Mad Minute record.

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Mad Minute record.

Post by fantumfan2003 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:14 pm

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_minute

Has anyone tried this ?
I am gonna try it this weekend.
Sure gonna be fun doing it.

M.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

For Advertising mail webmaster
fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Mad Minute record.

Post by fantumfan2003 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:03 pm

That translates to a 12.75mm target at 10mtrs for air gunners.

:D

M.
fantumfan2003 wrote:http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_minute

Has anyone tried this ?

M.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:51 pm

If you look at the top records, firing 30 shots with a Lee-Enfield, with 5 clip changes (IMHO, WW1 L-Es had a clip, not a magazine), works out to a shot in less than 2 seconds. Can you work the bolt, aim, and shoot in less than 2 seconds?
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:57 pm

MAD MINUTE was a pre-World War I term used by British Army riflemen during training at the Hythe School of Musketry to describe scoring a minimum of 15 hits onto a 12" round target at 300 yards (270 m) within one minute using a bolt-action rifle (usually a Lee-Enfield or Lee-Metford rifle).

It was not uncommon during the First World War for riflemen to greatly exceed this score. Many riflemen could average 30 plus shots. The record, set in 1914 by Sergeant Instructor Alfred Snoxall, was 38 hits. During the Battle of Mons, there were numerous German accounts of coming up against what they believed was machine gun fire when in fact it was squads of riflemen firing at this rate.

In the Vietnam War, the term was used to describe a drill involving intense automatic weapons fire, intended to flush out infiltrators or ambushes.

"MAD MINUTE" has remained in military parlance as a term to describe any short period of intense weapons fire.

Wonder if anyone could try the “MAD MINUTE” with Break Barrels (0.22 or 0.177) and see how many pellets could be discharged???

ANY TAKERS? :skeet: :skeet: :skeet:
Briha

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:59 pm

Yes I have seen that being done with an SMLE.
Want to try Mad Minute yourself ?

M.
essdee1972 wrote: Can you work the bolt, aim, and shoot in less than 2 seconds?

Darr ke aage jeet hai

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:13 pm

fantumfan2003 wrote:Yes I have seen that being done with an SMLE.
Want to try Mad Minute yourself ?

M.
essdee1972 wrote: Can you work the bolt, aim, and shoot in less than 2 seconds?
I really have my doubts about being able to accurately hit such a small target at 300 yards with that kind of rate of fire.This man shooting in this video was not a slouch by any means. He practically doesn't pause at any moment. It still takes him over a minute to let off 30 rounds. I just do not see the possibility for any sort of aiming at that rate of fire.

Has anyone tried shooting with open sights at 300 yards with a centrefire cartridge like the venerable .303? I did a lot of shooting with it when training for the BLC competition at Delhi during my NCC days. Really not an easy job even with deliberate aim, let alone snap shooting.

IMHO, rapid rate of firing is possible; accurate rapid firing is not. If someone can prove otherwise, I will be very pleased to see it.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:13 pm

Vikram

In the NCC I have seen an old sergeant from the Paras shoot rapidly with the 7.62 conversion of the SMLE. Dont remeber the range. But he was fast. Way too fast. The target was the standard thing they gave out at the time. All shots were on target.

Even the youtube author managed at least the cycling in that time.

M.
Last edited by fantumfan2003 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:24 pm

Brihaji

The wiki link I posted contains the exact same info.
Hold on till monday and I will report back with how many in a minute with a springer.

I am so looking forward to Sunday.

M.
brihacharan wrote:
Wonder if anyone could try the “MAD MINUTE” with Break Barrels (0.22 or 0.177) and see how many pellets could be discharged???

ANY TAKERS? :skeet: :skeet: :skeet:
Briha

Darr ke aage jeet hai

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:11 am

Has anyone tried this ?

M.
Good Luck FF2003 - do let us know how it goes and with pix of the targets and with the stats on black circle hits. BTW how many minutes do you intend on staying "mad" anyway ? ;-) Sorry, had to slip in that one. :cheers: regs, A.

skeetshot
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by skeetshot » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:34 pm

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:26 pm

So my mad minute record was five shots at 9mtrs with the HW underlever.
It was great fun giving it a go.
How about quitting being keyboard commandos for a change and trying it out with whatever you own ?

M.

Has anyone tried this ?

M.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:52 pm

fantumfan2003 wrote:So my mad minute record was five shots at 9mtrs with the HW underlever.
It was great fun giving it a go.
How about quitting being keyboard commandos for a change and trying it out with whatever you own ?

M.

Has anyone tried this ?
M.
FF,
> For an underlever HW it works out to 12secs a shot - that's commendable :D
> Maybe with a little practice it could come down even further....
> Nevertheless an interesting exercise...
> BTW your grouping is admirable :D
Briha

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:19 pm

brihacharan wrote:[SNIP]
Briha
I agree Brihji. FF has displayed remarkable grouping in his MM. Minus one all the shots are in black. Considering that it comes from a "slow" shooting target shooter, it's all the more commendable. Normally FF would have trained himself to take a minute or more to shoot a single shot. So pumping in 6 with a springer - all in a minute, well... cool.

Now a few Qs for FF just so that I can walk the path -
1. I assume it's standing free hold position, right ?
2. Where did you place the pellets/ open tin ? I mean was there a stand or table that you used ? Of course had it been prone, then no use of such helpful aids.

I guess it's a good "project" for IFGians, especially CMG to try out their hand at this game and compare experience and cards. This would be a good chat-topic on forum and in person. What say ?

regs
A.

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:58 am

Great observations AGN.
It takes one to know one.
Shot from a rest sitting. Pellets were laid down on the floor nose down in 4x5 matrix.
This speed shooting stuff is indeed quite different from what we do.

As for others in the gang ? Its hard to quit being KC.

:lol:

M.
airgun_novice wrote:
brihacharan wrote:[SNIP]
Briha
I agree Brihji. FF has displayed remarkable grouping in his MM. Minus one all the shots are in black. Considering that it comes from a "slow" shooting target shooter, it's all the more commendable. Normally FF would have trained himself to take a minute or more to shoot a single shot. So pumping in 6 with a springer - all in a minute, well... cool.

Now a few Qs for FF just so that I can walk the path -
1. I assume it's standing free hold position, right ?
2. Where did you place the pellets/ open tin ? I mean was there a stand or table that you used ? Of course had it been prone, then no use of such helpful aids.

I guess it's a good "project" for IFGians, especially CMG to try out their hand at this game and compare experience and cards. This would be a good chat-topic on forum and in person. What say ?

regs
A.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:49 am

Hand held, standing, with son holding pellet dabba at my right (and simultaneously keeping time on my cellphone...... poor kid!!!). With Orion 0.22. 10 m. Open sights. It takes hardly 6-8 sec to cock & load an Orion (ne pellet seaters, obviously), and I was trying to pump out the shots ASAP.

Lost quite a bit on target holding and follow through. All shots scattered. This was done for larks in the midst of weekend afternoon shooting, hence didn't "prep" anyway.

Agree with Brihaji, this seems to be a skill worth trying to develop, esp. for fun plinking guys like me. If not charging German Jaegers, one can take out lots of bottle caps in a minute of madness!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley