Bedford Gun Auction (pics included)

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Bedford Gun Auction (pics included)

Post by Vikram » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:35 am

Last Thursday, I had the good fortune of meeting Grumpy again and visit the Bedford gun auction. I have been looking forward to it for sometime as I desperately wanted something to relieve the ennui of the uneventful life. And it did wonders to my mental well being. Of course the torture of just looking at these guns, you have to deal with it.

I was the first to reach the auction all at Bedford as Grumpy was collecting his guns from Birmingham. After we registered ourselves, we went to check his guns kept in his Cherokee.As we stood on the street holding those guns,appreciating them,discussing them etc, people just drove past without blinking an eye.The parking inspectors didn't even bother to look at us save for checking the windscreen for the parking ticket. :shock: :lol:

I will let the pictures speak for them selves rather than the words.

People checking the guns before the auction starts.

This .45 Colt style percussion revolver went for exactly 45 quids. Name the movie in which it was used frequently.

Gun cases

Collectible cartridges

Air rifles - Frankly quite disappointing as I went looking for specific models.

Logan's PCP air rifle.Went for 550 pounds

Another Victorian era brass mounted,ivory studded J.Lang air rifle went for, hold your breath, 2,200 pounds. :shock:

Check this out! :shock:

Some fishing tackle for Mack The Knife& C0

Knives and bayonets

I loved those bayonets.

Those peace makers jumped into my hands like they have been waiting.

An Artillery Luger with 7" barrel

Gun actions

The gent who bought these didn't know what to do with them and kept on asking people if they wanted them.Grumpy tells me that the black action is of a Sauer202.

This Browning Diana went for 4000 pounds.

Went for 300 pounds.

The poacher's gun in .410 gauge

That's a .22 rifle

A pair of very boring looking Williams Powell -5200 pounds

The Baikals were a revelation and I absolutely loved a Merkel OU with a game stock.I could afford it. :cry:

Don't ask me of the prices this time.I was furious at my situation. I could buy not just passable guns but very decent guns and not just one at a time even with my limited means, Winchester diamond grades,Super 101s etc.I can not buy guns as I do not have a place to store them. :evil: Something I intend to change soon.

Alright, few .22 rifles went for 10,15,20 etc pounds and some perfectly functional Spanish and Russian SXS and O/Us for as low as 30 pounds.Sabe?

You wouldn't know what an encyclopedic treasure Grumpy is. I learnt so much in those few hours than I do from just reading.He very generously invited me for some shooting training when the summer comes.Thanks Grumps.

Mehul,now tell us,when are you coming to England as you have been threatening to.I demand thee.

Best-

Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:46 am

Vikram

Nice read like always..cant you buy and store them with a gun dealer? Arent those old Khukhris?
Rgds

mehulkamdar

Re: Bedford Gun Auction (pics included)

Post by mehulkamdar » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:10 am

Vikram,

A superb post and as I expected it to be! 8) I am looking forward to visiting the UK very soon along with Mark (he loves the country too) and your pictures are not making it easy to stay away. :D

The prices realised for some of the guns are enough to bring tears to the eyes of American buyers. Both online as well as traditional auctions here realise prices that are much higher in most cases. In any case, I do look forward to visiting there and meeting many good friends. I shan't delay very long.

Cheers!

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:59 pm

Thats a super post and great pictures.....Was amazed to see all those old boxes of Eley ammunition...din't know that old ammo sells there.

AC

danish21
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by danish21 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:01 am

Mind blowing pics vikram... thanks for posting these amazing photos.

Danish

to_saptarshi
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by to_saptarshi » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:21 am

Beautiful Post Vikram with very nice pictures. BTW are there Stick Guns also. These are very rare I believe.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:22 am

Vintage shotgun cartridges are very collectible and make good money........sometimes extraordinary money. There are usually considerably more at this auction.
The pair of William Powells made a decent price for what were very plain guns. The Browning Diana was nice - alhough not exactly cheap.
I was disappointed to discover that a patent J.V.Needham double had horribly pitted barrels. A rarely seen gun nowadays.
I think that I got the best English gun at the auction - and for a flabbergastingly low price. Sometimes we get lucky ....... often we don`t !

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:27 am

Very Nice.Amazing pictures Vikram.
I can see a .22 airgun Bsa Underlever,(its the same as i have one,earlier discussed in one of my post,can u give sume price idea for it,if u remember.)

Saptrashi I have a .410 bore stick gun in complete funtional condition ,but unable to get its licence renewed.
to_saptarshi";p="14512 wrote: Beautiful Post Vikram with very nice pictures. BTW are there Stick Guns also. These are very rare I believe.
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:02 pm

As always great Post Vikram! :)
badshah0522";p="14520 wrote:Saptrashi I have a .410 bore stick gun in complete funtional condition ,but unable to get its licence renewed.
Ah! My maternal uncle has one too... same calibre.... same situation! Currently deposited with the police...

BTW - I was under the impression that handguns were banned in the UK.... So how come so many at the auction? Or is there a provision in the law allowing these to be kept by "collectors" on a special license, maybe?

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:25 pm

Abhijeet, there is a 99.9% chance they are deactivated.

You can still own handguns in the U.K. provided they have a 12" barrel and a long wrist brace (I think overall length needs to be 600mm or so) or if they happen to be muzzle loading.

Vikram, thanks once again for a lovely post.

Mack The Knife
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:28 pm

Thanks gentlemen for the good words. The hand guns you see are in deed deactivated.Black powder and long barreled ones,yes,you can own them.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:49 pm

Handguns need to have a minimum 12" barrel and minimum overall length of 34" ( 600mm. ) There is no restriction upon `muzzle loading` pistols - eg revolvers. The propellent used is open - doesn`t have to be black powder.
There are indeed special section 7 collectors licences but these handguns are subject to particular qualifications and cannot be used.

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:52 pm

Vikram,

Which one is .45 Colt style percussion revolver ? Cannot locate it.
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:19 pm

Pictures 9,10 and 11. The `pistol` has a brass frame and a shoulder stock fitted.

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:12 pm

Thanks John.

Was it the "The Good , The Bad and The Ugly " ?
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.