police officer in the police station or munshi in the police station? Neither of them, it is the licensing authority. In most of the states it is the District Magistrate who is designated as licensing authority under Arms Act 1959.

What is the legal role of police officer in the processing of arms license application? It is to find criminal records about you. Thats it. Basically if you are not offending Sections 9 and 14 of Arms Act 1959, do not have criminal records, you are to be issued an arms license. I agree the things are not as they are ideally supposed to be as per Arms Act 1959, it is true for almost everything connected with the government, isn't it? This does not mean that things cannot be improved. This is where the fight for your rights begins.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

tandavbaba
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by tandavbaba » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:24 pm

This is where the fight for your rights begins.
:cheers:
It's time to burn in HELL!!!!!!!

TotoHU
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by TotoHU » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:02 am

Dear Friends,

I am a new member and this is my very first post here. First of all let me introduce myself, I am Tamas from Hungary, Europe, and now spending 6 months in India. In my home country I'm a proud licensed gun owner, my main interest is 1st-2nd world war age military service rifles.
As now we will spend 6 months in Darjeeling region, and in Sikkim region with hiking, I am curious if there is any legal opportunities for non Indians (tourists) to own a smooth bore shotgun? If it is blackpowder gun, that would be fine as well. I am a little bit nervous about snakes and a short barrel shotgun would be an ideal solution for anti snake self defense.

Apart from this, we also have a pretty much same forum that is www.9mm.hu and so far I read here we have some similar issues as well. We are constantly fighting for our rights with the police, as in Hungary the police hates weapon owners and they allways try to find the smallest mistake to cancel our licences.
Owning a firearm in Hungary is only possible with sports or hunting purpose. Having a firearm for self defence is absolutely impossible for civilians, only for police and military officers. So for example my license is for hunting, despite I don't kill animals, just this was the easiest way to obtain a license. But with sports license we can have semi auto carbines as well. I don't have sports license I don't like modern guns. :-)

Thank you in advance for your kind answer!

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:28 pm

Foreigner can get a license for shotgun but it is not easy or quick.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:48 am

Arms License fee is prescribed in Arms Rules by the Central government. But the State Government is not respecting the law and extorting its own illegal fees.It is really surprising why High Court has not taken suo moto cognizance of this matter?
Govt targeting gun lovers
Made to pay Rs 10,000 for a Rs 20 form
Charanjit Bhullar
Tribune News Service

Bathinda, October 6
Cashing in on the Punjabis’ craze for guns, deputy commissioners in several Punjab districts have devised an ingenious way of enriching Suwidha Centres that have been set up to provide essential services to citizens. The arms licence fee is just Rs 100 and the Suwidha Centre takes Rs 700 as processing charges. The arms licence application form is priced at a mere Rs 20. But it is available at an exorbitant price of Rs 10,000 in Bathinda.

Clearly, getting an arms licence in Punjab has become a costly business. But, the high fee for an arms licence form appears farcical, especially in cases where a second-hand firearm like an ordinary 12 bore gun can be purchased for less than
Rs 10,000.

Earlier in Bathinda, one had to pay Rs 1,000 towards Red Cross Fund when applying for an arms licence. In 2012, the arms licence form fee was hiked to Rs 1,500 and in February 2013, the form, along with a licence copy, was priced at Rs 5,000. In July-end this year, Deputy Commissioner Basant Garg further hiked the fee to Rs 10,000. The money so collected goes into the Suwidha Centres. The administration says that the hike in the form fee is to curtail the increase in applications for arms licences. “Since licence forms were so cheap (Rs 20), anybody could apply,” Mohali Suwidha Centre in charge Charanjit Singh told The Tribune.

However, this argument has few takers. Says advocate NK Jeet: “Even though the money is going into official accounts, the hefty charge is illegal as it does not have any government sanction. The explanation that this is to curb the number of arms licences is laughable as filling a form does not result in grant of a licence. One has to undergo a detailed police verification and scrutiny.”

An RTI activist and a lawyer at the Punjab and Haryana High Court, HC Arora, said: “Increasing the fee without a government notification is incorrect. You can’t curtail services to users by imposing extra burden on them.” Suwidha Centres set up at the district headquarters provide 36 services and charge the public for the same. Earlier the fee was not uniform in all the districts but the State Administrative Reforms Commission on April 26, 2013 made it uniform across the state.

These centres are run by Sukhmani Societies headed by deputy commissioners. The society deposits 15 per cent of the amount from the total income with the Administrative Reforms Department. Government sources say the deputy commissioners of several districts had fixed an exorbitant fee for arms licence forms without any government notification. In many cases, due share (15%) from the collection was not being sent to the state exchequer.

It is learnt that the fee for the arms licence form is not uniform in the state. In Moga, it is Rs 5,000 (raised from Rs 500 earlier). In Muktsar, the form is available for Rs 3,500 with an additional Rs 3,500 taken as Red Cross Fund. In Sangrur, the form is available for Rs 5,000. It was available for Rs 1,250 till three months ago. In Mohali, too, it is available for Rs 5,000. In Barnala, the form is available for Rs 1,250 whereas earlier it cost Rs 100. In Mansa district, the form is available for Rs 5,000.

The Principal Secretary, Administrative Reforms, C Roul, said he was aware of the matter. “Since only the notified charges can be charged from consumers, the state-level committee has sent its report and soon such charges will be abolished”.

