Tips on Pistol Shooting

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by hvj1 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:25 pm

AGN
Something that most shooters (pistol) commonly do; is to take your position, once you are satisfied with it, then trace out your footprint on the floor with a chalk or lead pencil.
Lets organise a training session at B'wadi, I'll come down from Satara, co-ordinate with other like minded shooters (IFGians or otherwise).
Regards

For Advertising mail webmaster
airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:12 pm

hvj1 wrote:AGN
Something that most shooters (pistol) commonly do; is to take your position, once you are satisfied with it, then trace out your footprint on the floor with a chalk or lead pencil.
Lets organise a training session at B'wadi, I'll come down from Satara, co-ordinate with other like minded shooters (IFGians or otherwise).
Regards
That would be great, guruji ! I will sound others out. Would one day Sat or Sun session suffice or shall we spread out over both the days of the weekend ? Shall we keep it for Air Pistol/ Air Rifle or just the Air Pistol ? Once you give a couple of dates convenient for you, will check with Vishwajeet/ NK007 to help out in reservations. Yippeee !!!

Your tip springs up a (sorta stupid) Qn for me - Can I really mark my foot position on the floor at the time of competition also ?
I mean I have seen some people do it at MRA, but when I inquired about it, I was frowned at. :? I have also noticed many air rifle shooters spread out a measuring tape on the floor.

BTW, an update from my side. Today paid the range a visit, just after a day. Again, sat down and closed my eyes and went through the SOA and also sorta visualized how the shoot would (rather than should) proceed. Decided to use the AP as is and not alter any sights since they were adjusted for H&N Excite Econ. Used the cylinder pumped to 200+ bars. So expected initial shots to go awry.

Yet, first set of 40 shots on a single card revealed 4 tight groups (<1") all (probably) depending on foot position which I deliberately changed after every 10 shots. BUT they were all primarily inside the #9 circle with one group spreading into #8 on the right and the other into #8 on the left. Also used MS (Y) in the first session.

Now the next set of 40 shots were fired on another card - this time used H&N (EE) and foot position was kept conscientiously constant. Most of the shots now grouped inside the #9 ring. A few did venture out into #8 - but did not expect that consistency since I presumed I would get tired.

But the observation was that I wasn't tired out plus eye focus stayed the same. So what I thought was physical deterioration day before, was in fact simply out lapse in muscle memory. I simply "managed" to pick up from day before. Am I right here ? So overall I rated today as a wonderful day out! :-)

regs
A.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:58 pm

Just one morning, with veg. lunch thrown in at SADA- ANAND.

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:27 pm

hvj1,

Thanks a ton. Let us know how we can help in making this happen ?

M.

AGN,

Marking on floor not allowed but placing objects is, you must have seen the AR shooters placing rulers for foot placement.

M.

airgun_novice wrote:
Regards
That would be great, guruji ! I will sound others out. Would one day Sat or Sun session suffice or shall we spread out over both the days of the weekend ? Shall we keep it for Air Pistol/ Air Rifle or just the Air Pistol ? Once you give a couple of dates convenient for you, will check with Vishwajeet/ NK007 to help out in reservations. Yippeee !!!

Your tip springs up a (sorta stupid) Qn for me - Can I really mark my foot position on the floor at the time of competition also ?
I mean I have seen some people do it at MRA, but when I inquired about it, I was frowned at. :? I have also noticed many air rifle shooters spread out a measuring tape on the floor.

BTW, an update from my side. Today paid the range a visit, just after a day. Again, sat down and closed my eyes and went through the SOA and also sorta visualized how the shoot would (rather than should) proceed. Decided to use the AP as is and not alter any sights since they were adjusted for H&N Excite Econ. Used the cylinder pumped to 200+ bars. So expected initial shots to go awry.

Yet, first set of 40 shots on a single card revealed 4 tight groups (<1") all (probably) depending on foot position which I deliberately changed after every 10 shots. BUT they were all primarily inside the #9 circle with one group spreading into #8 on the right and the other into #8 on the left. Also used MS (Y) in the first session.

Now the next set of 40 shots were fired on another card - this time used H&N (EE) and foot position was kept conscientiously constant. Most of the shots now grouped inside the #9 ring. A few did venture out into #8 - but did not expect that consistency since I presumed I would get tired.

But the observation was that I wasn't tired out plus eye focus stayed the same. So what I thought was physical deterioration day before, was in fact simply out lapse in muscle memory. I simply "managed" to pick up from day before. Am I right here ? So overall I rated today as a wonderful day out! :-)

regs
A.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:31 pm

Dear Guruji, dear friends,
I am sorry for my long absence and long silence. Sometimes there are some events in life that make you numb, plunges into a situation of 'feel like doing nothing...'. Well, I am trying to break out of that state and am back amongst you.

I am really curious to know if the below mentioned event took place. If yes, please share some experience or even some light moments which you would have shared.

Regards
I am happy to notice also that I just missed only 2 pages on TOPS since my absence :) . So it is easier for me to catch up.

