Applying for an Arms License in India

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:33 pm

Hey,

Who is the licensing authority in mumbai. as in who takes the final decision about our license.

Thanx
Regards

Parag
Yeh dil maange more.....!!!

For Advertising mail webmaster
thevoyager
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Applying for an Arms License in India

Post by thevoyager » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:01 pm

My father expired in Nov.'05 and he left me a Double Barrel gun. I deposited the gun at a shop and have been trying to get a license for me since then. Now after 2.5 years, they have conveniently 'lost' my file and my advocate friend is advising me to apply afresh from Bangalore (where I work) instead of from my native, U.P. (where I applied earlier).

My question is: Is inheritance of a gun a valid and sufficient reason for getting a license? Or to strengthen my case should I also join some shooting club? If yes, how difficult/costly it is to join such club?

Thanks in advance,
Pravin.

ebenezer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Applying for additional weapon

Post by ebenezer » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:45 pm

Can someone clarify on this: I have a licence for a non-prohibited bore rifle and I'm in possession of a .22 rifle. If I were to apply for an additional weapon, a 12 bore, do I have to apply for a separate licence or apply for an additional weapon with the same licence.

Thanks in advance,
Ebenezer

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Applying for additional weapon

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:17 pm

Procedure and wording may change from place to place but in my case it was an application for a DBBL Gun, followed by an application for an additional SBBL Rifle.

These were endorsed on the licence as follows:

The licencee is permitted to purchase one DBBL gun as an additional weapon (2nd weapon) and produce for inspection on or before...

The licencee is permitted to possess one NPB Rifle (they missed out 'SBBL', so technically I could add a double rifle if I so wish) as an additional weapon (3rd weapon) and should produce for inspection on or before...

P.S.: All three firearms have been mentioned in the same licence booklet.

ebenezer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by ebenezer » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:34 pm

Thanks Mack The Knife

sudhaiob
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sudhaiob » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:19 pm

Hello ebenezer,
Even though the 2nd or 3rd weapon may be endorsed on the same licence, the licencing procedure is separate for each additional weapon and has to go through the same formalities again.
regs
sudhaiob

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by msandhu » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:30 pm

Lets say that i have a license which say that i can buy NPB firearm. it does not specifically say which type or caliber and i have a 12 guage DBBL gun on it. If i want a second weapon on it, do i need to go through all the formalities or can i just buy it and endorse it on my license ?
Regards
Mandeep

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:40 pm

Since the slot is already filled you will need to apply for whatever type of firearm you intend buying. You will only need to go through some of the formalities when applying for an additional firearm.

rahulk
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rahulk » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:20 pm

Hi Voyager,

My father expired in Apr 2008.
He was a gazzetted officer in enforcement department in UP Services and had a license
for pistol (Berreta 0.38, i am not sure with this) and a Rifle (IOF 3xx). We are three brothers, I am the youngest, my elder brothers are doctors and we all have our families and we are not young lads. My brothers have their house in Meerut and also we have commercial property in Meerut. I have my own house in Gurgaon where I live and work. Sorry to bog with these details will help me in explaining what I say now.

First thing, we surrendered father's license and other documents in collectrate and deposited the pistol and rifle and the ammo to a dealer who is known to our close relatives and obtained the receipts. This we did expecially because for obvious reasons we did not wanted to deposit the arms with police.

Then my brothers had meeting with the arms clerk in the collectrate and following was communicated:
1) Rest assured that there is no such concept as transfer of license
2) Rest assured also that there is no such concept as of inheriting the firearms
3) My brothers will have to apply for fresh license for pistol and rifle. And if the licenses are given then with rifle it will be
ok but for handgun it will be 0.32 at max and they might end up selling off the 0.38 and getting a 0.32 revolver or
pistol on the new license.
Arms Clerk further communicated:
1) Things are hot right now because recently ther was an expose where UP Admin had issued a lot of licensed (Including
All India Licenses also) and a scrutiny proved that many of these people were with criminal background. Further
investigations are still on. I remeber seeing such an article in national daily. He said further, there is nothing to worry
about as things will again be normal in 1-2 months.
2) Strange enough but he also propsoed for me to apply for a third license for handgun and the reasons he proposed can
be following
a) My domicile is still Meerut as I was born and had schooling and then further education in UP
b) As I am also the co-owner for the commercial property in Meerut so I frequently visit the place and as we know the
crime graph is going high in both the places so more the need for protection
c) I have a house and job in Gurgaon so that makes me eligible for interstate license
d) And now the most interesting one - When you will be applying for 2 licenses why not apply for 3 and close the issue?
3) Postive points that can be used can be as folows
a) The guns were in house for several decades and there have been no untoward instances and complaints
b) Protection of property, self and family is applicable
Of course I understand that there will be somethings which we will have to take care of but I believe that is part and parcel of life.

I am not sure that whether the above helps or not but I just wanted to share.

Sincerely,
rahulk

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:48 am

Rahul,

I'd just like to correct you on a couple of points:

In .38 calibre ONLY the .38 S&W/ .38-200 (which is a rimmed revolver cartridge) is classified as PB, others such as .38 ACP, .380 etc. are all classified as NPB.

9 mm's are also actually .38's but ONCE AGAIN ONLY the 9x19mm aka 9mm parabellum aka 9mm Luger is classified as PB. Others like 9mm short/ kurz etc. are all NPB.

PB/ NPB has nothing to do with size/ power of the cartridge, it is merely based on which cartridges are "in service" with the security forces (police, army etc.). So .40 S&W, 10mm, .44 magnum, .45 long colt, .38 special, .357 magnum etc. etc. are ALL examples of NPB (handgun) calibres.

Of course, it would be a stretch to expect licensing clerks to understand the finer points of calibre classification. :P

"Transfer of family heirloom" is a legally valid reason for applying for an arms license.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

rahulk
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rahulk » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:49 am

Hi,

I was able to verify late last night that dad's pistol is 0.32.

Sincerely,
rahulk

baretta
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

applying for a GUN license in MUMBAI

Post by baretta » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:01 pm

[Brother,
all i got to say is best of luck. a friend of mine applied , he had to shell out some 30K to a local Neta and still it took over a year. Just hope that you have some connection up in the MANTRAYALA. taugh iv heard that they have opened the issue of licenses.again depending upon what kind of weapon that you are trying to Endorse on the license. i was trying to register a gun club for the past 3 yrs only thing that moved was my hope from optimistic thinking to pessimistic thinking. all that happened was my file became so thick with papers with similar kind of objections.
so brother you need to have all the patience that you can muster up and apply. you will get the forms from the commissioners office. you will need to get your police report, main thing is that you need to explain as to why do you need to keep a weapon.
all the very best.
cheers
vik

DEATH PLANT
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

I NEED HEL PLS/....

Post by DEATH PLANT » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:04 pm

ROOKIE,,,,,
hy i live in bangalore and i need all the information abt arms licence...
like the total amount that i should pay inoreder 2 get my licence,,,
where 2 get the basic form 2 apply 4 my licence,,in bangalore
pls help..... i don't knw nothing,,,, and i need a piece for marksmenship...
THANK U..

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:41 pm

welcome to the forum DP please take the time to Introduce ur self.

please check out the legal section its all there in black and white.

the form can be had from any issuing authority ie the Police , DM office of down loaded from the forum.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

cherian.k.k
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

got my licence

Post by cherian.k.k » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:32 am

hello to all the brothers in arms
i excited to inform you all that today i got all india licence for my iof.22 revolver. it took oe and half years. licence is for sports only as in kerala now they give licence for sport only
will put a photo soon
cherian.k.k