Tips on Pistol Shooting

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by jitu sati » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:14 am

ok gr8 gurus. will continue. the query was bcause there were advices by local shooters that one should start taking a shoot daily for last 15 days. which did not seem very logical, hence the question
jitu

For Advertising mail webmaster
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Mental Training for Sports & General Life.

Post by dev » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:07 pm

tirpassion wrote:Hi dev,
A bit of mental training work will do wonders. Believe me!
Will catch up when I am next time in Delhi. I used to live in Tagore Garden for 5 years when I was stationed there. 5 months in France and 7 months in India, maybe 2 months or so in Delhi, the rest being tours all over India.
best regards
tirpassion
Hi,

I look forward to your visit and shall pm you my number. Hope you will be able to check my posture and dig out the key errors. Think Guruji is also due for a visit around then. Have begun doing some holding and dry firing. Shot some twenty five or so shots yesterday. Can clearly see what lack of practice has done. :twisted:

Warm Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:52 pm

Hello Jitu
kindly answer the following questions;
1. How many years has the fellow who has advised you been himself shooting?
2. What has been his average performance?
Best Regards

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:35 pm

kindly answer the following questions;
1. How many years has the fellow who has advised you been himself shooting?
2. What has been his average performance?
Those are great questions Guruji. My first reaction was a smile on my face having realized the facts around me. In my case the answer is 'Many many years' to the 1st question and 'Mediocre to very mediocre' to the second.

Dear Jitu,
Please do not listen to anyone around you who do not fit the 'Satisfactory conditions' of the answers to the above questions. Please take my word. The method we are following in this thread is the MOST EFFECTIVE I have ever known because it helps you to discover yourself; there are so many facets in you which you are not even aware of. The pleasure is this particular and gradual revelation of your own self.

best regards
tirpassion

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:13 pm

ok gr8 gurus.
Correction Jitu,
To my knowledge, there is only ONE Guru here and the rest of us are 'Chela's.

best regards
tirpassion

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:38 pm

Friends,
As far as I am concerned, we are all chellas of the one and only Great Guru, who gives us all that we want. All that He asks of us all, is to be Pure in heart, in all our dealings, with others but mostly with our ownselves.
BR

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:01 pm

Guruji,
Whatever you said resumes who you are. We bow in front of you and request you to accept our Pranam.
best regards
tirpassion

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:26 am

for a beginner like me everyone is a guru. anyway i did not take the fellows advise and have come to u for the same. i am continuing my usual prac.
jitu

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:01 am

jitu sati wrote:for a beginner like me everyone is a guru. anyway i did not take the fellows advise and have come to u for the same. i am continuing my usual prac.
jitu
Jitu, my friend,
You still havent answered my questions? :D
Believe me it is important for all the forum members.
Best Regards

amarinder
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Mental Training for Sports & General Life.

Post by amarinder » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:31 pm

Dev sir ,

I want to buy a IZH Baikal 46 m . I dont know where i can buy this gun .
I live in chandigarh . Do you know any nearest dealer of this gun ? Please guide

Thanks in advance
Amarinder singh sandhu
"There is no such thing as difficult, Only the man himself is weak"- Amarinder

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:20 pm

the fellow who advised has been shooting for 4 yrs and has participated in nationals thrice. average performance is 565. has shot 570 plus.u may be knowing him . as he knows u. name is puneet sharma. he is a shooter from raj
jitu

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:02 pm

Dear Jitu,

I sincerely hope that you are not annoyed. My deep respects and salutes to Mr Sharma who gave you the instructions. I admit that he has a high level.

The instructor/coach, I followed for the longest period of time in France is a member of the French National team since 2 years. His highest score is 582/600 and I have hardly seen him scoring less than 575/600. I have great admirations for him even more because he was a Right handed shooter and after problems of the right shoulder changed himself to a left handed shooter and still reached the zenith. I always address him as 'Master' as to all who has shown / taught me anything in shooting.

Inspite of everything, I could not improve myself (I stress on this word MYSELF and not my shooting) because the method taught never gave me a chance to explore and discover myself. It was a lot of technical exercise. Exercise A will improve your 'follow through' or exercise B is to work on the 'Trigger control' and so on.
But I am curious to know why I should do this or that exercise and how it will work. I found these exercises to be very nice, yes, but they were always superficial remedies. Like if you have headache, take paracetamol. But I I am curious to know why I have headache and I prefer to eradicate the headache from the roots.
The method I follow now courtesy hvj, suits me much better rather the best because I am taking pleasure to explore myself. I am being able to answer my long lasting unanswered questions all by myself. What more can I expect?

