Tips on Pistol Shooting

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Mental Training for Sports & General Life.

Post by airgun_novice » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:28 pm

tirpassion wrote:Dear everyone,

[SNIP]
I have had a few natural compliments from my better half that she finds me to be a different man suddenly. She said that she found a new husband in me. Now that calls for CHAMPAGNE!!!

POP goes the cork!!!

best regards
tirpassion
:cheers:
==
O Shea (character): Guns make you nervous ?
Charles Bronson: Guns or the users ? Idiots with guns make me nervous.
(Death Wish V)

For Advertising mail webmaster
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:04 pm

Oye Tirpassion you are really becoming unbearable, :) first you win a championship and now you have the heartbeat of a young man, just not fair. :mrgreen:
One thing i have found that when I am jogging...oh...all right just huffing and puffing around, my group is much tighter. Another thing that happens that when I have been practicing enough or regularly I feel more confident and thereby shoot better also. For instance my score has improved in every state level competition but by the time a national level comp comes out I am on a nose dive. Cause it pops up just when I stop practicing or take a break.

So I have a lot to do on the mental work, will naturally gain a lot from Guruji here.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:13 am

Hi dev,
A bit of mental training work will do wonders. Believe me!
Will catch up when I am next time in Delhi. I used to live in Tagore Garden for 5 years when I was stationed there. 5 months in France and 7 months in India, maybe 2 months or so in Delhi, the rest being tours all over India.
best regards
tirpassion

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:25 pm

tirpassion

If you plan to visit Mumbai, do let me know........We will can have a brief get-together here......

M.
tirpassion wrote:Hi dev,
A bit of mental training work will do wonders. Believe me!
Will catch up when I am next time in Delhi. I used to live in Tagore Garden for 5 years when I was stationed there. 5 months in France and 7 months in India, maybe 2 months or so in Delhi, the rest being tours all over India.
best regards
tirpassion
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

amarinder
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by amarinder » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:29 pm

Where can in buy IZH Baikal 46 m ? I am from chandigarh , where is nearest possible location of shop ?
"There is no such thing as difficult, Only the man himself is weak"- Amarinder

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:29 pm

Hi fantumfan,

I will love to meet you all guys. Unfortunately, I will not travel to Mumbai in the months to come. But there is a plan to go to Delhi in January 2012 during my visit to India.

Just to tell you a story about overcoming adversity, which is omnipresent in your posts.
I know a shooter in France, who used to shoot righthanded till an injury forced him to abandon the RH position. He started shooting left handed (He says that he is ambidextrous). He is only 33 years old and since last two year, is a regular member of the French national team. His highest official score (lefthanded) is 582/600 and he is ranked 4th in France. He has also been my instructor during my classes of 'Initiator' and other workshops.
When there is a will, there is a way.

best regards
tirpassion

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:03 pm

Hi Guys,
> Very interesting subject ...
> Everything begins with 'Fundamentals' - like they say "Get your Fundas straight" and things will workout to your plan.
> Reminded me of a world renowned photographer (I knew him personally) telling his student who was eager to take pictures on day one ... Don't touch the camera as yet - Go around the city from sunrise to sunset and observe how "Light" falls on various objects and the effect of shadows it creates - because PHOTOGRAPHY means "Painting with Light" - Photo means light & Graphy means to draw or illustrate.
> The above is an analogy that can be applied to any form of activity - Shooting included!
> When it comes to target shooting it's all about keeping focused on the target - the human eye is a remarkable part of the human body which helps in 'motor co-ordination' - helps to direct the limbs to the point of sight (focus).
> Try this simple exercise - Keep a plastic dust bin 10ft away and try lobbing in tennis balls - don't worry about your hand movement etc. Just keep looking at the mouth of the bin and lob the ball - when nothing else is in focus except the mouth of the bin - you can rest assured that at least 6 to 8 balls will drop in!!!
> The more you focus without diverting your mind to anything else but the mouth of the bin and practice reletlessly - you'd be surprised to note that eventually you've lobbed all the 10 balls into the bin.
> Secondly its important to know your 'Gun' well - meaning getting familiar with it - treat the gun as an extention of your arm / body and not as a mere gadget to propel a pellet.
> Hold your weapon, feel its contours, caress it, create a mental bond between you and your gun - make sure your gun fits you like a glove - here the length of pull and hold are very important - that's why match weapons come with adjustable cheek rests & length of pull.
> Meditation & breath control is extremely important - to steady your limbs - relax your body & focus.
> Stretching exrcises to loosen muscles (neck / shoulders / hip / thighs) because when you are tense there will be no body & mind co-ordination.
> A positive attitude to adapt to environment / situation is another important factor - "When you're sinking act like a Submarine". Wow! what a statement - you can't say it better.
> Things like inspiration, motivation, desire, dedication, perseverence and the will to win is of utmost importance.
> Remember - When it took Thomas Alva Edison 1000 experiments to invent the Light Bulb - he did not consider the 999 attempts as failures - Instead he said "I found 999 ways not to make the same mistake'!!!!
> Well, so much for "Food for thought" :D
Cheers
Briha

