Tips on Pistol Shooting

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by tirpassion » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:13 pm

Good work Jitu!!!

I got inspired again by the word 'Mantra'. I remember Guruji having told about his 'Mantra' earlier.

The perfection of the SA box drill exercise will help your follow through and hence to make your calls.
I prefer to think like a camera. The shot breaking being the shutter release and the perfect SA image the point of focus. The photograph taken is that of the unseen shot impact reflected by the 'call'.

Guruji, please correct and add on.

Thanks and warm regards
tirpassion

For Advertising mail webmaster
hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:14 am

Dear Jitu and Tirpassion,
Continue your work with SOA, keep timing it , for example you can hold a stop watch in your left hand and time the first step 4 - 5 times or more if you wish in one practice session. The next practice session, you can time the next step and so on. This will reduce your dependancy on sombeody else. However for timing your trigger break, now for that you do need the help of your friend because it may be difficult to time it yourself.
The next thing is that over a period of time, as your mind and body becomes more and more efficient, you will be able to streamline your SOA, such that you need less time. For this you need to keep working diligently, which I am quite sure you will.
BR

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:18 am

will try to time my SOA today. sticking to the advice of back to back shoots and then analysis and attempts to overcome the faults detected. only hitch is i do not feel qualified to analyse and detect my faults. so will have to come back to u for advice. am sure u will add on to my gyan with my further queries
jitu

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:41 pm

by the way guys, heres wishing u all a gr8 2012 and gr8 shooting

Please refrain from using sms speak Jitu and you will be a gr8 shot. :-) Mod

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:52 am

Okay at the risk of sounding like a total idiot, what is the criteria for calling a shot good during the box exercise?
Trigger squeeze happening without any movement of the pistol, perfect sight picture, thoughtless mind during the execution of SOA?
I am going back to the basics since the year is just beginning.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:34 pm

Hi dev,

This is what I think.
The image of your SA at the moment of the shot breaking in is what is most important in 'call'. This needs a perfect follow through. From the image of your SA (at the time of shot breaking) and it's position on the target in the backdrop (provided you have not had a trigger jerk) you should be able to tell precisely where your pellet has landed. This is the 'Call'.
You should then physically verify the impact and analyse. Even if your call is right or wrong, you should know why it is right or why it is wrong. This will help you to rectify an error (in case) or continue to do the same work if it was perfect for the next shot. In short, the call is a mental analysis of your shot execution (it is what you think you have done before looking at the target) to prepare the next shot after physical analysis (the reality of what you have done on the target). The mental and physical analysis should match. So it is not a GUESS.

Hope you are enjoying your daughter's company. My son was an angel! He started to sleep the whole night long from his 1st month :D . But I enjoyed the marvellous nightlong company of my daughter for about 8 months :wink: !!!
All I want to say is ENJOY!

best regards
tirpassion

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:45 am

Hi Tirpassion,

Thanks for explaining that. So we very the call while doing live fire eh? That makes sense, I am unable to do any practice at the moment due to the home being swamped with family. All that I can do at the moment is work on my physical fitness, jogging light weights. Hope to bring the rest together soon.
Can't even describe how much fun the little gal is, she normally sleeps pretty okay, unless she has colic. Thank you for the warm wishes.

Hope to meet when you come down.

Regards,

Dev

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:08 pm

hey dev
thanks for asking the question about calling the shot. it was bothering me too. it helped me clear a lot of cobwebs in my mind. had been out for some work. now restarting my practice. lets see how much i improve in this comp. last time i had shot a dismal 328. so really hope i am able to go better this time. but will try and do my box drill in the comp and concentrate on the SA rather than the score. as hvj has said the score should then take care of itself
jitu

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:35 pm

Just a dang cotton pickin moment...I thought you were a master of the box exercise Jitu :D .
Were you just impressing our master by saying that you were doing it? :-)
Go do a hundred shot match with your IZZy as a punishment. (Heh...heh...eliminate all competition I say or sabo their pistols :-). )

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:03 pm

hey dev
where did you get the impression that i had mastered the box ex. i have been stuck on 90% for some time. the score mentioned was in my last comp when i had restarted the shooting after the big break. but now have been doing better by prac what guruji has taught, but you are right i need to take some punishment for not improving for so long

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:18 am

Hello Guruji,
Hello everybody,

I have two questions.
- Why do we do the exercise of figure '8'? Why not 1, 2, 3 , 4 etc. Why particularly the '8'?
- Do you think that there is a time of adaptation for any new accessory of the weapon? I have changed my grip since three days now. I am lost. The new grip has nothing bad (I am being able to do excellent SA drill, the alignment is perfect) but things are not same as with the old grip. Is a confidence building time necessary or should I go back to the old one? I took a long time to adapt myself to the old grip on which I worked a lot.

best regards
tirpassion

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:41 am

interesting question sir. may be it is do something about the symmetry,which allows equal workout clockwise and anticlockwise in one smooth continuous mov no jumping of lines like the four. just a guess
jitu

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:05 am

"8" could help focus on a single point - see where the two circles "meet" and as Jitu said works clockwise-anticlockwise. Thus it helps to settle (zero) in quickly. Why not "8" rotated through 90 degrees i.e. *infinity* ? May be that shall work too.Similarly, a "spiral" which I have seen many of Vishwajeet Shinde's rifle students use on wall will help to "zero" in on the holding spot before the release. Am I right, guruji ?
==
O Shea (character): Guns make you nervous ?
Charles Bronson: Guns or the users ? Idiots with guns make me nervous.
(Death Wish V)

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:54 pm

hey hvj
took a shoot and concentrated totaly on the box drill. 85% only achieved. but that is because in the second set made a lot of mistakes. scores were 94, 89,92,92. i have been wondering what goes wrong in the second set. while taking the shoot i feel i may have stumbled on the answer.

when i take the first set and shoot well, ie first few shots, it spurs me to keep going. so theres is continous 10/12 shots in a go. i feel that my str and concenteration then lapses. the solution i feel is to take a manageable set as u had taught long ago. i feel comfortable with a set of 4 shots continous. i tried that in the third and fourth set and the SA improved. tomorrow will take a back to back second and will try this from the very first set. i am sure it will help. as they say guru always advises correctly. it is the student who forgets and is forced to learn through own experience that the guru was always right . let me see what happens tomorrow
jitu

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 am

hvj any comments. am i correctly judging my mistake or am off course
jitu