Tips on Pistol Shooting

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by hvj1 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:33 pm

jitu sati wrote:thx hvj
any idea what is the highest one can achieve with IZH.
jitu
I have said this before, I will repeat it again, the pistol shoots far better than the shooter. Put it in a vice and shoot a group of 10 shots. They will all be in and around the 10.7 mark. :D
Best Regards

For Advertising mail webmaster
hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:40 pm

Hello Tirpassion,
Your dedication is whats getting you results. From what I know of you, MASTER THE SOA, yes do lighten up, reduce the timing of the shot cycle. Too long a shot cycle allows your mind to run around here and there. Preferrably you should be able to shoot within 20 seconds or even lesser. Advantages;
1. You will never be under any time pressure.
2. You will not have any extra time to think other than concentrating on completing the next step of your SOA.
3. I still ask you to time the entire shoot, plot the timing versus scores, you will come up on the greatest secret of high performance shooting.
4. When you master your SOA to the extent that you can shoot 8 to 12 shots continiously. MATCH after MATCH, PRACTICSE SESSION after PRACTICE SESSION, then you will cross 580/600, QUITE EASILY.
All the very best, I sincerely believe that YOU CAN DO IT.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Mental Training for Sports & General Life.

Post by hvj1 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:44 pm

Here's to you mate!
Cheers.

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:56 pm

hey tirpassion gr8 shooting man. some day i too...............................
hvj ur absolutely right. the pistol has no faults. i need more prac. so heres to more dedication
jitu

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:15 pm

Yes , So will you. One day the skills you learn while training with a pistol will help you in future in other spheres.
Mark my words.

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:25 pm

Dear hvj Sir,
I am honoured and I feel extremely encouraged by your words. As a matter of fact, I came to know this afternoon that I had won the competition.

Thanks Jitu for your kind words.
3. I still ask you to time the entire shoot, plot the timing versus scores, you will come up on the greatest secret of high performance shooting.
This point is very much in my mind. I wanted to refine my SOA first before doing the same. Am I wrong in my approach?
The SA drill of today is again at 96%. The expectation of doing 100% is leading me to errors. I am doing the SOA drills in the range during live shooting and the rest at home. Can I continue to do the SOA box drill irrespective of the fact that I have not reached 100% in the SA box drill?

best regards and my gratitudes again to you Sir
tirpassion

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:56 am

Congratulations tirpassion. Way to go. :-)

jitu- Kindly post (how) once you succeed in taming the second set. I have a similar trajectory wrt 2nd set too; albeit on a lower score amplitude. :-( BTW, saw your reference to Dr. Bung's Book on another thread. Reading it now. Thank you very much for the pointer.
==
O Shea (character): Guns make you nervous ?
Charles Bronson: Guns or the users ? Idiots with guns make me nervous.
(Death Wish V)

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:04 am

As a matter of fact, I came to know this afternoon that I had won the competition.
Congratulations on your hard work, dont linger on it though, since you have miles to go....(Frost) :D
This point is very much in my mind. I wanted to refine my SOA first before doing the same. Am I wrong in my approach?
Absolutely correct. Like they say, 'Get your act together first'.
The SA drill of today is again at 96%. The expectation of doing 100% is leading me to errors. I am doing the SOA drills in the range during live shooting and the rest at home. Can I continue to do the SOA box drill irrespective of the fact that I have not reached 100% in the SA box drill?
Please continue doing the SOA drill, regardless.
Read up a bit more on Mental Training...it will show you how to use your diary, mental affirmations and visualisation to achieve 100%.

Finally thank you for your kind words. :cheers:

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:04 pm

congrats tirpassion many more to come
hvj. the SA box drill is continuing and will let u know the progress . it is still 92% as of yesterday
jitu

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:05 pm

hey airgun_novice let me put in an effort to overcome the second set hurdle. will let u know when i solve the riddle
jitu

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:20 pm

Dear Jitu and airgun novice,

If I may permit to say a word, I will say that 'Please do not ponder over a lot on your second set'. It is just a part of the continuous flow of motion. Take everything or every shot as a step. You need to reach the goal/destination by placing one step after another. It may be a path of 40 steps/shots or 60 steps/shots. So there is absolutely no place for a series or set in between.
When you are walking to your destination you care a damn about your first ten or second ten steps or so on. You are only interested to reach your destination safely, on or before time and while doing so, you take utmost care not to fall in a pit, you avoid meticulously others who might barge in you or yourself doing the same, you save your brightly polished shoes from dirt, mud or freshly laid cow dung and dog shit :x . You do all these by taking careful steps in your natural rhythm not to be unnecessarily late or even better, to arrive early. If the path/way seems long, you take rest whenever you feel it is necessary. I repeat 'whenever you anticipate that it is necessary'. It can be anywhere and at anytime. Rest before taking any wrong step.

Please keep on doing the good work as Guruji says, You can make it!

Warm regards
tirpassion
Last edited by tirpassion on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:13 pm

Dear hvj1,
Congratulations on your hard work, dont linger on it though, since you have miles to go....(Frost) :D
Thanks a lot Sir.

I was actually (to my surprise) not interested in the result. I did not even burst out in joy and keep blowing the trumpet around me (many people do :) ). I did tell it out of my own to my wife & children (my 6 year old son always asks me if I had done good work) and to you all. Thanks to the shooting sport that it has taught me to be modest. That is the reason I did not even bother to know who came first or second or so. I was informed by a friend through a sms and I did not even go to collect the trophy (the friend did it for me).

I was more happy with my 90% SOA box drill during the match and that I achieved it after having written down in my diary the day before to achieve the same. In fact, the day before I had done a SOA drill and did 92%. I wrote down in the diary that I should achieve the same level during the match. I had my diary open in front of me and I did 90%. Even if it was not 92%, I was happy.
I think being able to detach myself more and more from the scores/points/accolades. I have a long long way to go and the process is very slow in my case. But I am confident, I can do it. Since you told it, so do I.

Best regards
tirpassion

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:07 am

I was more happy with my 90% SOA box drill during the match
I wrote down in the diary that I should achieve the same level during the match. I had my diary open in front of me and I did 90%. Even if it was not 92%, I was happy.
This precisely how you should go about your training. :D
:cheers:

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:18 pm

Sir,
100% SA drill achieved yesterday (50 holds), SOA drill was at 95% (40 shots). I shot 8 shots each on 5 cards. The time of execution of these 8 shots was 9 minutes approx for each set (inspite of a total of about 4/5 shot cancellations). I took 2 breaks in between of 5 minutes approx in total. So the 40 shots were executed in approximately 50 minutes. The 'Call's were more precise. My aim was, as you said, 'No respite hence, no time for parasitic thoughts, concentrating on the pre-visualization of each step and subsequent execution.' The cards went to the dustbin just after without any temptation of counting. All I know is that I shot well and I achieved 95% in SOA drill. I am feeling better and that I can do it again.
Next week, I will go for timing each step of my SOA.

I hope that the narration of my experience will help others.

best regards
tirpassion

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:41 pm

Sir,
just to add on a word although I am a bit hesitant (should I or should I not out of modesty).
During the SOA drill yesterday, I shot well, rather very well. Although, I did not have the temptation to count, I realize today that it was too well to be true for me. This is disturbing me a bit. I do not want this parasite to enter my head.

best regards
tirpassion