Tips on Pistol Shooting

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Mental Training for Sports & General Life.

Post by dev » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:50 am

jitu sati wrote:how does one eliminate hope. would it not make us negative. just a doubt. gurujano pl answer
jitu
I don't think we should eliminate hope. Otherwise how does one set a higher goal?
Maybe false hope as in when you haven't trained properly and then expect miracles.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

For Advertising mail webmaster
fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:09 pm

:agree:

M.

dev wrote:
jitu sati wrote:how does one eliminate hope. would it not make us negative. just a doubt. gurujano pl answer
jitu
I don't think we should eliminate hope. Otherwise how does one set a higher goal?
Maybe false hope as in when you haven't trained properly and then expect miracles.

Regards,

Dev
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:13 pm

Right Dev,

Hope means false Hope for me. It is also Expectation. A right hope is influenced by the Desire which in turn is fuelled by our capacities.
One should have hope but not during the operation/session. Hope will overcome the abilities by creating expectation.
That is what I think.

Setting a higher goal is a form of desire according to one's known capacities to search for the unknown ones. Is it born of hope?
For example, Should I set a goal of 580/600? For me it will be a fantasy. But, I do not disagree to a 560+ because I feel that I am capable. When I achieve it regularly, I will be aware of my 'upto then' unknown capabilities and set a higher goal.
What do you think?

best regards
tirpassion

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by tirpassion » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:55 pm

Dear friends and Guruji,

An update on my training. This might also help our fellow members for some ideas.

I have been working now on the box drill of '3 to 5 sec shot breaking'. I have been very strictly following the SOA and I have tracked the timings (not of each shot but a set of 7 shots). I am in the trial stage of a set of 7 shots and taking a break of a minute before going for another set of 7. Why 7 shots? It is because I tried 8 shots and found that it was a bit tiring at the end. Now I am at 7.

Yesterday, I did the drill of 6 x 7 shots = 42 total shots. For a change, i shot all of them on the same target. Here is what it looked like at the end with 42 impacts. I can not count the score, there is no 1st series, 2nd series etc. and I am still happy with the groupings. I find it also another way of not counting the score and still be satisfied. That is the reason, I thought of posting the image.
The time taken was 35 minutes with breaks which is a significant improvement. The cycle of 7 shots were executed in 4, 5.5 (2 cancellations), 4.5 (1 cancellation), 4, 5 (1 cancellation) & 4 minutes approx respectively = 27 minutes + 8 minutes of break without moving from the position. There were a total of 4 shot cancellations.
The percentage achieved was 98%.

I am feeling the Monk and Mule story for my SOA. I am also understanding the words of Guruji when he told that the shot cycle should be within 30 seconds. It looked impossible to me at first but seems to be achievable now. I am working Guruji. Thanks again.

best regards
tirpassion
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:37 pm

Just had a flash thinking about HOPE.
Hope is independent of our actions and ability. I can hope to win a lottery but I am unable to influence it anyway, I can hope that India wins gold medals everywhere but it does not depend on me, I can hope for a promotion but the final decision lies with my boss etc. etc.
But can I hope to do a big score? In that case it is my desire and not my hope. I can only act to fuel my desire, i can not HOPE for any other source to act for me or decide on my behalf. So where is the place for hope for me when everything I want to do can be and has to be done by myself, by elevating my level if needed?

best regards
tirpassion

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:29 pm

c'est tres magnifique!(Put la grave on that e and the cap on i for me, s'il vous plait ;-) )
==
O Shea (character): Guns make you nervous ?
Charles Bronson: Guns or the users ? Idiots with guns make me nervous.
(Death Wish V)

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:34 pm

C'est du joli Mr agn!
Quelle bonne surprise! Bravo!
Où avez-vous appris le français?

amicalement
tirpassion

Dear others, please do not get annoyed. We will not continue in French. I could not help but express my surprise.

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:18 am

i dont know what airgun novice said in french but it must mean magnificent as that is all we all can say after seeing the result. that is a great group. we are getting motivated daily so all the great ones please keep posting such stuff. just adds a bit of push to the efforts of all the novices
jitu

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:34 am

tirpassion wrote:C'est du joli Mr agn!
Quelle bonne surprise! Bravo!
Où avez-vous appris le français?

amicalement
tirpassion

Dear others, please do not get annoyed. We will not continue in French. I could not help but express my surprise.
Un peu. La langue douce. Quand j'ai a l'ecole je comprenu/ etudie pour/quelque trois ans (8-10 std.). Maintenant, ca toutes la memoire. :-(
A bit. Sweet Language. When I was in school I understood/ learnt for some 3 yr (8-10 std). Now it's only a memory. :-(
(The smiley has to be there)
Did I get that right ?
On the side, while I was at AZ, USA, worked at ST Micrelectronics for a while. Lots of Italians and a few French. One knew an Italian girl with whom one went French. ;-) (Better to speak in 3rd person, in case wife joins IFG at a later date... ROTFL )

Jitu - You got that one right. Card was superbly magnificient.
==
(Death Wish V)

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:27 am

I haven't shot at a target (pistol for a long time) but I do have an air rifle target that I shot at with the pistol at about 7 meters. I would like to scan it and put it up for your comments but your wizardry has gotten me a little worried.

Anyway in my attempt to keep the motivation up I shot at my visiting card (edge wise) at about ten feet. Was shocked when I hit the millimeter or so target. hee hee hee. Takes little things to please little minds. ROTFL

Regards,

Dev

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:55 pm

Dear Dev,
Can you go for a live shooting session once a week? You can keep on doing dry firing exercises at home and do only the live firing at the range. If you have the possibility to shoot live at home it is great. But do it always with a box drill. Track the timing also. But before all these, get your SOA fixed. It will help you to find a 'Mantra' which, with regular work will get impregnated in your sub conscious mind. Then the MONK will only have to keep the balance and let the MULE go on his own.

warm regards
tirpassion

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:03 pm

That was a nice shot agn! :wink:

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:37 pm

tirpassion wrote:That was a nice shot agn! :wink:
Dhanyawad. In fact thanks to you, I am now motivated to hunt out my old French dictionaire (Larouge or something such) and grammer book (Blackburn and Morris, I think)

Dev - howz the sweet little mind doing ? Still keeping ya awake ? :-) Isn't it wonderful when the Dad gets that special giggle and that angelic smile ? :D
==
(Death Wish V)

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:48 am

hey dev hitting such a small tgt is great. but i guess one needs to do one live shoot per week atleast. i will take mine today evening. lets see how much SA% i get
jitu

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:56 am

airgun_novice wrote:
tirpassion wrote:That was a nice shot agn! :wink:

Dev - howz the sweet little mind doing ? Still keeping ya awake ? :-) Isn't it wonderful when the Dad gets that special giggle and that angelic smile ? :D
You know how wonderful it is. She is settling into her sleep routine. She now smiles and also gurgles replies to my inane banter. Yep, she also chortles with glee at times. Thanks for asking. :D