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:25 am

Hello Tirpassion,
I have often thrown away my cards after shooting a practice session and believe me I initially spent the rest of the day, feeling like a half eaten apple (meaning half of me was there, trying to fighure out just how the other half would have tasted) :D . Gradually, my mind craved for anything to feed my ego, eventually it started feeding on the percentage achieved in box drills. But it does take woof woof a lot of guts, strength of charachter, blah, blah and other things that you never knew you had it in you. In short Tirpassion, GREAT GOING, sure signs of GREAT STRENGTH OF CHARACHTER as well Mental capacity.
Best Regards

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:32 am

tirpassion wrote:Sir,
just to add on a word although I am a bit hesitant (should I or should I not out of modesty).
During the SOA drill yesterday, I shot well, rather very well. Although, I did not have the temptation to count, I realize today that it was too well to be true for me. This is disturbing me a bit. I do not want this parasite to enter my head.

best regards
tirpassion
IGNORE the parasitic thoughts, remember, such thoughts and many other such thoughts will intrude into your conscious, DO NOT LINGER ON THEM OR FEEL BOTHERED, just accept the fact that they will come and that YOU WILL ignore them, the same way, you see dogs or other animals run over on the highway. Linger on them too much and it will pull you down. Just accept it, these things happen, thats the way nature works. These thoughts come alive and grow big, only if YOU FEED THEM WITH YOUR ENERGY, ignore them, eventually starved of your mental energy, they wither away and die.

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:13 pm

wow tirpassion
that would really take a lot of str to shoot well and not count. lot to learn for beginners like me
hey hvj. have local competition on 15-17 jan. am taking part. aim is to improve on my SA% and SOA. so pl advise anything i should do for the next 15-20days. any fixed time table i should follow. rest assured will follow it in letter and spirit. tirpassion ur views are needed too
jitu

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:15 pm

hey amrinder IZH is not easily available unless some one is ready to sell u his wpn. see the adds on the site. i got my IZH after a lot of search. ask dev and olly may be they will be able to help the way they helped me
jitu

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:41 pm

Sir,
Thanks a lot for your encouraging words. The fact of having told about the 'hesitating part', I felt better and the slight disturbance has withered away. I am just waiting to do / get better box drill percentage. Yes, I will have to work a lot to get my mind straight. The good thing is that I have started already.

Thanks a lot Jitu also.
Shooting odd number of shots helped me not to count the scores as I had told you earlier. After say 8 shots, you bring the card back and turn it backside on (overleaf) so that you do not see the real impacts. Once the session is over, you smartly take the cards and throw them in the dustbin telling to yourself 'It is not important, I have done good work and can do it again or even better'. Self talk can be used anywhere. Now see your box drill and be happy of the good work / percentage you have achieved.

Now that the Christmas festivities are on, the sport life has suddenly come to a stand still/halt. Family gatherings, overeating and free flow of wine are on the cards for a few days; a nice occasion to gather some extra mega bonus calories lost with a lot of patience and hard work in the last few months :wink: .

Merry Christmas to all of you!
ENJOY!!!

tirpassion

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:29 am

hey hvj and tirpassion
any advice on how to train 15 days prior to a comp.
jitu

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:05 pm

Dear Jitu,

I would do exactly what I have been doing regularly; the physical and mental training, the technical training (figure '8's, SA box drill, dry fire trigger control exercise and SOA box drill during live shooting) and obviously the regular update of the DIARY with full of positive thoughts.
Did you get your SOA fixed? This is of utmost importance. Write the steps down one after another and follow the same meticulously during both technical training and live shooting. Even if you are doing the box drills, follow your SOA. You will find the whole thing to be very pleasing to the point that you will be happy to do the same.
The moment you feel that the exercises are not constraints but a pleasure to execute, you will radically change.

I request hvj to comment on my viewpoints and add on.

best regards
tirpassion

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:53 pm

+1