Applying for an Arms License in India

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:46 am

Congrats !

License for .22 revolver... ?? They should've endorsed your license with "NPB Revolver / Pistol" and it is up to you which one to buy.... or am I wrong ?

For Advertising mail webmaster
saahil
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: got my licence

Post by saahil » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:42 pm

hi cherian kkkkkkk
concrats buddy on your priced possession. i know you must be on cloud no nine :D .it dosent matter which pics you post because even if you post a pic of your license then also its equally valueable as a gun, because you can easily get a gun in grey market but i very well know what it takes to lay your hand on a arms license. in our state its a rarest of rare case if you get a A/L. in my area's P.S. i was the one who got license after the gap of 15 long years. now you must be carrying your gun from kashmir to kanyakumari. :evil:

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by msandhu » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:39 pm

Olly";p="49450 wrote:Congrats !

License for .22 revolver... ?? They should've endorsed your license with "NPB Revolver / Pistol" and it is up to you which one to buy.... or am I wrong ?
If you apply for a specific type of license, the babus will give license for that caliber only. You have to ask them to give a general NPB license.
Cheers
Mandeep

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:21 am

when a person applies for a NPB handgun licence, does he/she have to mention what cal handgun he intends to buy. so if .45ACP is NPB in mumbai area, is there any difference in a .45ACP lic and a .32 ?

thanx
regards

Parag
Yeh dil maange more.....!!!

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:58 am

Archer, in Bangalore, at least, it is not necessary to mention the calibre you want the firearm in.

As far as calibre goes, all three of my licences are 'open'.

rhandle
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by rhandle » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:51 pm

I am working on my license since Feburary, till now it has reached just the SP office.

Will be going tomorrow, having my fingers crossed!
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the wine I drink I feel shame. Then I think about the workers in the vineyards and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this wine, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this wine and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.”
- Jack Handy

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by msandhu » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:52 pm

rhandle";p="51980 wrote:I am working on my license since Feburary, till now it has reached just the SP office.

Will be going tomorrow, having my fingers crossed!
That's bureaucracy .. but don't give up.. someday it might come through

Cheers
Mandeep

rhandle
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by rhandle » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:15 pm

Well Well... The SP took a sudden off, have been called back on Friday!!
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the wine I drink I feel shame. Then I think about the workers in the vineyards and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this wine, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this wine and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.”
- Jack Handy

coltpython
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

licence

Post by coltpython » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:03 pm

Can you tell me the legal age to get a arms licence and its procedure

rocky_cruise
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Guide me in applying for handgun licence

Post by rocky_cruise » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:06 pm

Hi Gun Gurus !

I am planning to apply for a pistol license. Please advise on the following points :

1. I am basically from Gujarat but working and staying in Bangalore for past 2 years in the same residential address. Can I apply for the licence in Bangalore or I should apply for it in my hometown ?
2. I am joining the KSRA in a month and plan to apply for the licence under the targer shooting(sports) category. Is it good to apply under this category or I should apply with some other reason ?
3. Please let me know whether I can apply right away or I should be a member for about a year and then apply
4. If I apply for sports category, which is a conveincing option for the authorities - .22 or a .32 ?(IOFB only produces .32 pistols. In the .22 category they have only revolvers and I am not interested in revolver. Also I cant buy any handgun apart the IOFB ones as the others are too expensive)
5. Are there any lawyers in Bangalore who can help me in this procedure or its better to apply on my own. If lawyers are available how much do they charge as fees ?

Thanks and Regards,
Rocky

rhandle
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by rhandle » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:51 pm

Well the gun license my experience is bad till now.

I had applied for my license in Feburary. Since 80 I am in UP, but was born in Bihar. My Dad was in airforce so we kept moving till I was 8 yrs and we settled in UP.

The only period I have spent in Bihar was the initial months of my life. The SP office from here has sent the file to Bihar for verification... imagine that! Fortunately my uncle still stays over there so he was able to verify. I shudder to think that what would have happened to people who were born while in rented place or a place where they have now no relatives.

What did the authorities thought, I would have molested the nurse or killed the doctor after being born. This is in spite of giving all my education proofs from '80s and residence proofs, and passport and every possible document you can think of.

So I really dont know how good/easy it would be for you to apply in Banglore. Guess we have few people from bangalore here who would be able to tell you the right way and may guide you to right person.

BTW if you do it yourself it wud be very cheap as compared to getting through some tout. Remember that tout would do nothing but telling you the right places to go which you can find yourself.
- Jack Handy

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:11 pm

rocky_cruise";p="55427 wrote: Hi Gun Gurus !

I am planning to apply for a pistol license. Please advise on the following points :

1. I am basically from Gujarat but working and staying in Bangalore for past 2 years in the same residential address. Can I apply for the licence in Bangalore or I should apply for it in my hometown ?
2. I am joining the KSRA in a month and plan to apply for the licence under the targer shooting(sports) category. Is it good to apply under this category or I should apply with some other reason ?
3. Please let me know whether I can apply right away or I should be a member for about a year and then apply
4. If I apply for sports category, which is a conveincing option for the authorities - .22 or a .32 ?(IOFB only produces .32 pistols. In the .22 category they have only revolvers and I am not interested in revolver. Also I cant buy any handgun apart the IOFB ones as the others are too expensive)
5. Are there any lawyers in Bangalore who can help me in this procedure or its better to apply on my own. If lawyers are available how much do they charge as fees ?

Thanks and Regards,
Rocky
1. You need to apply at the place at which you are normally resident and where you intend to keep the gun. You would need to furnish details of all places you have resided at within the past 5 years, the police verification file would be circulated amongst all the police stations under whose jurisdictions these supplied addresses are. In interstate verification procedures, the file does invariably get delayed or lost. But being dishonest on your application is a sure fire way to ensure that you will be rejected outright!

2. Apply for the license stating a reason/ need for which you can provide sufficient evidence to back up your claims. Again, don't be dishonest or you will be rejected.

3. & 4. answered in detail in the Knowledge Base article under this thread. Do take the time to read it in totality.

5. Sure, in India we certainly have more lawyers than litigants ;) - shouldn't be hard to find someone who is an Arms Act expert and would be willing to take your case. No clue as to the fees, but I doubt if a good professional would come cheap.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

harrysall
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Applying for an Arms License in India

Post by harrysall » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:41 pm

I applied for a shot gun License 3 months back in Delhi with all the documents that they asked for,with in 15 days all the police verification was done ,now the file is stuck some where in ACP office.The phone No provided for inquiry is never attended. Once a person from reception attended my call & he said "I can forward your call to the extension No but No one will respond to your call".So can any one guide me what to do now?
thanks
harinder

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:16 am

how does one find out the status of my application. my police verification was done, havent heard from them since then. its been almost 4 months now. i went to the local police station, they said that the forwarded my file long time back.

should i go to the CPs office and check? at the CPs office, whom should i approach?

thanx
regards
Parag
Yeh dil maange more.....!!!

jayanta mukherjee
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by jayanta mukherjee » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:38 am

Hello Parag,
Definitely go to the CPs office or the best way according to my personal opinion and without prejudice to your other rights is to send them a Right to Information slip enquiring about the status of the licence. Well all you need to do is to find out that you has been designated as the information officer and address the printed form to him attaching a Rs. 10 court fee. I think that will be more fruitful in your case.
Cheers
Jayanta
LAWYERS FIGHT FOR RIGHTS.... AN ARMED CITIZEN PROTECTS THEM
"GOD IS NOT ON THE SIDE OF THE BIGGEST BATTALIONS, BUT OF THE BEST SHOTS." ~ VOLTAIRE