Exemption from depositing Arms during elections

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Exemption from depositing Arms during elections

Post by TC » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:41 am

Doc,
I congratulate you once again for carrying on with such determination. Let us wait and see what happens at the High Court.
As far as I can see, the exemption path has to be approached keeping the NRAI clause completely out. It will only dilute the argument and take the attention away from the spirit of the original order of the EC. As Ashok has pointed out, this should be the ideal situation:
ashokgodara wrote:Dr.jayakumar
sad to hear that.i think rajasthan police is only following correct orders.they have prepared a list of peoples who have criminal background,on bail and are regarded to cause threat in elections only arms of these people are being deposited thanks
TC

For Advertising mail webmaster
vkpd
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vkpd » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:02 pm

Vkpd,i think this order can be interpreted as per likes and dislikes as it isn't clear.
here is a link to recent order.http://www.thenrai.in/images/documents/ ... m.pdf.this states that all members at different level.
Dr.Jayakumar, Yes, I've seen that order prevoiously and the wordings of the order have remained the same since 1996. It says - "allows the members of the NRA at different levels...." . The cops would argue that it does not say 'All the members of the NRAI' - you are right, one could interpret the order as per ones benefit.

What is however interesting is that I had earlier shot a mail to the Secretary, NRAI in Delhi seeking clarification on the matter, excerpts of which are as follows:

"....With the election month beginning shortly, I have received representation from the local police station to deposit my arms & ammunition in accordance with the order's of the Election Commission.

I have just viewed the notification dated 21.3.14 from the Secretary ECI on your web site that exempts members of NRAI at 'all levels' from depositing their Arms.I wish to know whether this exemption covers all members of the NRAI or only those few who are actively participating in Shooting Competitions? I have not as yet participated in any shooting competition.

Kindly revert at your earliest convenience, as I will have to clarify the same with the Officer at the police station if I have to seek exemption from depositing my arms....."

To which I received a mail this morning saying:

Dear Vkpd,

We wish to inform you that members of NRAI is exempted from depositing their weapon during election time.

Regards

RAJIV BHATIA
Secretary

What do you make out of this Doc? I don't know whether you are a NRAI member, but if you are, I wonder whether you could make The Secretary NRAI a party & get him to depose in your case.

Also, since I have not deposited my arms as yet...I wonder whether I should take on the cops at the PS on the strength of this mail & other documents...

vkpd

gwattal
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by gwattal » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:08 am

apparently only criminals who can influence an election are required to deposit arms. i have attached the allahabad high court order. since i am in UP it should apply to us. I dont know the status for other states. It talks of right to life.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:21 pm

gwattal wrote:apparently only criminals who can influence an election are required to deposit arms. i have attached the allahabad high court order. since i am in UP it should apply to us. I dont know the status for other states. It talks of right to life.
Thanks gwattal.
As far as my knowledge goes India is one country with one Constitution that applies to all. If one state high court passes an order that generally pertains to law and order (despite that being a state subject under the Constitution) and Arms Act (which applies all across the federation) this order can be referred to from any part of the country.

TC

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:44 pm

What do you make out of this Doc? I don't know whether you are a NRAI member, but if you are, I wonder whether you could make The Secretary NRAI a party & get him to depose in your case.

Also, since I have not deposited my arms as yet...I wonder whether I should take on the cops at the PS on the strength of this mail & other documents...

vkpd
vkpd

I am a member of madurai rifle club,which is affiliated to national rifle association.i have a shooters ID from NRAI.i had wriiten to NRAI and this was the response from Hon secretary ''Dear Dr. Jayakumar

Pl visit the nrai website ( www.thenrai.in) in this matter - there is clear instructions form the election commission on the same''.
today was the argument in madras high court,i am yet have details.will update as soon as i hear from my lawyer.
by the way if the cops haven't asked for it don't bother.
regards
dr.jk

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:01 am

After a brief argument,high court has ordered the DM to pass order's according to election commission's model code of conduct.will be receiving the court orders by tommorow.
though this isn't a direct verdict,some relief.
regards
dr.jk

gwattal
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by gwattal » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:55 pm

allahabad high court orders the release of weapons deposited on "general orders" passed on account of elections. high court order attached
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:26 pm

Thank you for posting this here gwattal, I am sure it will be of great help to those who are fighting to retain their legally held firearms :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

gwattal
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by gwattal » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:17 pm

There is no mention of "renowned shooters" or members of nrai. This applies to all.

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:58 am

HERE is the court order.not a direct order,but should have a positive effect.
regards
dr.jk

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:00 pm

Thanks Doc.

TC

vkpd
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vkpd » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:28 pm

After having previously received a written notice from the local PS to deposit my arms, I responded by submitting the Election Commission 's standing order dated 21.3.14 along with previous orders exempting NRAI members from depositing their arms. The cops sat on the documents for a day...but guess what..they bought it....don't have to deposit my arms.
Doc...looks like I won this one without having to go to court!
Best of luck to you...Cheers.

vkpd

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:53 pm

if you could tell us which state this is
Nothing has shaped the history more than a Gun

vkpd
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vkpd » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:44 am

Farook, I belong to quiet hill station in North Bengal....I suspect the decision to permit me to keep my weapons was taken within the confines of the authority present in the local police station itself...unless of course they had received previous instructions in the matter from the State HQ's in Kolkata.

vkpd

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:00 am

vkpd wrote:After having previously received a written notice from the local PS to deposit my arms, I responded by submitting the Election Commission 's standing order dated 21.3.14 along with previous orders exempting NRAI members from depositing their arms. The cops sat on the documents for a day...but guess what..they bought it....don't have to deposit my arms.
Doc...looks like I won this one without having to go to court!
Best of luck to you...Cheers.

vkpd
You have some sensible authorities vkpd.
the court has given a week to DM to respond,if not i'll have to appeal.
regards
dr.jk