Tips on Pistol Shooting

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by airgun_novice » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:04 pm

Dear Amarinder,
Not sure why you got so demotivated after hitting 2-3 #7s & #8s. If the rest were in #9 & #10 that would have seen you sail through. Never mind, good luck for your MBA exams.

Dear All,
Tried my hand at the range's lone e-target system today. At Rs. 200/ day I could still snuggle in two matches. 60 shot fetched me 517 and the 40 shot turned out to be 345 both consistently at 60% desired shots (#9s & #10s). The "multi-sighting" still bothers me and that's what is causing the *.8s & *.9s which turn mighty frustrating. I have added on a few grams of "masala" (fevicol + saw dust) to my grip and increased the trigger weight slightly. Tomorrow it will be back to paper and then to e-target day after. Do not much prax opportunity in case I leave for NZ on 23rd. Anyway, shall proceed with my karma and without any expectation of the #363 fruit of the MQS Tree to the NZ. Just hope all the Powers that be do not end up giving me the "guthli" simply because I didn't wish for the fruit. :lol: ROTFL :lol:

Dear Jitu/ Dev,
Wish you two turn out to be the rats that break and clear the maze. :cheers:

regs
A.

For Advertising mail webmaster
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:46 am

airgun_novice wrote:Dear dev/ jitu,

Now if I were to take the train,
1. Where do I (preferably) get down ? NDLS, Hazrat Nizamuddin, Faridabad ?
Nizamuddin helps if you have acco in South Delhi. Try using a guest house in Chittaranjan Park. That will be close to the range also.
2. Where do I hunt for a hotel ? Most of the cheap (umm, 'economic') options happen to be in Karol Baug/ Pahadganj area
Answered above.
3. I am thinking of landing in on 23rd or 24th, so can shoot on 25th or 26th.
Come early cause you will need the card and peace of mind.
4. Who does the "out-zoner" like me talk to wrt competitor card/ details since do not assume any MH mgr would be around ?
Get the name of your team manager and call the guy up. Want me to bring the scuba tank for air?

Will zero down in a day or two and shall mail you both the travel details.

regs
A.

PS: DEVbabu - as they say in cricket, When the God retires, the game will still go on, but the TOPS won't be as much fun. ;-) So hope to see you punch a few holes having .177" and .22" diameter. :cheers: Please don't even begin to put a parallell between the little master and I. Will just die of shame. have been out of touch with air cause it bored the heck out of me. Let me see how 'gulli danda' goes.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:49 am

Hi Jitu,

Thanks for the kind words. Let's meet after the hurly burly is done. There are other shots to try too. ;-)

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:53 am

deva_neelu wrote:Good wishes to all seniors

My name is Devnand and i am from Rajahmundry (Andhra pradesh)
I am very much interested in pistol shooting(25mts rapid fire)
could anyone instruct/guide me to succeed in my training

Thanking you

R.DEVANAND KUMAR
Deva as far as I know, the NRAI won't allow you to shoot rapid fire till you master one other pistol event. The root of all pistol and rifle shooting is air. If not air begin with standard pistol at least, then try to move to rapid fire. Hope our teacher and mentor HVJ1 chimes in.

Regards,

Dev

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:01 pm

Dear friends,

I am back in Paris where the cold wind hugged me to a warm welcome :) . From +32°C in Kolkata to + 4°C in Paris was a good shock from which I am still recovering....
Same is the case with GVM. I am still recovering... 360/400 in GVM (as I was told); 92, 88, 85 & 95.

I really salute all the shooters in India who undergo the infinite extent of adverse conditions and yet stand apart. Each and every shooter in India should get a medal for the simple fact that they turn up to participate and shoot. That itself is a feat!!!

To be frank, I think that I am not fully ready for shooting in Indian conditions. I trained to shoot in noise (the spectators chatting behind the shooters and the effects of the mobile revolution; cellphones singing time and again all around), I trained to shoot in hot and humid conditions (under corrugated sheet roof range with fans turned off voluntarily) anticipating that the AC in range will not work, I trained to overcome mosquito bites (application of Odomos systematically before training session)..; So I I had anticipated everything. WRONG!
I did not anticipate that there could be powercuts which would put you to obscurity all of a sudden during the match. The first blackout was after 7 minutes since the match started. 30 minutes blackout. Lights restored; goes off after 5 minutes. Comes back after 30 seconds; goes off again after a few minutes and gets restored immediately, a few seconds of darkness, enough to destabilize me. Lights are restored... for a long time. Goes off again when I am left with 4 shots to go. Again a long seated break of about 7/8 minutes. The match was over by then.
In that very particular detail, one shooter shot 382/400. I bow down and touch his feet. The next score was 362 followed by 360. In short, not a single man other the SUPERMAN of 382/400, made it to the Nationals in that particular detail.

I came back to Paris on 15th evening and participated in the District/State comp on the 17th. 556/600: 92, 93, 95, 91, 93, 92. I have qualified for the Regionals.

best regards to all

tirpassion

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:31 pm

[quote="tirpassion"]
Dear friends,
I really salute all the shooters in India who undergo the infinite extent of adverse conditions and yet stand apart. Each and every shooter in India should get a medal for the simple fact that they turn up to participate and shoot. That itself is a feat!!! :cheers:

I came back to Paris on 15th evening and participated in the District/State comp on the 17th. 556/600: 92, 93, 95, 91, 93, 92.
I have qualified for the Regionals. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Congrats tirpassion :D
Briha

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:40 pm

Hi Tir,

I totally agree with your salute to the Indian Shooter. He is indeed a very determined animal. Glad that you made it to the regional s. You would be appalled if you saw the equipment control process at the GVM. Hundreds of shooters just hanging around while apathetic officials keep pushing people back. At the end of it, you just want to throw your match away and go home.

