Tips on Pistol Shooting

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by dev » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:59 am

jitu sati wrote:hey dev hitting such a small tgt is great. but i guess one needs to do one live shoot per week atleast. i will take mine today evening. lets see how much SA% i get
jitu
Hi Jitu,

Yes that shot felt great and the week prior to this I shot an ear bud to bits. If this was the wild west I'd be good to go but since its is ISSF shooting, I am barely in training.
Will try to shoot a mini-match on the weekend, till then it will be SA box sets. Now, if only there was a match for box sets. :D
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

For Advertising mail webmaster
tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:49 pm

Dear Dev,
Nice to hear about your daughter. More so, because I am again passing sleepless (few only) nights with mine. Recurring high fever. Hope that it is nothing grave.

I remember having read in one of your posts a reference of something 80% - 20% on training and live shooting which is a method of a Russian gentleman named ... You mentioned that you read that on a site. Can you please give me the thread? I would love to go through the contents.

best regards
tirpassion

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:13 am

hey dev
nice to hear about your daughter. it reminded me of my time some 10yrs ago. my daughter is now 11 .but one does miss those innocent baby smiles. hey tirpassion take care dont let the fever go too high. i am sure you must have started medication. but tc all the same.
dev do let me also know about the trg sys of this russian gentleman
jitu

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:53 am

Hi Guys,

Tir hope your baby gal is better and growing well, mine had fever for a day and I drove the Doc around the bend. Heck, he better suffer as much as I do. :-)
The peron I talked about and whom both you and Jitu are interested in is Ruslan, who goes by the handle of Russ. He is often combative in his posts but very serious about what he wants people to achieve. I am attaching a link to one of his debates. http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=33617

Regards,

Dev

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:20 pm

Hello Tirpassion,
I have seen your cards and you need to do the following;
1.Remove the palm rest.
2.Tighten that grip, specifically the base (webbing) V between your thumb and forefinger. You should be able to hold the pistol rock steady with your V, with the smaller fingers playing only a SUPPORT ROLE.
3. Having tightened your V, reduce your shot cyle to TWO shots (because initially you will not be able to do more than TWO), till such time you get used to the new tightened grip.
4. Do Fig. 8 exercises without palm rest make sure to take AMPLE rest between each repitition. You have to go slow and steady. Push ups on finger tips will greatly help.
5. Finally, with the tightened grip, you have ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS OF LEAVING THE 10TH RING, worst should be a missing 10. Got it.
Best Regards

ABOVE EXERCISE IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR JITU, AGN AND DEV.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:29 pm

Thank you saar :-) , one is still struggling to ride a horse with saddle and stirrups, Tir can ride without the stirrup. Me more than happy. Nice to read from you again.

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:00 am

Dear Friends,
Thanks for your kind words. My angel is fine now. She just caught cold a few days back and hence the fever.

Thanks dev for the link. I read the topic and found you also in Targettalk. Ruslan has a very straight forward approach and is profoundly professional. I understand what he says. Get the basics right and fortify them. That is precisely what we are doing here, each of us on his own rhythm.

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:02 am

Guruji,
thanks for your words after a long time. We know that you are 'watching from a distance'... :)

I went to shoot the 50m free pistol for the first time in my life today. Used a TOZ35 of a friend. I read your comments before and tried the thumb / index web tightening on the TOZ grip where the palm rest was far away from my palm. I must say that it is incredibly tough. I must also admit that the impacts were denser on the card.
On my AP, my new grip has a fixed palm rest because it is made to my hand. Should I go back to the old grip for the exercise you talked about? Frankly speaking, I am a bit scared of this exercise already. Will dig out the courage and go for it.
My initiation to 50m free pistol was GREAT. I shot 50 shots. This is an amazing discipline and I am ready to adopt it.
I have an option of getting my hand on a TOZ35 and a Hammerli FP60 for 50m free pistol event and may be buy one of them this year. Both are used, priced almost the same and with Rink grips. Which one would you suggest?

best regards
tirpassion

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:21 am

1. Both pistols are good, select one after having fired 100 shots from each.
2. Do not attempt the v grip on Free Pistol, Yet.
3. Go back to old grip, grit your teeth, YOU CAN DO IT.

