Is it actually possible to see all 10 rings in a 10m air rifle target?

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
dakini
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Is it actually possible to see all 10 rings in a 10m air rifle target?

Post by dakini » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:58 pm

Hey guys, I am just starting to practice shooting seriously, and as a first step I wanted to move from bottle cap and chalk-mark-on-plywood targets to the actual ones. So I printed out a target sheet from the ISSF. However, at 10 meters distance I can not see any of the rings on the target; I can distinguish the rings only at upto 2-3 meters. (I already had my eyes retested a few weeks back). Is something wrong with my eyes? Do I have any hope of shooting well if I cannot even see the rings on the target?? How clearly do/can shooters see the target rings???

Many thanks!

For Advertising mail webmaster
sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Is it actually possible to see all 10 rings in a 10m air rifle target?

Post by sohampaul11 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:28 pm

You cannot see the rings at a distance of 10m. It's natural. There's nothing wrong with your eyes.

dakini
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by dakini » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:47 pm

sohampaul11 wrote:You cannot see the rings at a distance of 10m. It's natural. There's nothing wrong with your eyes.
Thank you! That's a relief. But how can I be sure I am aiming at the right point if I can't even see it?

sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sohampaul11 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:10 pm

The black portion is your target. You need to zero your rifle (if you are using open sights) such that you are aiming just below the target. A sample sight picture has been attached.
upload a picture

Make sure you are focusing only on the front sight. Both the rear sight as well as the target should be out of focus.

dakini
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by dakini » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:30 pm

sohampaul11 wrote:The black portion is your target. You need to zero your rifle (if you are using open sights) such that you are aiming just below the target. A sample sight picture has been attached.
upload a picture

Make sure you are focusing only on the front sight. Both the rear sight as well as the target should be out of focus.
Thanks a lot! I had read about zeroing of course, but had the impression that one should be aiming just below the the 10 dot. Thanks, now I can continue :)

AnandNair
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by AnandNair » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:30 pm

The black part and the rings of 10m ISSF Rifle target is too small to clearly see the ring with naked eye. The target is also meant for use with globe / peep sight. if you have them then try and adjust the globe sight so that when you look through it, the aperture should match the size of the black circle at 10 m. That way if you center your globe sight aperture with the black circle then your shots will also be centered.
Some learn by reading. A few by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence.