learnt a few things about new license

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
panks
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

learnt a few things about new license

Post by panks » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:03 pm

hi guys,
my experience with a new license. No point is running around if you dont have serious contacts politically.

The good news is that I have friends one is a MP and another one is an MLA and my father knows the current collector and the SP posted in Indore.

Got my .22 rilfe and 12 bore license processed in a total of 16 days to be precise.

Now , the problem is that i havent come across good guns to get on my license. Saw a 5 shot bolt winchester and the asking price is Rs1,25,000

saw another good remingtion in mumbai and asking for 1 lakh.

Anybody knows of any good .22 across india, please let me know

Cheers

For Advertising mail webmaster
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:02 pm

Congrats Panks for your license :)

Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

panks
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

hi kanwar

Post by panks » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:05 pm

Hi there,
thanks a lot man, but im really up[set with just the booklet. Cant seem to get some good guns, i will have to satisfy myself with the IOF as of now, i think

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:24 pm

If the condition of the guns is good, the prices sound OK. My cousin had come across a .22 Brno in out of the box condition quoting for INR 135,000/- (in Haryana), last year. Unfortunately by the time he went back to the dealer, to purchase it, it had already been sold. He's still looking around for a good .22 rifle...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:59 pm

Panks,

There was a person selling a mint Remington 6 shot .22 for 60,000/- here.If you wnat I can give it to you for 1 lakh :wink: Read what Abhijeet has to say about the price:-
[/quote]If the condition of the guns is good, the prices sound OK. [quote]

As far as I am concerned,I told the fellow to push it up, you know where :) and that I would buy it for 60,000/- if he would gold plate it. :lol:

I would suggest getting a IOF .22 and spending some money on it to get it working right.Shoots the same bullet as any other rifle.The price diff would enable you to buy about 10,000 rounds of ammo (at 7 rupees per cart)

Take care,
penpusher

panks
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

hi there

Post by panks » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:59 pm

hi penpusher,

Now that is very mean of my buddy. jack it up but not so much. But please let me know if ur just pulling my leg or the .22 is available.

Remi must be the pipe mag bolt action???

If you are serious, i would really be interested

Cheers

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:15 pm

Panks,

It had a box mag and it was for sale at Singh Gun House,Sector-17,Chandigarh 4-5 months back.Can find out if its still for sale after the 16th of this month.A friend sold a BSA Martini .22lr for 13,000 some months back

Take care,
penpusher

PS-Can you come to collect the rifle from Chandigarh?If you have a state lic then you will have to get a TL from the local ADM

panks
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

state lic

Post by panks » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:49 pm

hi sukh,
My lic is a state lic for both the .22 and the 12 bore. But colelcting it from any state is not any issue for me. I think even the dealers arrange a TL and if needed i will also try for it.

Please let me know after the 16th.

Any 12 bore would you know???

Cheers

Pankaj

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:43 pm

Wow! Those are really great prices!! :mrgreen: The numbers I gave were based on what I have seen being quoted in Haryana... did not realize there could be such a price differential between Haryana and Punjab/ Chandigarh.

I do agree with you that all things considered, the IOF .22 rifle is the best value for money option. Of course there will always be those who would like an imported weapon and are willing to pay the price. Herein lies the issue - most arms dealers are notoriously unscrupulous and quote prices based on their perception of the buyers ability to pay; I mean its not like there is a set MRP on these weapons! :P I actually went around hunting (for a good .22 rifle) with this cousin of mine, and it is extremely difficult to get ones hands on a 100 pointer unused and well maintained piece, so when one does come across such a piece....

And thanks for the address of the Chandigarh dealer, will be sure to point my cousin in the right direction. :D

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: learnt a few things about new license

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:10 pm

No point in running around if you dont have serious contacts politically.
Don't have any contacts to speak off. Got my rifle licence without dishing out bribes, using 'pull' or any unnecessary running around in three months flat. This morning went and put in my application for the shotty and they have asked me to collect the licence on the 28th of September.

I was supposed to have used 'contacts' for the shotty but that fell through, so went and did it myself. Met the DCP, explained what I wanted, he scribbled something on my application, called in a constable who fast tracked the payment procedure and that was that. I don't know this DCP from Adam and he has an anti-gun reputation to boot.

