Tips on Pistol Shooting

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by airgun_novice » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:54 am

An apt parable guruji - will store it in my mule and keep mulling over it. :-)
==
O Shea (character): Guns make you nervous ?
Charles Bronson: Guns or the users ? Idiots with guns make me nervous.
(Death Wish V)

For Advertising mail webmaster
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:07 pm

Wow, teaching through parables, that also in saddi shooting realm. Toofu kabool karo sarji :-).
Jokes aside your story has really cleared up a load of darkness.
Thank you.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:45 pm

gurujithats a gr8 parable. need to trust my mule more. but i guess that will first of require me to concentrate fully on box drills. some how i still havent mastered this. may be thats why my SA% suffers with each small break
jitu

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:20 pm

Dear all,
I just connected to internet after breakfast and what a lesson to start the day! Thanks a million Guruji!

For your information, I did two call drills yesterday with a lot more of concentration and the MONK overruled the MULE. Better percentage (55% & 65%) but worse results for sure. I am understanding in a better way.

sincere regards
tirpassion

gypsy
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by gypsy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:32 pm

Wow, so much to learn here and not just the hard technical skills but the mental ones too, which I believe are as important if not more in sports like shooting. Thanks.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:51 pm

Thanks all.

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:55 am

thankfully the SA% is slowly coming back on track. but guruji can you throw some light on why the % is dropping so much even by a slight gap in practice. am i doing something wrong
jitu

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:31 pm

Jitu,

I have seen that one declines faster than one advances. Just a week or so and its all downhill. But I guess you will be stuck at the bhayanak score as a base score when practice is missed. I haven't shot paper at a range for some weeks,lets hope no surprises are in store when I finally do. Think this sport is a very tough mistress, you can't spurn her ;-).
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:47 pm

Just went through the Men 10m AP qualifying sheet for Kumar Surinder currently in progress. A few Qs wrt terminology, technicality etc.

1. What does NMR/ EMR stand for ? It appears towards the end of every row.
2. Why did #136 Pawan Kumar shoot only one set ? It does not show DSQ at his row.
3. Subsequently #137 on (through 196) none seems to have shot as their all sets are "0" - Why ? Is it normal for 60 shooters to register for top class event and not show up ? If so, the no-shows are almost a third of total registration. :-(
==
(Death Wish V)

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:04 am

dev, my feelings exactly. she is very demanding too. but i will wait for some critical analysis from guruji about this drop in SA%
jitu

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:00 am

Hi Jitu
The drop in SA % in your case is more mental than anything else. Another reason for the drop is that, during your practice session, once you lift your pistol and find that the SA is not as good, you still continue the execution of the shot. Thereby giving your subconscious the message that what is happening is acceptable. instead, you should cancel, rest if required and then execute the shot only if your SA is good.
BR

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:55 pm

u may be right. let me see. this friday i have scheduled a complete 40 shot prac shoot. i will only take shots where i feel SA is correct. will let you know the result
jitu

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:03 am

guruji
here i am back with queries. i tried to take the complete shoot with focus on SA. the shoot went of well. however i have a query. (having taken the shoot and forced myself not to count) how do i know whether the shots which i think are with correct SA are really correct or not. can there be any rough scale by which one can judge this. (shots in 9 circle and above or something like this or just by the grouping)
jitu

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:23 pm

airgun_novice wrote:Just went through the Men 10m AP qualifying sheet for Kumar Surinder currently in progress. A few Qs wrt terminology, technicality etc.

1. What does NMR/ EMR stand for ? It appears towards the end of every row.
2. Why did #136 Pawan Kumar shoot only one set ? It does not show DSQ at his row.
3. Subsequently #137 on (through 196) none seems to have shot as their all sets are "0" - Why ? Is it normal for 60 shooters to register for top class event and not show up ? If so, the no-shows are almost a third of total registration. :-(
Guruji/ Anyone - any light ?
==
(Death Wish V)

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:57 am

here i am back with queries. i tried to take the complete shoot with focus on SA. the shoot went of well. however i have a query. (having taken the shoot and forced myself not to count) how do i know whether the shots which i think are with correct SA are really correct or not. can there be any rough scale by which one can judge this. (shots in 9 circle and above or something like this or just by the grouping)
Hi Jitu,
You can try out another method not to count. Take a competition target and cut out the '9' ring so that you can only see the impacts from the 8 ring downwards. You will be happy to send your pellets inside the hole but you will never know the score. You can, on the contrary see the bad shots 8, 7 and no more hopefully :D
As Guruji says, the SA drill should not go down drastically if you are absent for a week or so. Are you writing your diary regularly? Are you writing down what you should achieve on the next practice session (the % you should achieve for example)? If yes, do you read what you had written (as reminder) just before starting the practice session?
All these help to overcome the mental barrier.

best regards
tirpassion