How to shoot a '10', The Sequence of Steps (SOS)

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: How to shoot a '10', The Sequence of Steps (SOS)

Post by Rajat » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:16 pm

Had seen your previous video "The Essentials of a Good Grip" yesterday and was rehearsing and checking where I could improve and did not even finish when the new video came up today!

I must say that your confidence and fluency must come from years of teaching and explaining this subject to numerous people. It is not what someone could achieve as a first timer. Its almost like a lecture from a university professor BUT the only difference being that the subject is quite different and interesting. :)

The current video regarding visualization and rehearsal focuses on a very important aspect which could only be achieved by a lot of practice and correction and then more practice.

Many people will gain from your videos.

Was the last video edited twice between 4:45 and 4:55 minutes or was it my imagination? :wink:

Now off the topic and into the film making part: It was a good effort and I mean that with the means available to an amateur doing it on his own it was pretty good. I do not mean to be critical but the ending needs some work. It should be a bit "softer" (for the lack of a better word).

Truly appreciate your efforts and keep the videos coming.

For Advertising mail webmaster
hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:49 pm

Thanks Rajat.

Yes the Video was edited no less than 13 to 14 times. Definitely the ending and the beginning requires better animation. If you were to observe and compare the last two videos, you will see the following improvements;
1. The lighting is sufficient and continuous, there are no shadows and or patches.
2. The background sound was subjected to intensive editing and you will find far better quality in the following videos. The sound editing was done by SoundPad software.
3. The entire video is made out of 5 clips, each clip contained approximately 3-4 minute footage. The joining and transition points
were achieved by VideoPad.
4. In future the footage will be passed through another round of sound editing using Audacity.

It took me 73 hours (actual man hours), to scour the internet for required software, downloading the stuff, then learning how to use them and then, tearing out most of my hair, trying to figure out the various types of files; .aif, .wav, .mp3, .aiv, .aiff, .vpj and many more. Because each software has its own working file type and to use one into the other, requires new software, video converters, audio rippers from video and file converters, so that all the downloaded software can use the files and churn out output.

AND Gentlemen, I owe my motivation to Benedose, who pointed me in the right direction AND most importantly, my Friend Atul Gupta, who gave me a swift kick in the pants regarding the shoddy amateur quality of the videos. " Hemant, we need videos off world class standard, which set standards on how shooting videos should be like".
I am working on the following;
1. Improving the background- I know that the home environment ( back verandah) does not give that class.
2. Sound quality will improve as I gain mastery.
3. Editing and addition of music and Text.

Thank you all for supporting me and bearing up with me in my monologue.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:16 am

My wife was helping me out, but I lost my temper on her for one shot, the result- she handed me the camera and walked off in a huff, I did get to eat that day ,but the smile was absent.
Your wife does that to you too? :lol:
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:09 am

Posting all 3 links inline.

All videos need editing to make them slick. It is the unedited videos that usually grate. Thanks for taking the trouble hvj1

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

to_saptarshi
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by to_saptarshi » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:50 am

Guruji , as suggested I am posting my question here . I really like to know the proper steps, a shooter should follow for his zero point correction while taking stance ? I mostly shoots NRA matches here , where we normally shoots 5 shoots or 2 shots per target, and in most ranges we do not have a electric pully or hand crank to change the target. So we have to collect and change the target after every 5 shots by walking down to target stand. Eventually I have to rebuild my stance position from scratch after every five shot or two shots , within the given time.

Since I don't change my grip during five shot, I see a very tight and consistent group , but they keep shifting right or left in every five shot group. Which I strongly believe happening due to my incorrect zero point or NPA.

In all your video , I have observed that, you directly took the shoot , without even checking for zero point. The reality is you already knew that your NPA is correct and that's why you directly go for shot development process, but how you did that just by looking into the target ? I know your experience makes a lot difference here, but is there any other method someone should follow ? The challenge is , if I close my eyes facing target and start finding my zero point by stretching hand to check where it naturally points , That may take too much time , and I may not be able to take all five shots confidently thus put me in time pressure , so I am kind of lost here , and really not sure how to handle this. Please guide me on this.