Listen to your own self Jitu. Get your focus fixed. You need to feel rather than merely know. Then follow your conviction and more importantly stick to it.

My sincere regards
tirpassion

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:14 pm

Jitu,
Before recommending a training programme or method, it is important to know the level of proficiency of the shooter. If one has a mere headache, then is Brain surgery the immediate option? No. A simple tablet will do. Similarly, while giving advice to novices, a trg. programme for an experienced shooter is not recommended. In your case shooting 15 days continiously will only cause your errors (not identified by you) to multiply at a higher scale.
Therefore shoot 3 sessions, analyse, identify your errors and conduct Box drills to eliminate ONE error completely. Then move on next to the next shoot of 3 back to back sessions, repeat all over again.
Your strategy for the match should be to concentrate on the Box drills DURING THE MATCH to eliminate an identified error. This is what you should do at your level.
Shooting continiously, will get you stuck onto scores.
Hope this has been helpfull.
Best Regards

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:46 am

Hello hvj,

Sir, I have timed the steps of the SOA last Monday after a SA box drill (98% in 50 holds).
A friend got it done in his manner because he followed the distinct gestures. He did it for 13 shots one after another. The result is a complex one. I was surprised to see the variations from one shot to another. This is how it looked like in a nutshell.
1. I send the card: 3.3 to 3.9 secs (Lowest: 2.9 sec & highest 4.1 sec)
2. Trigger squeeze felt (eyes closed): 5.7 to 8.1 secs (Lowest: 5.4 sec & highest: 8.3 secs)
3. Pistol loaded, 1 small & 1 long breath (eyes closed), internal check and breath out: A lot of variation from 12.2 sec to 17.7 sec. The highest is 20.2 secs
4. Hip lock, grip check by lifting a bit, turning the head, trigger finger placement check (eyes closed), wrist lock, lift begins: 3.7 to 6.5 secs (Lowest: 2.8 secs & highest: 15.6 secs!!!)
5. Arrival, half breath out and SA fixation in the Aim zone (1st trigger pull already executed): 7 to 9.9 secs (Lowest: 3.2 secs & highest: 11.7 secs). There I am perplexed. There are 2 more with 4 & 4.4 secs in the lower side.
6. The shot breaks: 2.2 to 3.6 secs (Lowest: 2.1 secs & highest: 5.4 secs). There were 5 shots in the 2.1 to 2.4 sec range. It seems too fast.
7. Follow through, call and descent: 2.4 to 3.7 secs (Lowest: 2.1 secs & highest: 4.7 secs)
8. Bring the card back, check & analysis: 3.5 to 4.7 secs.

The whole shot cycle from sending the card to bringing it back was between: 46.6 secs to 55 secs

Today, I did again a SA drill (100%) and a SOA drill of 40 shots (95%). All the 40 shots were executed in 40 minutes in total. No breaks taken because I did not feel the need. I felt fresh all through. Shot quite well overall and did not count as usual. I feel that I need to work more on the precise call.

I plan to get the SOA timed again by the same person. What do you suggest me as the next step?

best regards
tirpassion

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:48 pm

hvj sir ur advice being followed totally. will carry out the 3 back to back sessions and come back for advice on the faults noticed.
wow tirpassion it is really an eye opener that each step of the SOA is being timed. i will try to get it timed too.
presntly my SOA is as under
1. send the card
2. cock the IZH and load the pellet.
3. take one deep breath and let go to identify if any muscle gp is strained and relax.
4. take a deep breath . chk for grip and finger on the trigger and turn head
5. let go off the breath and lift the butt and get hip lock and wrist lock. first pull on trigger completed
6. lift while taking a breathjust above the aiming area.
7. half exale while bringing down. SA fixation in aiming area and start of the second pull on the trigger
8. shot breaks and follow through. am yet to start calling my shots
9. descent andbring the card back.
chk and analyse
hey hvj i am literally doing the breathing on a mantra. it helps me to keep the breaths and time standardised.
is the SOA ok. tell me. then i will get it timed and come back with the complete timing
jitu