Requirement of Fair price regulation on IFG sale threads.

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Requirement of Fair price regulation on IFG sale threads.

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:35 pm

hamiclar01 wrote:And you can't sell your TR weapon in your lifetime
Actually you can now.

For Advertising mail webmaster
hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:02 pm

winnie_the_pooh wrote:
hamiclar01 wrote:And you can't sell your TR weapon in your lifetime
Actually you can now.
Can you kindly amplify

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:11 pm

Everyone should be their own check and balance. Be it the buyer or the seller. One can't afford it, one should wait for the next deal. If anybody is getting fleeced, they should've checked before buying. Nobody is a 10 year old here who doesn't know what she / he is getting into. Everybody should do their own research before buying, get in touch with the seller, thrash it out and settle it. PM facility is for that same purpose. But of late, it has been seen that member's are using the freedom to comment on prices where they don't even intend to buy at all. You want to educate someone on the prices, be the altruistic one and comment through PM and not use open forum to ridicule a seller.

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

eternalme
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by eternalme » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:53 am

M24,

"Everyone should be their own check and balance" this seems more of utopian idea in present context to me.

Anyways , you being the devil's advocate its expected from you :-).

Keep posting.

Regards
ll====lll lll====ll
lll Subs lll

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:13 am

As Abhijeet says:
The IFG sales section was actually intended as a place for members to swap items surplus to their needs and not as a commercial marketplace.
I do understand (as Abhijeet pointed out) that some commercial selling does go on. Now there are proposals to modify the system for something that will (in the eyes of some) more closely match what the buy/sell forum is being used for, rather than what it was intended to be used for. One might also envision a situation where, if and when the operation of the buy/sell forum is changed, it will continue to evolve into something yet more different.

I am wondering:

"Fair market": This is a subjective, not objective, term. How is fair market going to be determined? By consensus? If so, is a consensus method going to be quick and efficient in providing prices for quick sale? If not, what is the pricing method that is proposed, exactly? It is all well enough to say, "I want to be able to buy at fair prices on IFG," but quite another thing to specify how this will happen in a way that suits everyone, or just a majority, or even just a plurality.

Who will administer and police the prices? This is bound to be a timely procedure. Books on gun values are sold for money here: if the seller is allowed to make a profit and the buyer is going to be protected to receive a fair price, is it to be supposed that the moderator/administrator should provide this service as some sort of donation of their own time? There are lots of services I'd like for people to provide free of charge to me! (This does illustrate how "fair" as many applications and is perceived differently from different perspectives.)

There are points of reference regarding pricing of guns in places like, say, the USA. Is there a mutually agreed upon authority or set of authorities regarding gun values in India upon which the proposed price structure will be based?

If IFG is going to get into the business of becoming a market place, what will become of the original purpose of the board? I know it is easy to say, "Someone will do that work." It is always easy to volunteer the labor of others in order to provide a service to one's self. However, very few things in life really work that way.

Is there really a shortage of other trading zones, such that another one is needed?

If someone wants to communicate an objection regarding price or talk with another prospective buyer, then why is the PM not sufficient for this use?

How are we to keep a group from sitting on the fence, who have no intention of buying or selling, from getting involved in sales? Surely this is a fertile field for conflict? Are we going to assign buyer and seller numbers, something else for the admins and mods to administer for free (not to mention the squabbles and complaints...)

I don't have the answers to these questions. Perhaps some may be provided as this thread continues.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

eternalme
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by eternalme » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:30 am

Timmy,

This thread was started in order to pour in ideas towards achieving "the original purpose of the board" also in matters related to gun sales here.

Many thanks for your comments, I couldn't make out the most of it though. :roll:

Regards
ll====lll lll====ll
lll Subs lll

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:46 am

Well said timmy!

Especially this part, as this is what caused most of the problems in the past.
timmy wrote:
How are we to keep a group from sitting on the fence, who have no intention of buying or selling, from getting involved in sales? Surely this is a fertile field for conflict? Are we going to assign buyer and seller numbers, something else for the admins and mods to administer for free (not to mention the squabbles and complaints...)
Regards,
Yaj.
The more people I meet,the more i like my dog!

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:08 am

I agree with Tim. Eternalme, if you don't get it, your loss!!! If what I mentioned is an utopian idea for you, I worry for your finances. Thanks for devil's advocate compliment. :)

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

eternalme
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by eternalme » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:17 am

M24,

Tim went a lit overboard actually, I didn't want to break his flight so simple stated I didn't get most of it.
Probably he missed the actual post which is evident from " assigning numbers to buyer and seller etc."

Its not about making IFG a marketplace , though he seem to have missed that part as well, and went ahead counting how many other market places are there and do we really need another one etc ?

Hence I said I didn't get it , for, if I were to ack what he said I would have to write "Gentleman read the post again please".

And my finances :-) , watch out it may burn your nerves, its a big bore thing you are talking about. ROTFL

Shoot straight. Stay well.
ll====lll lll====ll
lll Subs lll

eternalme
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by eternalme » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:25 pm

I'm having certain air rifles getting dust and few archery gears aswell. Would make sense to give them up for a very reasonable token amount.
Would serve the cause aswell.
ll====lll lll====ll
lll Subs lll