Karni Singh Range - Facilities

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
Chandan22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Karni Singh Range - Facilities

Post by Chandan22 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:04 pm

Gentlemen,

Those of you who use the Karni Singh Range, would you know if there is any membership guidelines, facilities list etc available anywhere?
I have taken membership but beyond having received my I-card, I was unable to find any official document outlining facilities etc, like say the information on the boards at Siri Fort DDA Sports Complex. Asking the people in the armory was not very helpful as there wasn't any comprehensive and clear info given.

Thanks to some members who shared what they knew, but I was curious as to why there isn't any handbook/guidelines etc, and if there is, how do I get hold of it.
Primarily I would like to know
a. procedure for utilising the range, including whether one needs to pre-book, who to contact when reaching the range etc.
b. procedure for renting a weapon, including whether it needs seperate permission, who to contact, status of available weapons, pricing etc.
c. any restrictions/limitations on usage.

In case no one has seen any such information, perhaps an RTI to SAI should elicit the right response.

Thoughts?

~Chandan

For Advertising mail webmaster
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Karni Singh Range - Facilities

Post by dev » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:30 am

From what little I know for air pistol there is a coach Ms.Shakun who one can approach at the range.
For the 25m range no booking is required take the lane that no one is using.
Pistol is available for license holder at Rs.20 per hour.
Ammo to be brought from Delhi State in charge Mr. Harnam Singh by Delhi State Members.
Some range lanes are reserved for national team etc. so be wary of that.

An RTI sounds good to ask why they don't allow the pay and pay scheme, which doesn't need membership.
Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Chandan22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Chandan22 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:39 pm

Hello,

Dev, the info you provided is probably the most that is available...

So I guess an RTI makes sense. I intend to frame one and send it out by this weekend. Perhaps I'll post it here for comments before sending it off.

There is an equally pressing discussion going on at DSRA facebook about armed forces people hogging the range. I guess there also people don't really know the procedures intimately and hence no one can really do anything concrete. Perhaps the RTI answer will show some light.

~Chandan

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:57 am

Yup the armed forces teams generally occupy three to four lanes. But they are pleasant chaps and good to make friends with. Most of them are experts(elite shooters) and will also share their knowledge if one asks.

Chandan22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Chandan22 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:25 pm

Hello,

This is how I plan to file an RTI to Sports Authority of India for informtion on Dr. Karni Singh Range

Request you all to please go through and advise on how to make it better.

RTI - APPLICATION FOR INFORMATION

1. Is there any listing of Guidelines for Members under the Come & Play Scheme for Dr. Karni Singh Range, which lists out the privileges and obligations of members?

2. Is there any listing of Rules for Members under the Come & Play Scheme for Dr. Karni Singh Range?

3. If the answer to either of the above questions is "YES", please specify the process by which a member may access the said Guidelines or Rules.

4. Which official at the range will have a copy of the above Rules/Guidelines and what is the policy with regards to providing members a copy?

5. What is the policy with regards to making members aware of their rights and responsibilities as members, during the procedure of taking membership?

6.What is the procedure and formalities to be followed by any member to utilise any shooting range? Are there any restrictions on the make/model/type of weapon which a member may use in any range, subject to

7. Is there any procedure for "booking" a lane in any shooting range or is it on First Come First Serve basis?

8. Which official of the range must be intimated about a members intention to utilise a lane in any shooting range?

9. Which official will operate the scoring system in any lane of any shooting range for a member desiring to practise shooting in said lane of said range?

10. What is the timing of availability of the above mentioned officers for approach by members for using shooting range?

11. Is there any restriction on time of use for any lane in any range per member, per day or weekly or any other time period?

12. What is the policy with regards to providing weapons (Air and Firearm) for members to use in the ranges on chargeable basis?

13. Please provide details of all weapons available at Dr. Karni Singh Range formembers to use for shooting practise including Category, Calibre, Manufacturer, Year of Manufacture, Service Condition etc. Also, which official is the custodian of the said weapons and is responsible for issuing these to members desirous of using the same?

14. Please provide details on utilisation of each weapon in terms of number of days it was issued to members for practise in the calendar year 2013.

15. If any weapon is not in usable state, please provide details on date from which it was specified in that condition and estimated date of repair and hence date of being available again.

16. Which official is responsible for maintenance of weapons in serviceable state and what is the policy with regards to repair and maintenance of the weapons, especially the timeline for repair of weapons not in usable state?

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:05 pm

its very comprehensive but not sure why you need info in the 14-16

Chandan22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Chandan22 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:43 pm

I put 14-16 so that they can't reply saying there are X weapons there and are all serviceable.
If they have to provide records of last usage, it will indicate whether or not they are being true in their statement.

It will also show whether or not they are being used by members, and if not, it can be corelated with the service condition of the weapon.

Chandan

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:41 pm

Good luck, Chandan. I'm keen to see what responses you get. They will be very beneficial to a lot of potential aspirants.

skeetshot
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by skeetshot » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:49 pm

Very good to demand the RTI

Also, the DR KSSR is a national range and not a club, and all shooters have a right to use this facility without ANY payment, that is part of the manifesto of the SAI and Sports Ministry

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:20 pm

And please ask why do shooters (pistol) have to bring their own template and roll for the electronic target? What the heck are we paying a membership fee for?

Regards,

Dev

Chandan22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Chandan22 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:51 pm

hello,

Was checking that RTI can be filed online with SAI... just waiting to validate whether it is the right authority to receive the RTI.

On the roll/paper part, I think consumables should be sold or made available..
but if they have a process in place, I think it should anyway cover all this.

Will keep you all posted.

~chandan

Chandan22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

RTI Filed : Re: Karni Singh Range - Facilities

Post by Chandan22 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:44 pm

RTI Filed !
Now to see if any answers are forthcoming.

Chandan22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Chandan22 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:49 pm

The RTI seeking information on Karni Singh Range facilities was filed in April in the Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs.
No response was received for a period of 30 days, which is the stipulated time period.

On 16th May, a First Appeal was filed.
The response for the First Appeal was generated on 4th June, which stated that due to a system error the RTI was sent by the receiving ministry to the relevant CPIO but was not received by him, hence there was no response.
The RTI has since been sent to the relevant authority for direct response and hence the First Appeal has been disposed off.

Now waiting to see if the "relevant authority" will deign to reply.

Chandan

Chandan22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Chandan22 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:38 pm

UPDATE

The first appeal was disposed off saying there was a computer error due to which the RTI did not reach the right department.
Hence it was forwarded to Sports Authority of India.

Got a letter from them after 2 weeks that the RTI was now forwarded to the Administrator of Karni Singh.

Waiting for a reply...

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:53 pm

Ah very good. Let us see what they say.

Regards,

Dev