Requirement of Fair price regulation on IFG sale threads.

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
eternalme
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Requirement of Fair price regulation on IFG sale threads.

Post by eternalme » Thu May 27, 2010 7:05 pm

Hi,

We saw an old member being banned because of malpractices and running business out of IFG where as the sale thread is intended for non commercial purpose of the members as clarified by the moderators.

The only way to effectively stop the shop keepers from running their online shops here is to have fair price policy instead of "no comment on price" policy , at least this should be a place where gun enthusiast can find the right information in all matters related to guns and that includes price as well.

I have tried to understand the formula behind the exorbitant price of Air guns / Blank firer (real gun price is understandable due to ban on import) being sold on the forum,what I couldn't understand was how a gun costing US$200 ends up being sold on the forum for 40,000. while we all watch and let that happen.

Most of the sales are being done by the gun business owners, so the forum has been reduced to their virtual gun shop with no fees or royalty going to IFG.
This must stop , if they want to sell anything here they must state a fair price else they shouldn't be allowed to put their items for sale.

IFG is, and should, stay a forum by gun enthusiasts, for gun enthusiasts; not for businessmen looking for a virtual shop.
The ultimate objective is beaten if only reckless profit is sough, more gun enthusiast can practice the hobby if they can get best machine for a fair price.
Last edited by eternalme on Thu May 27, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ll====lll lll====ll
lll Subs lll

For Advertising mail webmaster
grewal
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Requirement of Fair price regulation on IFG sale threads.

Post by grewal » Thu May 27, 2010 7:13 pm

eternalme wrote: The only way to effectively stop the shop keepers from running their online shops here is to have fair price policy instead of "no comment on price" policy , at least this should be a place where gun enthusiast can find the right information in all matters related to guns and that includes price as well.
:agree:
At least we should have the right to counter Quote the right price .
Grewal

I'd rather be riding my bike and thinking bout god than sitting in a temple and thinking bout my bike

eternalme
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by eternalme » Thu May 27, 2010 7:20 pm

Or the seller should provide breakup like - cost in US$ + Postage + commission Simple !!
Fair and square, no-one wants to deprive the seller of their cut but the question is - Gentleman what is your cut ? 200% :-)
ll====lll lll====ll
lll Subs lll

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Thu May 27, 2010 10:13 pm

How does any of this matter? It is a seller's market for all things gun related.

eternalme
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by eternalme » Thu May 27, 2010 10:22 pm

MOA - right about sellers market but not when the forum is dedicated to a cause.
Seller's market is shops and not an open forum where we are building gun awareness, price being one of the factor.
ll====lll lll====ll
lll Subs lll

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Thu May 27, 2010 10:32 pm

A good cause sure. But when sellers find that they cant get the desired price they think is fair to them, they will simply stop selling here.
From a seller's viewpoint it really doesnt matter what goals the forum aspires to, but only in being an outlet for what they would like to sell. So you wouldnt have any sellers on the forum. Catch 22.

Personally I dont sell or buy anything on this forum, but do so on some others. More buy than sell, and the rules are really quite simple. Like the price, make an offer. Sometimes lower than what the person selling is looking for.
In my own case I was selling some ammunition on a shooting forum, where I was offered peanuts for it. Not being a monkey I declined.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Fri May 28, 2010 12:31 am

A good cause sure. But when sellers find that they cant get the desired price they think is fair to them, they will simply stop selling here.
From a seller's viewpoint it really doesnt matter what goals the forum aspires to, but only in being an outlet for what they would like to sell. So you wouldnt have any sellers on the forum. Catch 22.

Personally I dont sell or buy anything on this forum, but do so on some others. More buy than sell, and the rules are really quite simple. Like the price, make an offer. Sometimes lower than what the person selling is looking for.

:agree:
In my own case I was selling some ammunition on a shooting forum, where I was offered peanuts for it. Not being a monkey I declined.

:lol: :lol:
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

eternalme
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by eternalme » Fri May 28, 2010 4:44 am

sorry picture.
ll====lll lll====ll
lll Subs lll

grewal
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by grewal » Fri May 28, 2010 1:21 pm

shooter wrote:In my own case I was selling some ammunition on a shooting forum, where I was offered peanuts for it. Not being a monkey I declined.