I have also started my training day before yesterday after about 2 months. It was difficult, difficult, very difficult. All my muscles were constantly refusing to cooperate with me. I could only manage 30 figure of 8's and 48 live shots. It was obviously after a full session of warm-up. I will be in the range again today to increase the figure 8s to 40 at least.
The aim of this message is to tell you that I am back to basics to pave the path of my return to the sport. The physical training (although restricted only to jogging for the time being) is on.

Please carry on with the good work.

best regards
tirpassion

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:40 am

Hi tirpassion,
> Hey! good to hear from you after a long hiatus :D
:cheers:
Briha

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:16 am

Dear Tirpassion et al,

Welcome back to the forum. Hope all's well at your end and status quo is maintained. Also hope that your wrist is healed and recovered. After speaking with hvj1, it was decided that the event be tentatively scheduled for April or thereabouts to enable all the erstwhile X, XII, College students etc. to participate. So if you are going to be here then, do join in.

Getting off shots every now and then. Participated in our Club tournament; ended up with 4 shots in whites - 3 in #6 and one in #4, all due to loss in concentration. Think ended up 5th with 338. This follows new introduction - removed the blade and am using only the ramp for foresight. Plus re-shifted to right eye. Settling down with the new stunts. :-) Ended up being better among the rarefied bunch of Open Sight AR shooters at the Club. Did not have a chance to "settle in" the Pegasus post power plant change, but guess was lucky to get that top spot with 189. Now awfully busy till second week of April, else all OK.

regs
A.

pratik_mahale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pratik_mahale » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:32 am

airgun_novice wrote: Ended up being better among the rarefied bunch of Open Sight AR shooters at the Club. Did not have a chance to "settle in" the Pegasus post power plant change, but guess was lucky to get that top spot with 189.

You are doing very well in AP but special congratulations for your achievement in AR shooting

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:41 pm

pratik_mahale wrote:
airgun_novice wrote: Ended up being better among the rarefied bunch of Open Sight AR shooters at the Club. Did not have a chance to "settle in" the Pegasus post power plant change, but guess was lucky to get that top spot with 189.
You are doing very well in AP but special congratulations for your achievement in AR shooting
AGN,
> Congrats!
> Welcome to the world of AR shooters :cheering:
Briha

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:59 pm

Dear pratik_mahale/ Brihji,
Many thanks for the kind words. I was indeed lucky that IFGians slingshot and pratik_mahale stayed away from the Club tournament. ;-) Those two and a couple of more would have seen me gasping. ROTFL

Dear all,
Had a better day at the range today. Shot 100 H&N (FM) at 5 cards - 20 apiece - kept 65/100 inside the #9 ring with only 2 shots each going into #7 and #6. The last two sorta were a dampener, but am quite pleased overall. Think will repeat the exercise tomorrow or the day after.

regs,
A.

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:35 pm

Dear friends,
I am in Kolkata again since today morning. Status quo as agn bhai said ...

Best regards
Tir passion

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:22 pm

Welcome back Tir, obviously without you around, TIPs cannot move any further than two pages...That it has is indeed a surprise to me since I have also gone AWOL.
Regards to all

atulgupta1
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by atulgupta1 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:33 am

Need a copy of NTP file. If anyone has it, please email it to me at - [email protected]

Thanks in advance

Atul

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:23 pm

Dear Sir, dear all,

I have recently bought this weapon second hand just for fun.
DSCF6967.JPG
DSCF6964.JPG
DSCF6966.JPG
I have already shot 250 odd bullets through it. Goodness Lord!!! It turned out to be a damn accurate weapon. And hence, I have decided to shoot competitions with it just for the sake of fun. It does not have any anatomic grip but who cares anyway?
I have already started with the 25m pistol (the typically ladies' event: 30 shots precision and 30 shots rapid fire 3 x 7). Well, in France, we do not discriminate between ladies and gentlemen :lol: :lol: :lol: . Men shoot 25m pistol and women shoot the 50m free pistol equally.

The weapon is just nice; adjustable trigger, adjustable sights, 210mm sight radius, 150mm barrel. All it's specifications satisfy the weapon control criteria of 25m pistol. So here I go on a new path.

BTW, I have slowly, steadily and silently started my training sessions since my return to France on 19th march. Physical training, lot of figure 8 exercise and few live shots.
Shot one match of 50m free pistol today (local club competition). 517/600 (85, 86, 83, 85, 86, 92). It was my second day of live shooting with the Free Pistol this year.

Let us revive the topic again!!!

best regards
tirpassion
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:46 am

hell guys
have been out of circuit initially due to heavy office commitments and then because my wife underwent a surgery. she is presently on bedrest and i am managing everything food, tiffins etc. hvj and tir i am extremely sorry that when u were in town i just could not get out of my office due to some important events and proclivity of some upper lot for conferences and meetings. hopefully u will visit pune again and we shall meet. hvj if u r in pune some time i will be able to invite u home and meet u, as leaving the house is presently not feasible due to my wifes treatment. but do let me know and we can meet at my house . i have just recd the pump back after repairs from capapie and took my first shoot after many months. shot four sets 85,86, 87, 85. so all is not lost. hopefully u will be able to visit me some day and chk out my stance and the grip of my ap
jitu