Back Pain - Causes and Cures?

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Back Pain - Causes and Cures?

Post by sohampaul11 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:15 pm

Hello IFGians. I'm into 10m air rifle shooting for around 2 months now. But since the past week,I've been having a lower back pain. Why is this happening? And what are the remedies? Can shooting position/stance be the cause? Or is it an inherent problem in 10m air rifle shooting? What are the exercises that can be done to cure it? I am into open sight air rifles for now and also cant afford any shooting jackets/trousers for now.

For Advertising mail webmaster
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Back Pain - Causes and Cures?

Post by aadhaulya » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:58 pm

I think you need to see a doctor.

Regards

sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sohampaul11 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:50 pm

Will do. Problem is I dont get any pain while shooting. But after I'm done,I get a moderate pain while I carry out the daily chores.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:51 pm

aadhaulya wrote:I think you need to see a doctor.

Regards
+1 to that.

Could be simple muscle sprain or something disc related.Either way, one needs to focus on strengthening lower back muscles/fitness.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sohampaul11 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:16 am

You mean core strengthening exercises like sit ups and crunches?

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:32 am

Not just core strengthening exercises but specific exercises that target the back. Various exercises are there that involve weights or your own body. But, before that, you must establish the cause of your back pain and address it. Then, depending on the cause, you can work towards achieving your fitness goals.See your orthopaedician.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sohampaul11 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:26 am

Ok then!

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:22 pm

Vikram wrote:Not just core strengthening exercises but specific exercises that target the back. Various exercises are there that involve weights or your own body. But, before that, you must establish the cause of your back pain and address it. Then, depending on the cause, you can work towards achieving your fitness goals.See your orthopaedician.
:agree:

The causes of back pain especially 'lower back' could be....
1. Wrong body posture - common among 'IT' guys....
2. Early stages of lower spine degeneration (sacro-lumbar)
3. Excess body weight around the waist...
BTW - the stance for the 10mtr target shooting can also cause some discomfort in the lower back (I had initially experienced this) luckily a few body stretching exercises & massage relieved me)
Nevertheless as Vikram rightly suggested - see an Orthopedic...
Good Luck!
Briha

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:15 pm

apply ice over the area of pain and rest if can for a while from strenuous excercises .
regards
dr.jk

ganeshn
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ganeshn » Fri May 01, 2015 11:50 am

sohampaul11 wrote:You mean core strengthening exercises like sit ups and crunches?
That's the last thing you want to do right now, it puts extreme stress on lower back.the reason for your back pain may be weak back muscles, curvature, listhesis...do consult a ortho.
approach you take to remedy is yours, prefer to stop here.

sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sohampaul11 » Fri May 01, 2015 2:50 pm

Found out the problem. I had changed my stance 2 weeks ago. The new stance was more stable but it strained the back. It was like,I had changed my stance by altering the hip position by making it rest at an angle of 45 degree(where the actual one should be 90 degree). That created the intense pain in the lower back area. Also,I was using the hip slung position for supporting the rifle. Though I was being able to shoot half inch groups with this stance,it gave me pain. So,after I started reading the book 'Position Rifle Shooting' by William Pullum and Frank T. Hanenkrat,I rectified my error by using the bend-and-twist method and making the hip stay put at right angle. Also,I've started avoiding using the hip slung position. I settle into my NPA and make slight adjustments in elevation by breathing(I learned to use belly breathing from an article in 'On The Firing Line' by J P O' Connor). The result,I experience very low strain in my back nowadays. Infact,the pain is no longer there after I did some yoga exercises.