Applying for an Arms License in India

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:10 pm

Nitin,

I am not sure if a licence can be transfered to another's name.

As far as I understand, you need to apply for a Non-Prohibited Bore DBBL Gun licence. Once this is granted you can transfer your father's gun to your licence.

In the meanwhile I suggest you deposit the gun with a gunshop or with the police. I would suggest the former as the police may not take care of the gun. You could also request the gunshop owner to advice you on how to go about renewing your father's licence...assuming it's possible.

Wait for a few more replies as I am not too clued on about the legal aspects.

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
sudhakardm
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Applying for an Arms License in India

Post by sudhakardm » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:07 am

Abhijeet,

I have seen people applying license at the district level and they produce a certificate of 'security personnel'. That too private. They have got karnataka state license. Is there is any such provision ?

Thx
Sudhakar

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Arms Licence... residence question

Post by archer » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:54 pm

hey guys,
had a doubt in my mind .... i wanted to apply for my licence .....i live in Mumbai .... but spend a large chunk of my time in Lonavala ( own a house over there ) ..... so can i apply for my licence from Lonavala ..... or i have to apply for it from Mumbai .....

thanks & regards

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:21 pm

Do you still have property in lonavala??if yes you can apply.BTW how long did u stayed there??do you haveany existing Govt.document to proof your residence there.
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Arms Licence ....

Post by archer » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:41 pm

i have owned the house for abt a year and a half ....... i do have documents... (the tax documents etc) to support my claim ..... btw .... has anyone applied from lonavala .... if yes then could u guide me with the same ....

thanx
regards

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:57 am

Whichever place you apply from, you will have to provide particulars of all places you have resided at in the past 5 years. So, lets say you do apply from Lonavala - you will still need to provide details of your Mumbai residence(s) including "from and to" years of residence.

As per procedure the licensing authority will send your application/ file for police verification to all of the local Police Stations, within whose jurisdiction you have resided during the past 5 years...

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

shadow
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Fresh application-Need guidance!

Post by shadow » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:50 pm

Dear champs,
Im in the process of learning & understanding the process, procedure & implications (both legal & social) in owning an arms license. The drive is a sheer passion of having a pistol (may read it as self-defense). I found some answers in the queries posted by other friends. However, maybe I missed out on this particular one about mentioning "NEED of possessing a weapon". The only need I see for my pursuance is self-defense. But I maybe questioned as to whom do I have a threat from? Could you pls guide me as to is there a law which can extend a citizen license even if he/she is NOT a VIP, exporter/importer,businessman,person under threat of extortion/assasination or a sportsperson in shooting? What do I mention, that I am a common citizen who inspite of having full faith in the police system, need a weapon to protect my family & self?!? Pls help!

I love knives too & have started in a slow & steady manner, not expensive ones but definitely decoration pieces ranging from Rs 600 - Rs 4500 ( a straight blade sword almost 2.5')...Also wanted to check if one needs any license for importing swords from US. I came across some marvellous ones during my recent visit to San Fransicso, the ones they actually show in war movies! They were roughly 4' with mind-blowing handles & carvings on the blade!

cherian.k.k
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cherian.k.k » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:32 pm

hello shadow
i recommant u first to take membership at the local club. when u apply, the need should be given as sports& self protection.if possible u wait for the local club to finish their dist. competionbefore appling.ask them for letter stating that u r a active member which make you dist level competitive shooter .this will give them reason why you want a gun.
cherian.k.k

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:06 pm

hi
does anyone know when applying for firearms licence where it say(12) "form in which licence is required" what does this means?

thanks
nagarifle
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:49 am

nagarifle";p="33918 wrote: hi
does anyone know when applying for firearms licence where it say(12) "form in which licence is required" what does this means?

thanks
nagarifle
there are different forms of licence related to fire arms and there are specific number for each type,i dont remember the numbers,but they are as follow
For club license-i think it is form 6
For NP bore guns- form 3 (not sure)
for repairing -
for manufacturing
For selling arms & Ammo
etc etc.
so you have to mention in which form do u require a license,sorry i dont remember the number for each catagory
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:11 pm

soory Abhijeet, soon after i posted i knew that i misfired.

hi badshah0522
what i ment was on form 3 (NPB)para/part 12 states" in which form licence is required". What does it mean? Any idea?

ta very much
nagarifle
Nagarifle

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:56 pm

Naga,

Please see Indian Arms Rules 1962 SCHEDULE-II>>>

It should help clear up things a bit...

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:28 am

Hi Abhijeet
thanks for that, i followed the link, good work there. :lol:
However i did not find the soultion to my Q. what i am trying to find out is that; on the application form, when applying for firearms, there is one part around the end of the form, section 12, which states
"in which form licence is required" what does this mean? i an trying not to be pain in the rifle butt. :twisted: i just do not understand what this means! or to what this refers to. please advice.

thanks
Nagarifle

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:52 am

Naga,

The info is there within Indian Arms Rules 1962 SCHEDULE-II and a bit of it in SCHEDULE-I. SCHEDULE-I lists out the type of arms etc. and SCHEDULE-II lists out the form in which the license would be issued based on need/ type/ area of validity.

For example - NPB DBBL Gun, NPB Pistol, NPB Rifle etc.

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:35 pm

Thanks mate will check it out ,

Nagarifle
Nagarifle