Tips on Pistol Shooting

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Mental Training for Sports & General Life.

Post by tirpassion » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:12 pm

A warm hello to Guruji and all friends,

Having studied the posts in this thread for some time now, I dare to write a note.

Our 'desires' are normally born from our physical, emotional/sentimental/mental, material capacities but the obstacles we face to concretise our desires are barriers created by our incapacities be it physical, emotional/sentimental/mental, and material. Sometimes they are self imposed unknowingly. So we need to elevate ourselves to overcome the problems.
Here, I find another element which comes up as a big obstacle; HOPE which disturbs enomously the DESIRE.
Hope is born out of fantasy, if I may say so, which has nothing to do with our capacity, hence there is no place for it in our sport. Should we not eliminate it first of all before even thinking of our desire?
I feel that many of us suffer from the disease of Hope and do not analyze correctly our Desire. If we can analyze and then define our DESIRE by eliminating all Hope, the fuel to feed the fire will be easier to find.

Your comments please!

tirpassion

For Advertising mail webmaster
jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by jitu sati » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:35 am

honestly speaking i havent been that regular with the diary. but i will try this new ex of cutting the 9 ring out. let me see if helps me to concentrate on the SA without being very much bothered about the score
jitu

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:04 pm

Dear Jitu,
Please write down in your diary what you write on the post. Just one remark; 'I will try..' (it may be anything) is already a negative thought which you should never write in your diary. You should rather write 'I WILL...'
I WILL ACHIEVE 90% SA next day or MORE. Read this before and go for it. Get your mental part stronger. Remember that writing the diary is a regular mental training.
We need Physical, Technical and Mental training to perform correctly. All these three aspects should be given equal importance.

best regards
tirpassion

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:54 am

point taken sir. will regularly write the diary from today for shooting. by the way i tried the cutting 9 ring. in 20 shots i took i hit 3 on the card. so it was surely helpfull in making me aim better and SA improved. but will need to take the whole effort more seriously and at the same time enjoy it or else it may make me feel bored . in my assessment my biggest problem is my wrist lock which starts fluctuating when my arm starts dropping into the aiming area. but last 3/4 days i feel i am on the way of sorting this problem out. so next week i am sure i will show some improvement
jitu

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:02 pm

That's positive and nice Jitu! Carry on the good work!

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:01 am

tirpassion
it is gurujis guidance and suggestions from experienced shooters like you which help fledging shooters to improve. one has to take it positively. afterall this is my only support system for learning new things.so infact it is not being just positive but being indebted to you all
jitu

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:54 am

thankfully the SA is improving and i am sure it take care of the score. have started regularly writing my shooting diary. i am sure it will help. generally take one shoot in the week. hope it will be ok. rest of the day is tech trg and physical trg as directed by guruji. hey tirpassion do you your SA ex with live fire. because in your posts you invariably say i did not count the score. pl throw some light on how you train on SA
jitu

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:57 pm

how does one eliminate hope. would it not make us negative. just a doubt. gurujano pl answer
jitu

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:37 pm

Dear Jitu,
It is nice to see you more confident. The positive waves are doing their job.
I do the SA drill, as suggested by Guruji, by just holding the AP without any live fire. The job is to see the perfect sharp SA image for about 10 seconds on the backdrop of a blank target. I do it even at home on an adapted small sized card according to the distance. Lock your wrist well, command yourself to and foresee the perfect SA image before/when you lift the gun. This is also a mental training. Self talking and pre-visualization.
I have started to work on the same as a box drill during live shooting also on comp target. But I would suggest you to achieve 100% hold first on blank target. This is like surpassing a barrier. Believe me, once you achieve it, your confidence will definitely go high.

best regards
tirpassion

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:58 am

hey tirpassion
thanks for clearing this doubt. but i have one more doubt. i have been doing fig 8s regularly but i do sincerely hope i am doing them the way they should be done. can you throw some light on how exactly do you do your fig 8s. the doubt may seem very silly but i really need to ask
jitu

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:04 pm

Dear Jitu,
hvj1 guruji has clarified "8" against my similar doubt earlier. I was mighty confused too. Plus later he also answered why vertical "8" and not "infinity".

Guruji et al,
I have re-started my practice from beginning since there was a long gap. Holding, SA etc. Will also start writing a diary. At the same time thinking of running a 40 shot sequence every time I am at the range. At home, plan to run a 10 shot or 20 shot sequence incorporated into the SA and holding, e.g. 5 min SA & holding followed by 1 shot. Thus I shall also run 10 shots in 50 min. What do you think ?

Last Saturday visited the range after a long time for practice. I think it might the first time at range for practice this year. Nothing great to report - no great a form but steadied around mid-80s rather immediately - 86, 82, 85, 89. Then took a long 15 min break and decided to go for 1 more card after analyzing the four. Shot 92.

It was only that night I remembered tirpassion's tip about 8shots*5cards and almost kicked myself. Should have tried that since I did go down once again in the second set. Well,next time.
==
O Shea (character): Guns make you nervous ?
Charles Bronson: Guns or the users ? Idiots with guns make me nervous.
(Death Wish V)

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:18 pm

I have not been able to do the Fig '8' exercice more than 4 times a week and 40 reps each time. Earlier I used to do 50 reps. Lethargy is to blame surely. It has come down since my visit to India where I did not do it at all on the pretext of not having my AP with me.
What I am doing now in the range is 40 reps of '8' first followed by 40 to 60 live shots with box drills surely.
From now on, I will have to reduce the AP practice at the range because the Muzzleloader season is approaching and I will go for the 50m free pistol this year with a friend's gun.
I go to the range four times a week at least and for 2 hours per session. I have a privilege of living just at 5 minutes of walking distance from my club.

warm regards
tirpassion

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:31 pm

I will just add one more thing. Since some time now, DURING LIVE SHOOTING, I ALWAYS DO A BOX DRILL, be it during practice session or even during a match. It gives me satisfaction of achieving a certain %. I am of the opinion that NOT A SINGLE PELLET SHOULD BE SHOT WITHOUT GATHERING ANY POSITIVE INFORMATION FROM IT.

Enjoy!
tirpassion

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:30 am

absolutely agreed to tirpassion. yesterday it suddenly dawned on me that while taking the shot my wrist tends to lock upwards in an involuntary motion invariably taking the shot into the 8 ring above. with effort and conscious commands to my mind i was able to prevent it atleast some times during the 10 shots i took yesterday and invariably they were better shots that the balance. yesterdays sequence made me realise how acutely aware of every action in the shooting sequence one needs to be. you are right, every shot counts. diary writing is certainly helping . thank you
jitu

phunter
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by phunter » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:18 am

This one pretty much sums it up all... a real life example.
http://www.rediff.com/cricket/slide-sho ... 120229.htm

Kohli admitted he did not think a lot about this game, as he was feeling mentally tired and sad.

"To be honest, it's mentally very tiring. If you are winning, you can stay for five months. When you are not doing well, it's difficult to hold yourself mentally. Physically, it's not that difficult because you have breaks. But to hold yourself mentally is the biggest challenge for a cricketer.

"I wouldn't say I wasn't feeling mentally tired and mentally sad sometimes. But there is no running away from it. Sometimes, if you are not playing well, if you are committing same mistake, you tend to go into a shell, which is really difficult to come out. You need to take that extra like we did today to come out of that shell. I am feeling less tired now," he said.