Regards,

Dev

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:35 pm

Thanks dev, thanks brihaji!

Indeed, I had the honour to pass through the equipment control session of GVM. The rigourous discipline, the air of a military base with the generals stripping you to your birthday suit just with the looks, the hawk's eye for details...AMAZING!!!

However, my weapon was certified OK with an expired cylinder :lol: which I had voluntarily presented to see their reaction. With the new rule of 10 years validity of cylinder, mine should have been out of service since August 2012. Technical details are more important than safety, I presume...

best regards
tirpassion

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:29 pm

Dear Deva,

Please join a range and use their air pistols. Even second hand air pistols are expensive. You don't need an air pistol till you are sure that you are really going to compete. Not trying to discourage you but that is how it is.

Regards,

Dev

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:34 pm

Congratulations upacharyaji. Vive la France ! ;-)
But all said and done I wish I could have made it to Asansol with its paper targets.
Tomorrow I finalize my Delhi plans and drive into the sunset, err sunrise. :cheers:
Dev, thanks a ton for the list. But should I drive, it will Ginger, Ajronda Chowk, Faridabad since Suraj Kund road is easier to access from South than North. If I latch on to Tatkal then CR Park is where I shall land.

regs
A.

deva_neelu
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by deva_neelu » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:45 pm

dev wrote:Dear Deva,

Please join a range and use their air pistols. Even second hand air pistols are expensive. You don't need an air pistol till you are sure that you are really going to compete. Not trying to discourage you but that is how it is.

Regards,

Dev
Thankyou Dev,

For your suggestion, i don't take anything hard said by you as you are much senior
in this profession. But i want to ask you one thing sir, Could you suggest me any
range near Delhi due to state problems i don't want to take coaching in Hyderabad.
As i forgot to say Sir that i had taken level 1 coaching (open sight 10mts air rifle)
in Gunforglory pune after that i joined as member in local club(Vizag rifle club)
Even though i had participated in open sight 10mts air rifle event
conducted by R.A.A.P one month ago.
So now i wanted to take life time membership in R.A.A.P and i sincerely want to
learn shooting.
Please suggest any range in Delhi as out of A.P. state every state is equal for me.
And also i saw the paying guest accomodation(net) in Delhi for reasonable prices.

Suggest me
With Regards,
Devanand

Chandan22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Chandan22 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:52 am

Hello,

Who's the go to guy to get the range airgun/pistol at Karni Singh?
Do they have any functional ones? And whats the govt rate and actual rate?

Just got my range membership, but there is no info on what facilities etc are available..

Thanks,
~Chandan

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:08 am

hi all
it is laut ke buddhu ghar ko aye again. honestly i am tired of writing these sad tales after each comp. this time my first two sets went just as i had imagined 90 and 91. was hence very happy to take a break and restart the next 20. first two shots 10, 9. i felt i am on target this time. then suddenly two 7. i felt i had hit some emotional or concentration snag. hence took two long breaks. then raised my wpn for the third shot my finger had yet not started any movment and the shot went off. zeroooooo. i was shell shocked. got the wpn down and realised that the trigger shoe had got loose and was at a funny angle to the plain and i had accidentally touched it with some part of my finger. i tightened the triggger shoe but the shoot had got loose. i could not concenterate on my shoot. and a series of bad shots followed and ended up with some score in 330s. by far my worst performance. i guess it is going to be rebuild from zero again.
hey hvj and tir.a few queries after the disastrous shoot
1 is something wrong with my grip. the grip had been modified by the original owner and when i hold it in i position i am comfortable and the wpn remains stable the foresight tends to bend left and down in the sleeping E. when i get the E correct the grip is no longer comfortable and stable and starts shaking in the aiming area. any solution
2 without having touched it can the trigger shoe screw get loose. what should be tech preparation check list prior to the shoot
3 now what do i do. honestly like Dev i too had a fleeting thought of giving up. but it had passed before i came out of the range. i enjoy shooting too much to leave it.
4 hey hvj any time in pune or satara can u have a look at my Lp 10 and me. need a bit of motivation and tech examination
hope agn brings some good news

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:19 am

hey tir.
sorry i was to preoccupied with my sad tale and did not see the good news u had posted. many congratulations sir. keep the flag flyign high. which flag does not matter, the sport should win.
and yes i agree with u about the indian harrowing conditions. what crowd for wpn chk. the shouting by the officials. this time i felt disgusted waiting for the the wpn chk and realised that they did not seem to have enough officials for the chk and hence the inability to get the line moving. Knew the official and went and volunteered to help him. sat down at the table and helped them to move the line. ended up helping myself too by reducing my waiting time and also got to sit instead of standing. i guess with such large No of shooters they need much better handling and more staff. but i saw the josh of the youngsters and it is infectious u know. this is one thing i love whenever i attend the comp. get a bit my josh back inspite of my bad performance and the harrasment due to the ill planning

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:07 pm

Sad to hear about your fate Jitu. You almost made it. Have your pistol checked and then don't touch anything. Locktite the darn thing down if need be. ;-)
There is always another competition, another year...then as I tell Ollie there is the senior shooters level ;-). Cheer up mate, we have loads of time. ROTFL