Mack The Knife

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:06 pm

Thats excellent Mack The Knife. Hope things stay that way.

Do you have a pistol permit or plan on applying for one?

Would like to know your experience with that too.

-Naren

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:13 pm

Hi Naren,

Never applied for a pistol, mainly due to the ridiculous prices we have to pay for even old target pistols. In my case the licence may not be a hurdle because I would actually be using it for target shooting and have a fair number of certs to back that claim.

May think of adding one a couple of years down the line.

Mack The Knife

panks
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

lucky Mack The Knife

Post by panks » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:56 pm

Mack The Knife, you are really lucky to have it so easy. believe me, it's not as easy as you mentioned in central or north india.

Our friends from North and central can write their experiences.

And i cant even write on a public forum how it is to applyt for a gun license in mumbai.

But,all the best for your shoty and if you see any good DBBl, please letme know also as i am also looking out for one.

ANy experince with the IOF pump action??

Cheers

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: lucky Mack The Knife

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:03 pm

Mack The Knife, you are really lucky to have it so easy. believe me, it's not as easy as you mentioned in central or north india.
I don't know about being lucky but I am glad I waited for two hours (went without an appointment, so not his fault) to speak to the concerned Deputy Commissioner for just a few minutes, because whatever he seems to have scribbled on my covering letter is making everyone hop to it.

Got another letter from the Commissioners Office (Arms Section) yesterday, requesting me to go to my local police station with the original copies of all the documents mentioned in my covering letter. I also have to take my passport along for address verification. Couldn't make it today, so will go and meet the writer at the local cop shop tomorrow. He will prepare a statement which is forwarded to the local inspector in the same premises. Once he okay's it, it is sent to another place (forget which) and from there back to the Commissioners Office at which point permission to buy a shotty will or will not be added to the licence.
Our friends from North and central can write their experiences.
No idea about central India. Rajat, Sat, Abhijeet, Dev, Asif... what do you have to say about North Indian applications? I understand Delhi now has a very efficient and modern office for fast tracking firearm related requests.
And i cant even write on a public forum how it is to applyt for a gun license in mumbai.
If you are a target shooter, Mumbai is almost the easiest place in India to get an arms licence and they can be very generous with their ammo quaotas. I am talking thousands of rounds per year. No idea what the self defense brigade have to put with.
if you see any good DBBl, please letme know also as i am also looking out for one.
Will do. What is your budget?
ANy experince with the IOF pump action??

Afraid not.

Mack The Knife

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:53 pm

My Shotgun license was issued by Delhi police within 1 week on a sports application. Since I used to do some target shooting in those days I also got an "All India" permit and generous quota of 2500/5000 relatively easily.

The process was (this was in 1991) - fill out and submit your application with supporting documents at the DCP Licensing office (it used to be at the Police HQ at ITO in those days but has since shifted to Defence Colony Police Station). Post that there would be a police verification where the file would go to your local thana, a meeting with the SHO of the thana, on clearing that a meeting with the local ACP of the area, then the file goes back to the DCP licensing office, a meeting with the DCP licensing and upon his final stamp you get a valid arms license.

I purchased my weapon within 1 month and then applied for an extension of validity to "All India". This took another week or so and was quite painless, though I did have to attend 1 meeting with the DCP licensing. Then I submitted an application for extension of my ammunition quota from the standard 25/50 to 2500/5000. For this I attached participation certificates (Nationals and State level both), this too came through quite easily, once again I did have to attend 1 meeting with the DCP licensing.

Things seem to have improved even further in Delhi since '91 with the DCP Licensing office claiming ISO certification! If nothing else, I do believe the response times for people without "leverage" have shortened - I am not sure if this actually translates into relatively more licenses being issued (I would seriously doubt if it does).

Also, I think I should mention here, my father was a senior civil servant at the time and the required phone calls would precede all meetings - so am not sure if this should be taken as a typical case.

My Second license was issued by the MHA (since it is a prohibited bore weapon). That was a real b**ch to say the least and took the better part of 6 months from start to finish.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in