It's not that every seller is quoting a wrong price , but here we are talking about the selected few . I think we should be allowed to quote a relative prevalent market price of our region . Rest depends on the seller weather he is interested to sell at that price or he can simply deny .
Grewal

I'd rather be riding my bike and thinking bout god than sitting in a temple and thinking bout my bike

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Fri May 28, 2010 1:27 pm

Grewal cant think of anything wrong with your approach. However the counter offers can happen privately as well. In threads it has a lot of potential for deteorating into name calling et al very quickly.
In any case I dont have any skin in the game other than the odd attempt at humor. :cheers:

santhosh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by santhosh » Fri May 28, 2010 2:07 pm

I Agree with "eternalme " The seller should Give the Breakup and the reason for the price, IFG is a Froum for Gun enthusisats who wants to share and gain more knowledge about guns,and not for sellers who want to rip Money from innocent buyers or cheat them with Spurious products.
The "no comment on the price" policy is helpful for these sellers ,though people negotiate through PM, how much does the seller reduce...????? the seller has the responsiblity to explain the reason for the 200% cost to any potential buyer.
I am not saying that all the sellers are like this however there are quiet a few who take advantage of this forum to Fill there wallets.

we need to do some thing about this Hope the moderators are looking into this and will take some positive actions to prevent such things.

Regards
Santhosh.B

Biren
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Biren » Fri May 28, 2010 2:25 pm

Hi,

There are lots of ppl who visit forum and the purpose is to share expereince and info. Now apart from legal and techinical info, people are also interested to buy as well as sell. As rightly pointed out by moderators, sale section is basically to offload if someone has got spare or extra items for which he himself finds no use. Offcourse there are traders who are here to make profits. So is this not the info a potential buyer would like to know as to what the available fair price as there is lots of non restricted stuff which is being sold at exorbitant price. Expereince members stay away from such sales.

Commercial buyers be charged.

Cheers,
Biren

amit888_2000
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amit888_2000 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:30 pm

hi guys, what ever happens in future,
IFG - should get atleast 1% or 2%, as its the only best medium for seller as well - at the same time for the purchaser......to my experience - of buying & selling -- till now no -ve...all +ve....

if u ask me in shops, they litreally loot u, here atleast a seller is aware that lots people are watching post....so he can't ask more than the mkt....but still some sellers ask unresonable...i think its again a sellers persuit...

1 more suggession - i shared it with one of the mods as well.....and this is for only firearms....
why not display picture + spec's & ask for the worth, insted of giving ur selling price...if a suiting price is offered, then discuss via pm....

Guys again this is just a suggession ? BTW nice post....

)))cheers!!!

OverUnderPump
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by OverUnderPump » Fri May 28, 2010 3:09 pm

Noble thought for an 'Ideal scenario' but then we are far from an 'ideal scenario'. Even though its a sellers market, one should not forget the term 'Caveat Emptor'(Buyers beware) which has been around for ages. Buyers too need to excercise their discretion while seeking to buy something which has a 'dicey' price.

That said, I am not entirely averse to the idea suggested by eternalme of having a breakup of the price being provided.
For example:
Actual Price + Postage + Margin(5%, 10% as applicable) with the margin being negotiable via PM.

The onus being on the buyer seller duo to post the final price at which it was sold(akin to an auction). As far as the margins of 1% or 2% going towards the portal, thats a call the site owner can take.

regards
8)
OUP
The universe was born with a BIG BANG, no wonder guns run in my blood.

Disclaimer: My post is either a question or a reply to one. I am stating an opinion. If my opinion differs from yours, It's not intended as an insult.

Bruno22
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bruno22 » Fri May 28, 2010 3:59 pm

I think we should have the sales thread for people who want to sell/trade their personal stuff (second hand or new) and another thread where people who are running business could post their adverts for their shops, goods or online shops and websites. That would also give us members a chance to buy the products we like ,but did not know were available legally here in India. This will also deter people from overpricing stuff they bring in from abroad. Just to give you a example, I wanted a Gun case from Pelican and after contacting the international site I was directed to their Indian counterpart. These guys have a huge range of cases and other interesting products. That's my two bit...
THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN PEACE, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN WAR.