Can a foreign national apply for an Indian Arms licence?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Can a foreign national apply for an Indian Arms licence?

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:16 pm

If you do not get an answer here in reasonable time, try to PM ruger_rugged probably he knows how to go about getting a license in India, if someone is bringing firearm on TR from abroad. Once you get the answer please publish it here so that all can also know the procedure.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

For Advertising mail webmaster
mamamia
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by mamamia » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:37 pm

I only read one member by name Anand has successfully brought a weapon from US under TR guideline. However he had a pre-existing license hence no worries.

@Good Boy Mentor.

Thanks for the suggestion. I read quite a few posts of yours on this forum and they are very informative, specially the ones on legal matters. I had no clue that things are so damn difficult here in India when it comes to firearms.

Kamal Rao
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Kamal Rao » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:44 pm

Dear Friends,

I am working as Journalist in UK and before that I worked as Crime Reporter in Gujarat. I am holding .32 Bore NP Arm Licence from last 10 years. Is it possible for me to holding licence after getting British Citizenship. Right now I am Indian Citizen But in May I will apply for British Citizenship.

I sold my Pistol in last January to avoid any cause, Can I hold licence after the British Citizenship?

Pl. guide me about this issue.

Kamal Rao

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:19 pm

Arms licenses are not issued on basis of citizenship. They are issued on basis of residence. If you are residing in India you can get an arms license regardless of whether you are Indian citizen or citizen of any other country.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

asur74
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by asur74 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:51 pm

Dear Friends I want categorical and precise answers for my following questions.
1) Can a Foreign National apply for Arms Licence in India, if yes, under which sections or Rules of Arms Act.
2) What should be the procedure if he is from the Consulate. Please specify sections and rules.
I will be very thankful for early replies.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:59 pm

1) Of course a foreign national can apply and get arms license. Even there is a High Court judgement related to this matter, it may be read at http://www.indiankanoon.org/doc/436661/ He may apply on Form A under Rule 51 as prescribed in Schedule III of the Arms Rules 1962, license will be issued as per Section 13(3)(b) of Arms Act 1959. Depending on the facts of the case, Rules 17, 32, 44 of the Arms Rules 1962 may apply. If he also wants to bring the arms and ammunition into or take out of India and does not satisfy Section 10(1)(b) of Arms Act 1959, then he may also need a license under Section 10 of Arms Act 1959.

2) No separate procedure or law. When the heads of some State visit, it is said their security staff is sometimes given exemption by the Central Government to bring in and possess their own arms and ammunition. If he has diplomatic immunity, his country should get it confirmed from his host country whether it also covers to bring in and possess the firearms for his self protection. Most probably the answer is no, then he may have to apply for an arms license as mentioned above.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:05 pm

Foreign citizens who enjoy diplomatic immunity are exempt from provisions of the Arms Act relating to import of firearms & ammunition, as are Indian diplomats belonging to the Indian Foreign Service. There is a Govt. notification to the effect, if need be I can dig it up.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:21 pm

II.14.G.S.R 282, dated the 15th February 1978 - In exercise of the powers conferred by section 41 read with section7 of the Arms Act 1959(54 of 1959), the Central Government being of the opinion that it is expedient in the public interest to do so, hereby exempts her Royal Highness Ashi Phuntso Chodden, Senior Royal Grand Mother of Bhutan, presently residing in Darjeeling, from the operation of section 10 of the said Act in so far as it relates to firearms and ammunition brought into India, namely,-

(1) One automatic Rifle Colt AR-15 cal 223, 556MM No.015522 made in U.S.A 9Colts P.F.A. Mfg.Co., Hartford Conn) with 100 live bullets,

(2) One automatic Pistol Browning F.No. 9MM, MKI No.4T905 made in Canada(H.P.INGLIS) with 60 live bullets,

(3) One automatic Pistol No.414526-S(Baby)- Cal 6M/M-35 by Fabrique national D.Arms DC Guerre Herstal Belgique Browning Patent Depose, with 25 rounds of bullets,

(4) One automatic Rifle Cal 223 serial no. 015439 Gin Colt AR-15 Mfg.Co. Hartford, Conn, U.S.A. with 100 round of bullets,

subject to the condition that the aforesaid firearms and ammunition shall not be transferred to anyone in India for consideration or otherwise.

(Ministry of Home Affairs, No.21/22/76-GPA-V) (Gazette of India, 1978, Part II, Section 3(i), Page 41)
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

ankur_ank007

Post by ankur_ank007 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:59 pm

Please refer to Ashok Kumar Harakchand Shah Vs State of Gujarat in High Court of Gujarat. :)

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:06 am

what does it say, since you have the info why not post it
Nagarifle

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:20 am

nagarifle, the Ashok Kumar Harakchand Shah Vs State of Gujarat has been discussed on this website and the entire judgment is also available on the internet. It is a judgment that says non citizen can also obtain arms license as per Arms Act 1959. Otherwise nothing special about this judgment.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:21 pm

thanks mate
Nagarifle