Exorbitant fee

The fee for an arms licence form is not uniform in the state

In Moga, it is Rs 5,000, raised from Rs 500 earlier

In Muktsar, the form is available for Rs 3,500 with an additional Rs 3,500 taken as Red Cross Fund

In Sangrur, the form is available for Rs 5,000. It was available for Rs 1,250 three months ago

In Mohali, it is available for Rs 5,000; it cost Rs 1,250 earlier

In Barnala, the form is sold for Rs 1,250; it earlier cost Rs 100

In Mansa district, the form is available for Rs 5,000 plus an additional Rs 1,000 for renewal of licence
Source http://www.tribuneindia.com/2014/20141007/punjab.htm#11

Phirozeirani
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Phirozeirani » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:50 am

There seems to be some action finally being taken on our outdated gun laws... Hopefully they make them gun friendly...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:09 am

Have been reading that when arms license applicants have mentioned the address of property they inherited or acquired in different State(in which they are not ordinarily residing.) The file is needlessly sent to that State, which causes needless delay and mental harassment. Received a PM from one member asking about permanent address for purpose of arms license application. Thought about sharing and discussing this matter.

Please refer Rule 51(b) of Arms Rules 1962. It says "may be presented by the applicant in person or sent through the medium of post office or otherwise, to the licensing authority, as far as possible, having jurisdiction in respect of the place where he ordinarily resides or has his occupation"

Please note the following words -

"ordinarily resides OR has his occupation"

So it appears the Arms Act is not concerned about permanent address. Neither there is question of duration of stay at particular address. If it is not mentioned in the statute it is irrelevant for purpose of the statute. Right to reside anywhere in India is fundamental right. It also means one can regularly keep changing his residence. How can then any residence or address be permanent? Thus I don't think or remember if there is anything in Arms Act or its Rules that talks of or defines permanent address. Similarly neither there is question of duration of stay at particular address. Condition to be fulfilled is "ordinarily resides OR has his occupation". Do double check what I am saying.

Is permanent address defined or mentioned in Arms Act or its Rules or any other statute? I doubt. I would appreciate if anyone can point me to any statute that defines permanent address. Right to vote is constitutional right. For this purpose even the Representation of the People Act does not define permanent address. If we read Section 19(b) of Representation of the People Act, one of the condition to vote "is ordinarily resident in a constituency". Section 20 defines meaning of "ordinarily resident". Nowhere it is talking of permanent residence or address. Even a homeless person can register as voter, get a voter id card and vote.

Now let us ask what can be the lawful definition of "permanent address" if it really exists or if it can really exist?

Is it inherited or self owned property only that can be permanent address?

On what basis an inherited or self owned property be considered permanent address, when one does not ordinarily reside there?

When inherited or self owned property is rented, sold, donated or gifted away, where is the permanence?

I do not think one is legally supposed to have a self owned accommodation to enjoy legal or fundamental rights. A tenanted accommodation can also be one's permanent address. Why not?

Yes one has an address that is "permanent", it is when he is taken to the burial ground to be buried or to the crematorium to be cremated. That is when his address becomes "permanent". Till then all addresses are temporary.

Yes it is important to not suppress or give wrong information that is asked by Arms Act or its Rules. But it is also needless and irrelevant to give needless and irrelevant information that is not asked by Arms Act or its Rules.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:28 pm

:agree: We are needlessly giving more information than is required.

Regards

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:32 am

This could be of some use in understanding the precursor in applying for a gun licence....

Briha

lima jamir
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by lima jamir » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:24 pm

Do i need that to buy a airsoft gun

gcgupta
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by gcgupta » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:57 am

Dear Admin. ann Members....
IN Family heirloom/inhertance basis.
My uncle( paternal uncle) can give me his gun and arm licence . Means license authority can give Arm licence in Family heirloom basis( chach to bhatija)
Plz give advice or suggestions

snehans
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

About Other Weapon Purchase

Post by snehans » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:04 pm

Dear,

Mai Varanasi Uttar Pradesh ka Rehne wala hu..
Mere Pas 12 Bore ki Single Barrel Gun Hai..
Mai chahta hu ki use Sell kar k Usi License par Koi Dusra Chota Weapon Buy Karu Because Single Barrel Gun Carry Karna Bahot Mushkil Sa Ho Raha Hai..
Kya mai is License par Revolver Ya Pistol Buy Kar Sakta Hun?
Agar han to Kripya Uchit Sujhaw Den..

Thanks
S.G.Singh

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:24 pm

Please post in English only.

You cannot buy a revolver on shotgun license. There is a different license for shotgun, rifle and handgun. Yours is a shotgun. If you want to buy a handgun like a revolver or a pistol, you have to apply for a handgun license.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:59 pm

Hi All,

Today I met a guy in my friends office. As we both are gun enthusiasts.. we were discussing about the laws..

He is from Bihar, son of an Ex-Army personnel. His father owned the a gun (DBBL) which he got transferred to him as family heirloom. All this has happened 6 years ago.

In our conversation, I asked how come he his carrying his gun to Hyderabad, Telangana. He mention that he has All India Validity :o . And he said after one year of holding the license, we can request for all India validity and AL will do it. Now this comes to my surprise. I have even asked him, if he has used alternate methods or mentioned the reason for extension. But he responded NO and said usually AL does not bother to extend validity, but a simple application request.

Can anyone here confirm this- after one year we can get area extension or all India validity without much fuss.
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”