Tips on Pistol Shooting

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by hvj1 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:54 am

tirpassion wrote: Pulled myself from going down, stopped even looking through the scope and finally succeeded in letting myself get carried away by the mantra and the 'mule'. Awesome expérience!!!

Thé match was finished in 1 hour and 4 minutes including 1 seated break. The fastest match in FP with the best score till date. :D
Ah! Feels very good as a coach to see his concepts being implemented with a commendable degree of success.
Keep it up and as Jitu says- Lage Raho!

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:59 am

hvj1 wrote:
tirpassion wrote: Finally succeeded in letting myself get carried away by the mantra and the 'mule'. Awesome expérience!!! The fastest match in FP with the best score till date. :D
Ah! Feels very good as a coach to see his concepts being implemented with a commendable degree of success.
Keep it up and as Jitu says- Lage Raho!
"The Best Gurudakshina" a Chela can offer his Guru :cheering:
Briha

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:32 pm

Dear all,

I have been experimenting a new thing (for me and may be not for many) since one year. Shooting AP with the left hand/non shooting hand from time to time to liberate myself from all expectations and concentrate to more (i know that my left hand is weaker. so I need to concentrate on my abilities to shoot well with the left hand. So I put in more of concentrated effort and my expectations are less).
I could not go beyod 30 shots or half matches scoring 256/300 the first time and 259/300 the second time. That was 6 months back
Last week, I shot a AP match of 40 shots with a left hand grip Steyr LP2 pistol. 86,87, 92, 88 = 265/300 and 353/400. 12 tens.:shock:

I am surprised. I am writing this because I found out the benefits of the figure 8 exercise. Working both the hands has given me a great amount of stability to my non shooting hand. If that is the case with the non shooting side what must have happened to the shooting hand? I AM THINKING ABOUT IT AND TRYING TO REALISE THE TRUTH. This obviously is adding to the confidence.

Now to resume the story, I emphasize on the figure 8 exercise for the following benefits.
- Incredible stability of hand
- Compensation of the body balance
- No more back pain
- Manifold increase in confidence
- Confidence in sight picture

I am tempted to elaborate on this last point.

I perceive the sight picture as couple of dancers, the lady (the front sight) in the arms of her partner (rear sight), dancing waltz in perfect unison on the stage (aiming area) while as the choreographer, i am captivated by the graceful performance... the shot has gone off when and where it should but who cares... i am enjoying (follow through)...

Believe me, I am not exaggerating. I have felt it sometimes and yearn to feel again and again. Sometime it happens and sometimes not. It is an amazing feeling, exquisite feeling.
Friends, you need to do some efforts to go beyond the initial pains of the fig 8 exercise to discover the pleasure which it hides just above your eye level.

enjoy!

tirpassion

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:55 pm

tirpassion wrote: Dear all,

I have been experimenting a new thing (for me and may be not for many) since one year. Shooting AP with the left hand/non shooting hand from time to time to liberate myself from all expectations and concentrate to more (i know that my left hand is weaker. so I need to concentrate on my abilities to shoot well with the left hand. So I put in more of concentrated effort and my expectations are less).
I emphasize on the figure 8 exercise for the following benefits.
- Incredible stability of hand
- Compensation of the body balance
- No more back pain
- Manifold increase in confidence
- Confidence in sight picture

I am tempted to elaborate on this last point.
I perceive the sight picture as couple of dancers, the lady (the front sight) in the arms of her partner (rear sight), dancing waltz in perfect unison on the stage (aiming area) while as the choreographer, i am captivated by the graceful performance... the shot has gone off when and where it should but who cares... i am enjoying (follow through)...

Believe me, I am not exaggerating. I have felt it sometimes and yearn to feel again and again. Sometime it happens and sometimes not. It is an amazing feeling, exquisite feeling.
Friends, you need to do some efforts to go beyond the initial pains of the fig 8 exercise to discover the pleasure which it hides just above your eye level.
enjoy!
tirpassion
Hi tir,
> Amazing experience you had there!!!
> Reminded me of the saying "Take the path less traveled & leave a trail" :D
Briha

amarinder
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by amarinder » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:09 pm

Sometimes it becomes very frustrating for me. During practise sessions, some days my performance is so good and the entire technique starts appearing so simple that hitting a 9 or 10 looks like a child play and it appears that i can come to terrace any time, stand at proper position, take proper grip , align eye, arm and the SA and can hit a 10 anytime. but the next time i go and try to repeat the same technique, the arm starts jerking while lowering, SA is misaligned and lots of other things.

This may be because I dont have any strategy to practise, i just go on terrace and do HIT and TRIAL to see how I can hit and 10 or 9. And though i am getting closer but the problem arises that I dont know how to bring consistency in practise.

