Airgun import experiences - via post/ courier route

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Airgun import experiences - via post/ courier route

Post by snIPer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:21 pm

Is this the case only with the Bangalore customs. I seem to recall that they had issues releasing shipments earlier too and now it seems that the sickness is back again.
/S
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

For Advertising mail webmaster
ebenezer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by ebenezer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:35 pm

mulki wrote:
David wrote:Here is how it defines.

2. Existing Import Licensing Note (1) in Chapter 93 of ITC (HS) Classifications of Export and Import Items prior to this amendment is extracted below:
“Import of arms is permitted against a license to renowned shooters/rifle clubs for their own use on the recommendation of Department of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India. -- THIS IS FOR ARMS

BELOW IS FOR AIRGUNS: So I don't think you need a NRAI
However, Import of 0.177 bore air guns and air pistols will be free for shooters registered with Rifle Clubs or District/State/National Rifle Association. ( THIS CLEARLY SAYS THAT IT CAN BE Rifle Clubs or District/State/National Rifle Association

THE BELOW SPEAKS ABOUT THE IMPORT by a NRAI person AND Supplying the same to Other Eligible Shooters from Other registered clubs or Associations

Free import of 0.177 bore air guns and air pistols will also be allowed to National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) for supplying the same to the eligible State Rifle Association / Clubs and to the eligible shooters. NRAI shall be required to keep appropriate account of the imported weapons.
I was able to clear the package after writing to FedEx and explaining that Notification was about Arms. Customs accepted the explanation.

However the line about Airguns being free for import by District, State Clubs is missing from the amended text. This will cause an issue if Customs raises an objection. The earlier Notification was very clear, the amended text does not mention Airguns at all.

Regards,
I had a problem in getting my Crosman 1377 C cleared from Bangalore Customs in 2012. I was asked to produce an NoC from the police. I wrote to the Deputy Commissioner asking him to give that in writing. When they could not do that, they asked me to produce the Rifle Club ID and bonafide certificate in original, knowing pretty well that I live in Chennai. I went there in person and got it cleared. Now, as Mulki has said, the problem is the lack of clarity in the amended notification. I had raised this earlier in another forum. Customs now has a 'reason' and is misinterpreting the amended notification.

Ebenezer

Rijo Joseph
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rijo Joseph » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:41 am

Hi friends,

Check this link below 2012-2013 tariff of CBEC it states that 10% duty is applicable for all type of guns !!!!! :twisted: :mrgreen: do i miss interpret it !!!

http://www.cbec.gov.in/customs/cst2012-13/chap-93.pdf

Rijo
Sometimes if you want to get rid of the gun, you have to pick the gun up.

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:20 pm

Hello Rijo,
It was great interacting with you. As discussed, please go ahead and write to the customs authorities about their misinterpretation of the DGFT notification.

In the meanwhile, they are very eager to cover their backsides :mrgreen:

The Central Information Commission has been very clear in saying that service record of a government servant is not 'personal'. I have appealed against their decision and am awaiting response.

Regards,
Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

vishal
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by vishal » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:56 pm

Hi! Would like the thank the various contributions from members on this post. Reading all of it helped me import an airforce condor without any hassle. Special thanks to Dev .

The gun shoots excellent and can tell that whatever reviews shared about it stand true. Packed with power and performance.

Those who plan to import it, go for it..

Neerajduggal
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Neerajduggal » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:10 pm

Hello Friends.
Most of the posts here are old and i'm not sure what is the law today to import a .177 air riffle/pistol with pcp/co2,,,
can anyone guide for the latest law and restrictions pls.
Thanks.

Neerajduggal
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Neerajduggal » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:18 am

Hello,
can the experts pls guide us through this dark tunnel,,,i know its boring being asked the same thing again and again.
Pls help us live our passion..

Thanks

Rijo Joseph
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rijo Joseph » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:44 am

Dear Neeraj, As per statutes you only require a rifle club member ship for importing a .177 cal airgun/air pistol but still.. ...the easy clearance process depends on the customs officer who is in charge at the time of clearing...if they don't clear it by saying some stupid reasons...your real job starts there... :D

striker
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by striker » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:18 pm

hi guys
anybody recently tried usps shipping to import airgun .177 and cleared in foreign post office ? in Chennai they are not allowing to import via postal route saying airgun are firearms and firearms cannot be allowed through postal import .

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:30 pm

Hello Striker,
Just won a prolonged war of RTIs and complaints with the Bangalore customs officials to get our airguns released. Rijo has a communication from the DGFT that clarifies their stance on airguns and it's import to members of District/state rifle associations. Do PM him for more details.

Regards
Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by supershaji » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:27 pm

Congratulations!

So all airguns detained at bangalore are now being released?

What exactly happened with the case?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
chitty-vitty, bang-shang

Rijo Joseph
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rijo Joseph » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:02 am

It was a real surprise that even after customs got a letter from DGFT with clarification that it is allowable, still they took the stand of not releasing it....so after that really tried hard to put there top boss in picture and got it done..almost 9 shipments are released from Bangalore customs.. :cheers:

supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by supershaji » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:54 pm

Well done Rijo!

Sometimes all it takes is the right steps to be taken by the right man.

Is the situation at Blore customs clear for airgun imports now or do you think that it may still be unnecessarily risky?
chitty-vitty, bang-shang

Rijo Joseph
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rijo Joseph » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:05 pm

Hi Shaji, I have checked up with fedex two days back, so far so good no issues, customs has cleared few guns after this incident by getting the attested copy of club id and club letter. hope it will be green light. :D

supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by supershaji » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:45 pm

Rijo Joseph wrote:Hi Shaji, I have checked up with fedex two days back, so far so good no issues, customs has cleared few guns after this incident by getting the attested copy of club id and club letter. hope it will be green light. :D
You mean that new consignments have been cleared using Local State Rifle Club Memberships and NOT NRAI club membership?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
chitty-vitty, bang-shang