List of PB and NPB guns in India?

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: List of PB and NPB guns in India?

Post by surajshuresh » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:49 pm

So if i fill in as NPB PISTOL/ REVOLVER can i buy of any cal and endorse it in the license or should i specify the cal while i apply only...

For Advertising mail webmaster
TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:18 am

The .308 Winchester and 7.62x51 are dimensionally one and the same cartridge. The only, miniscule, difference is in the chamber, the 7.62x51mm having a slightly longer throat. Which can result in slightly higher pressure if a military cartridge is fired in a .308 Winchester chambered rifle. In addition, the 7.62 is rated to slightly higher pressure, but the method of taking pressure differs, so no direct comparison can be made. The cartridges are fully, and safely, interchangeable. All warnings to the contrary.

Military brass, US made, usually has thicker case walls than commercial brass in the same caliber, to make it suitable for use in both machineguns and rifles. This only concerns the handloader, as he has to reduce the powder charge to stay at the same pressure. But commercial cases from different manufacturers also differ in internal volume, though usually less so than they do from US military brass.

Hope that clears things up. Cheers.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:17 am

So if i fill in as NPB PISTOL/ REVOLVER can i buy of any cal and endorse it in the license or should i specify the cal while i apply only..
If your license says NPB Pistol/Revolver, it means that you can buy any NPB Pistol or Revolver.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by surajshuresh » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:07 pm

Thanks goodboy_mentor for the reply...

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:38 am

" legal level of restriction for NPB and PB will be equal."i agree with you but what to do the authorities don't understand this...
This discussion has lead to an interesting conclusion that Arms Act 1959 only differentiates between fully automatic firearms and non fully automatic firearms. Means level of restriction varies only between full auto and non auto(includes semi auto). Does not differentiate level of restriction between semi auto and non auto. Authorities also do recognize this fact if below mentioned letter is read:
SUB.- Arms Act and Rules - Semi-automatic .22 Bore rifles - Grant of license to members of rifle club/Association.

I am directed to refer to your letter No. 7222-R/VIII-B-644L/67, dated 20.11.1967 on the subject mentioned above and to say that the provision in section 13(3)(a)(ii) of the Arms Act, it would be observed, does not make any distinction as to the type of .22 bore rifles in respect of which a license shall be granted under this provision. As such, licenses under provision of the Act shall be granted in respect of all types of .22 bore rifles (including semi-automatic type). It may, however, be noticed that the use of the weapons covered by a license issued under this provision of the Act, is to be restricted to target practice only.

(GOI/MHA Letter No.F.13/7/68-P.IV to the Secretary to the Govt. of U.P., Home (Police-B.II) Department, Lucknow).
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

surana
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by surana » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:47 pm

@subhriinindia- preparing for the moot?

subhroinindia
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by subhroinindia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:00 am

Yes man.....but thought that searching for answers this way isnt exactly fun....so now I am searching for it the other way....the hard way that is :D ;)

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:39 am

I'm sorry what do you mean? :roll: Didn't get the answers to your questions till now?

subhroinindia
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by subhroinindia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:38 am

@goodboy_mentor - Not sir, that was in reply to the fact that I ultimately went back to the source and approached it from the roots - started reading the good old books..... :D But the help I got over here was invaluable :)

surana
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by surana » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:47 am

best of luck!

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:14 pm

goodboy_mentor wrote:
Authorities also do recognize this fact if below mentioned letter is read:
SUB.- Arms Act and Rules - Semi-automatic .22 Bore rifles - Grant of license to members of rifle club/Association.

I am directed to refer to your letter No. 7222-R/VIII-B-644L/67, dated 20.11.1967 on the subject mentioned above and to say that the provision in section 13(3)(a)(ii) of the Arms Act, it would be observed, does not make any distinction as to the type of .22 bore rifles in respect of which a license shall be granted under this provision. As such, licenses under provision of the Act shall be granted in respect of all types of .22 bore rifles (including semi-automatic type). It may, however, be noticed that the use of the weapons covered by a license issued under this provision of the Act, is to be restricted to target practice only.

(GOI/MHA Letter No.F.13/7/68-P.IV to the Secretary to the Govt. of U.P., Home (Police-B.II) Department, Lucknow).
I find the letter quoted by you very interesting. Can you quote it in full please or is the above the full text?

Regards.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:49 pm

@subhroinindia Thank you. In addition the usual confusion related to prohibited arms, prohibited bores or non prohibited bores is answered here http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 28#p174447

@miroflex Yes this letter is indeed interesting, rather it is acknowledging a legal fact that Arms Act 1959 does not discriminate between semi autos and non autos. Please refer this post http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 87#p135943 You may PM cottage cheese to know more details.