My technique is :
Stand at around 30 degrees and make sure the head position and arm are at proper psoition. Nnext, I fix the head at proper position and start looking at the place where i have to lift the gun.
After raising, i stabalize the gun, align properly and lower the gun till I am satisfied with the stability and clarity of SA. At this point I start trigger press and hold it.
Next, I try to main same Energy level in my mind after pressing the trigger so as not jerk it.
At aiming area, I assure clear SA and fininsh the remaining trigger.

But any technique that works for me in 1 or 2 sessions, does not work in third. WHAT TO DO :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I also get confused about what to do in training session. Either to improve the technique or do drills like FIGURE OF 8 or triggering, etc. Kindly enlighten me.
"There is no such thing as difficult, Only the man himself is weak"- Amarinder

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:41 am

Your problem, amarinder, is that you are searching for a strategy, a certain tactic which will always work. No such tactic exists unluckily. Your mind is overloaded with everything related to post shot breaking and very less with how to construct and fine tune a shot, part by part...

In short, your hard disk is full with unnecessary and unhealthy parasitic thoughts (score, result, success, medal, glory...) and you are continuing to nourish them unknowingly perhaps. Hence your search for THE TACTIC. Eliminate them and concentrate on building each step carefully and solidly. They will lead you to success and believe me, you will not even realize the moment. But suddenly you will be there :) .

best regards
tirpassion

amarinder
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by amarinder » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:41 am

tirpassion wrote:Your problem, amarinder, is that you are searching for a strategy, a certain tactic which will always work. No such tactic exists unluckily. Your mind is overloaded with everything related to post shot breaking and very less with how to construct and fine tune a shot, part by part...

In short, your hard disk is full with unnecessary and unhealthy parasitic thoughts (score, result, success, medal, glory...) and you are continuing to nourish them unknowingly perhaps. Hence your search for THE TACTIC. Eliminate them and concentrate on building each step carefully and solidly. They will lead you to success and believe me, you will not even realize the moment. But suddenly you will be there :) .

best regards
tirpassion
Thanks boss. I think your are right. May be I need to pay more attention the the process and not in the end result. I am reading the book The power of Now. May be,Its time follow it thoroghly, otherwise It will be too late.

prashraj
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by prashraj » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:05 pm

Hello Friends,
I have a strong interest in shooting.I have been shooting with local air pistol at satellite dishes, metal doors, and other small targets. I want to start shooting seriously. I have a good sense of shooting. I want to know where should I start, whom to approach and other things.One more thing I want to ask , I am 35, Is I am overage for all this. Please reply.

prashraj
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by prashraj » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:07 pm

Hi,
One thing I missed that, I want to shoot with ' Air pistol' .
I am waiting for your reply.

amarinder
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by amarinder » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:14 pm

Is 35 overage? Hmmmm..Boss, in 10 m air pistol in CWG at glasgow, bronze was one by a 60 year old.
Whenever you start shooting, you must also start to meditate as it will increase the plasticity of your brain which will help you learn motor skills faster. 40 mins is neccesary.

prashraj
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by prashraj » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:37 pm

True, and your tag line "There is no such thing as difficult, Only the man himself is weak"- Amarinder, is one of the best lines I read in recent days...I need guidance how to start..

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:43 am

Prasharaj
Welcome to TOPS...
Kindly read the lessons page by page and also read the interaction between members from page one. My advice (though rarely taken by beginners in their extreme haste to win an Olympic medal overnight) is to read and practice each lesson one at a time. Fast forwarding will clutter up your mind.
It is strongly advised to undergo a personal training course by a reputed shooting coach.
All the best.

prashraj
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by prashraj » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:19 pm

Hi hvj1,
Thanks for responding to my query. I will try to do things one step at a time. I have been searching for good gun and zeroed on NATIONAL COMPRESSED AIR PISTOL . Here is the link http://www.indianhumepipe.com/Products/ ... ry.aspx#10 , Is I am thinking in the right direction, I think this is the gun with which I can start my journey in shooting. Later when I am confident enough can change to higher guns like Morini, somehow I am attracted towards this gun. Please guide on the gun.. Waiting for your reply.

prashraj
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by prashraj » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:29 am

Hello friends,
After going through many pages of this thread, I want to start as soon as possible. I need a gun, still not able to find a solid advice . Now according to my budget , I have one option NHP compressed, and IZH Baikal is another option . Through this forum come to know Mr. Jitu have both. I still need advice what to do in terms of gun. Waiting for your reply.

prashraj
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by prashraj » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:28 pm

Hi,
There are so many people to discourage you, but this time I will listen to myself. lets hope I will meet some positive people to guide me.