P.S This particular range has a carpet flooring, hence marking my foot position is also not an option :(
Thanks and Regards,
Saptarshi

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:23 pm

Hello to_saptarshi
]Since I don't change my grip during five shot, I see a very tight and consistent group , but they keep shifting right or left in every five shot group. Which I strongly believe happening due to my incorrect zero point or NPA.
[/quote

Obviously you shoot on an open range, where the wind does have an effect on the extended arm. That should be taken into account first and foremost. Otherwise, I think you maybe right about your NPA.

In all your video , I have observed that, you directly took the shoot , without even checking for zero point. The reality is you already knew that your NPA is correct and that's why you directly go for shot development process, but how you did that just by looking into the target ?
Your observation was pretty sharp, if you replay the tape where I comment that I will now be concentrating on my SOS and hence no commentary, observe very carefully, you might just see me making micro corrections in the feet position before I pause to visualise and then lift the pistol. Maybe its not all that clear, but Yes!, I didn't bother to check my NPA or Body Zeroing and just took the shot ramming through the slight opposition by my arm muscles , which at that point of time were pulling slightly towards the LEFT. What I should have done; was to stop, adjust my position and then shoot. But I just shrugged it off because the camera was rolling...
Now I wouldn't be so nonchalant if I was shooting a match or even a practice session.
Coming to your point; The quickest way to check your NPA, is to be very tuned in, to what your arm muscles are saying when you lift the pistol, if you feel the pistol is going to the right or left fractionally, then quickly cancel the shot, and adjust your feet, lift your pistol and check whether it is OK.
The above takes practice and you can do it, by consciously practising it. With the passage of time this gets ingrained into your subconscious and the quick adjustment is made without conscious effort.
All right, I promise to address this question in my next video.
Thank you for asking me a really meaning full question and I enjoyed answering you, sincerely hope that my answer satisfies your question completely, if not fire away again till you are satisfied with my reply.
Regards

to_saptarshi
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by to_saptarshi » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:23 pm

Sorry for replying late. My sincere thanks to you Guruji for clarifying my doubts and explain it in detail, and It would be really great if you cover this important aspects of adjusting NPA in your next video.

Regarding video ,
I am not able to hear any sound at all, not sure if its happening to me ( I hope its not specific to location specific IP address ), as I am surprised to see no one mentioned this so far. Other users from US can confirm that .

Last but not least , going forward I will post my questions in TOPS thread only , as it is better to keep it organized under one thread for benefit of others. My sincere request to Abhijeet or other moderators , if they can move previous two posts under TOPS thread please. Sorry for this trouble, and my apology for posting my questions in a separate thread.
Thanks and Regards,
Saptarshi

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:34 pm

Regarding video ,
I am not able to hear any sound at all, not sure if its happening to me ( I hope its not specific to location specific IP address ), as I am surprised to see no one mentioned this so far. Other users from US can confirm that .
to_saptarshi audio seems to be fine here in Canada.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

to_saptarshi
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by to_saptarshi » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:39 pm

Thanks ckkalyan for confirming this, but surprisingly its not working here . I checked with other laptops , other browsers but it didn't worked :(
Thanks and Regards,
Saptarshi

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:20 am

I will check it out today (audio)

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:18 am

Just checked, the audio on all the videos are working just fine.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:24 pm

Yep, The audio seems to be okay.

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:44 am

Audio works for me too. Using Chrome.
Guruji, very much helpful. Videos keep improving. May be you can now make a small 3 minute film on shooting titled - "MY CHOICE" ;-)
regs, A.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:44 pm

airgun_novice wrote:. Videos keep improving. May be you can now make a small 3 minute film on shooting titled - "MY CHOICE" ;-)
regs, A.
My Choice ? Duh! No can understand...kindly illuminate.

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:46 am

Sirji, It's the name of the current hot topic (not fizzling out) - a controversial film of about 3 minutes starring Dipika Padukone extolling "modern girls' rights" to do just about *anything* she chooses inside/ outside of marriage. Received a lot of flak from "modern" viewed liberators as well as traditionalists. Many made short features and caricatures of the same name. Sorry for the late reply. regs, A.