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:29 pm

Well noted Sir,
Will go to the range this afternoon itself and start off.
The morning session will consist of running behind (far behind) my son who will pedal his small cycle followed by a session at the RANGE, this time the cooking range :D

Enjoy your Sunday!
tirpassion

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:44 pm

Guruji,
It was a real battle today with my own self for the V gripping. The most difficult part was the figure '8's. Did 20 reps with each hand (V gripping for the RH only). Never did I need to rest so much in between.
As instructed, I took 40 live shots in cycle of 2 shots. Again an uphill task but still managed in 43 minutes. The beginning was even tougher because the concentration was on the gripping and the subsequent pain it produced. Still I am happy about it. Here is the card with 40 impacts.

An interesting thing to note is the 2 distinct groups. The upper one is the first shot of the 2 shot cycle in most cases while the 2nd shot was mostly down due to difficulty of keeping the V grip intact as the 1st shot. The only shot (last but one which is marked in red in the 10th ring) made a bridge to defy my hypothesis. The one on top, the bad 7/6 at 12 o'clock position, was the result of my frustration (it was the 19th shot to be precise). But after that, I gathered my spirits back and kept working. I am pretty surprised to see that these groups can be achieved without the palm rest of the grip.

I faced problems with the trigger work. The trigger finger was not that free to work. It may also be because of the incorrect trigger blade position because with the V gripping and because of the change of the grip the trigger blade was a bit far away.

Your comments are welcome as well as those of our friends.

warm regards
tirpassion
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:57 am

hey hvj
nice to see you after a long time. i am still fighting my SA%. one thing which has been bothering me is correct grip. invariably it ends up spoiling my score. what i have realised is that my hands are small and the distance between the grip and the trigger on my izy even after shaving the wood on the grip remains large. to get my finger properly placed on the trigger i end up turning my holding fingers on the grip which as a corollary spoil my v grip which becomes loose. so i need to desperately get the distance reduced. in the manual it is written that the screw on the trigger would help me adjust the distance but it does not budge at all. request advice
jitu

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:33 pm

Hello Tirpassion,
1. I would not pay much attention or value to the groups at present, the only thing to concentrate on is as follows;
1. Grit your teeth and stick to 2 shot cycle.
2. Take rest because the muscles are being stressed.
3. Drink water, flex fingers.
4. Trigger finger WILL eventually free itself after 10 to -12 sessions.
5. WRIST LOCK is terribly important to reduce the vertical spread.
6. Be mentally prepared for a long haul and NO immediate results.
7. Finger pushups on finger and thumb tips only. You should be able to do 10 reps in one go. REST then go for shorter reps.
8. DO NOT DELAY YOUR SHOT BREAK, otherwise your trigger finger with new grip will GET USED to it.

Hello Jitu,
CHANGE YOUR GRIP, buy new grips, filing wood will eventually lead you to bare metal.

Best Regards to both.

PLEASE NOTE: For any novices reading this V grip business, DO NOT ATTEMPT it.

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:05 pm

7. Finger pushups on finger and thumb tips only. You should be able to do 10 reps in one go. REST then go for shorter reps.
Sir, I tried the push-up on fingers yesterday. I could only manage ONE. It seems that I will have to lose another 5 to 7 kilos of prosperity from the upper part of the body :D
Sir, I am getting poorer day by day having already lost 6 kilos in the last 3 months. I am still overweight at 70kg for 1.64m.

I am prepared for the LONG HAUL. I am convinced that the exercise will work with time. It was a very positive beginning. So I will stick to it.

best regards
tirpassion

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:11 pm

guruji
u have advised me to change grips. now it took me a year to manage just this ap. i dont know how i can get new grips. any advise when one should graduate to a decent pcp. any available? what should i buy first hand or second.
by the way in the karni singh trophy iwas 7th with (350) out of 33 shooters in the nra cat
jitu