Tips on Pistol Shooting

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by hvj1 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:18 pm

Hello Prashraj
If you are in a position to buy a Morini, then I will advise you to go for the morini. The reason is that one should always train on the very best equipment for best results. Secondly you are 35 years old, and I therefore assume that you are in a reasonably okay position from the financial point of view. I started competition shooting when i was 31 years old, in shooting mental maturity counts for a lot. So...

For Advertising mail webmaster
prashraj
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by prashraj » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:01 am

Hi hvj1,
Right now due to financial responsibilities, I am planning for IZH M46, after getting some confidence I will go for the best. Thanks for telling me when you have started, it has given me a tremendous confidence and something to talk about with coach in our district sports stadium. I am trying to meet him , as they have a shooting range in stadium.Thanks for replying.

prashraj
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by prashraj » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:30 am

Hello friends,
I have just met with a bottleneck, I went to meet the Mr.Veerpal , Shooting coach in Meerut sports stadium. He outrightly told me not to pursue this sport. When I persisted he told me to join private shooting clubs and advice me not to think about participating in competitions. He goes on to mock me by saying ' You are too late'. Now I am planning to visit private shooting club.Lets see if some positive happens there..

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:45 am

prashraj wrote:Hello friends,
I have just met with a bottleneck, I went to meet the Mr.Veerpal , Shooting coach in Meerut sports stadium. He outrightly told me not to pursue this sport. When I persisted he told me to join private shooting clubs and advice me not to think about participating in competitions. He goes on to mock me by saying ' You are too late'.
Hello Prashraj,
I should have warned you before, there are many fools who pose as coaches in India, almost 90 % of the so called coaches are not mentally nor technically competent to be coaches. People like above mentioned fellow manage to wrangle a coach's position in govt. establishments with an eye on monetary gains. A good coach will always ENCOURAGE an enthusiast to take up the sport regardless of age, which in your case is Okay. Also please read up my post on coaches, you will have to search through my posts, it is one of the earliest ones.
Also, if you encounter this dumbass again, ask him what he has achieved thus far in shooting apart from shooting off his mouth and proving how brainless he is.

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:50 pm

Dear prashraj,

Welcome to the forum, the TOPS and the "biradari". :-) Biradari of pistoleros and the 35+ "too-laters". LOL. Guruji (hvj1) is quite right and I have experienced a few of these in my own journey of past 3+ yr. But first I must confess two things, at the risk of sounding like an AA meet : I started with my AP well past 40yr of age and I ENJOY the sport and do it for my own sake. I have had many such advices pouring and the "well-wishers" also included near and dear ones. But my Mom who first taught me to shoot an AR when I was 10, simply said "Do it as long as you wish and stop when you think it's time to stop. Don't bother to think what others think." And that's it. However, it's equally true that in your pursuit of pure sport and pure joy these obstacles will matter, so do not get into wrong side or cater to personal ego issues. In case you have a space at home (hopefully, since you do not stay in Mumbai) that measures 2' X 35' to the wall and without cross-winds, then have a home range to prax in. Of course, observe all the safety rules and more. However you will still need to offer flowers to district/ state association and show them a diya and agarbatti from time to time in order to participate in competitions. So even if you opt for private range make sure that it's recognized by district/ state association / NRAI etc. Good Luck and good and safe shooting. :cheers:

And do not worry we are all strugglers in the field of shooting here on this thread but have solid hope that GOI will sponsor our trip to the "beaches" (no homophonic pun here) of Brazil in another two years. ;-)

regs
A.

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:59 pm

amarinder wrote: Thanks boss. I think your are right. May be I need to pay more attention the the process and not in the end result. I am reading the book The power of Now. May be,Its time follow it thoroghly, otherwise It will be too late.
Thanks to you Amarinder, I have ordered The Power of Now. Had heard of the book in the past but you provided the impetus to go for it. Flipkart has it for INR199. If possible try to get your hands on The Winning Habits by Bhishmaraj Bam.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:50 am

airgun_novice wrote: But my Mom who first taught me to shoot an AR when I was 10, simply said "Do it as long as you wish and stop when you think it's time to stop. Don't bother to think what others think." A.
:clap:

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:48 pm

Dear guruji, Thank you very much, Sir.

It is rather strange that Indians have this attitude of discouraging fellow others in every sphere. This I observed in practically every thing that I expressed my interest in. "Why do you want to ...?" This discussion is probably beyond the TOPS scope and might actually merit a discussion under mental training. My answer has thus been "Why not?".

Incidentally, my interaction and gain of knowledge on IFG has shaped my thinking and personality to a large extent. IFG and IFGians and fellow brothers-in-arms have helped me penetrate the veil (in fact the shroud) of ignorance that inhibits development of personality as a whole. I used to enjoy such illuminating discussions with my Dad and one of my Maternal Uncles, both of whom are now dead. You, upacharyaji and fellow brothers have filled in that void to large extent. I must have read that small booklet "Why do we have (or is it face) troubles in life?" 10 times and one fine day it struck me - "To solve a problem, first accept that there is a problem that needs to be solved." We Indians often go into denial and shift the blame on Fate & the System without having made enough attempts to accept that there is a problem and to surpass in the first place. I am no different, though I am changing... rather, evolving. The other aspect I realised is that we either overestimate or underestimate our potential, but never estimate or even draw a close educated guess of what we are capable. Why ? Are we so heavily programmed by centuries of servitude and complacency and lethargy that we mistake these attributes as gratification and satiation and thereby accept the "whatever" the fullest extent of our capacity ? We Indians are ever-so-ready to push the envelope just to get our job done; but never ready to push the bar to at least make the opposition sweat out their glory. Certain matches in boxing, weight-lifting, table tennis, badminton etc. at CWG 2014 were accute testimony to the now-dead/ dying killer instinct of the Indians. Winning medal - not THE gold medal - was the pathetic satisfaction. And surely why not ? The bronze still fetches a hefty INR20L, so why fight it out for the gold, albeit that would have fetched INR50L.

The first exception to this Indian sterotype that I came across has been upacharyaji, tirpassion, thanks to you, Guruji. I mean the guy has literally pushed the bar, be it steady and calibrated practice sessions, the daily walks and the runs, finger-tip push-ups, shooting with either hands (the Path of Savyasachi) and making it to the top in the French Nationals in his events. He is probably the only among us who has been able to differentiate and separate the Process from the Result and adhere to the Process. Definitely an inspiration worth emulating. :cheers: Jitu has this penchant of perseverance. He simply sticks to what he is doing in spite of getting bogged down for a while by the results, As he rightly says, "Lage raho". And dev has this unique ability to clinically act upon any problem with surgical precision and lay it all cut out bare, muscle by muscle. Amazing insight and analytical skill dev has. Then we have brihacharanji, the Wise Seer who is stirring readily every potion that the Time needs. What fantastic Wisdom brihji doles out from time to time. I would only be a fool if I weren't to enrich my personality and my skills, with what the guruji's TOPS has been churning out.

Thank you, guruji et al, for being there and for the TOPS and for being the "nimittamatra" towards developing me as a person and a shooter.

regs
A.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:26 pm

AGN
Wow! As usual your commentary is always food for thought and for me personally, each small step taken by each of you helps me to relive those very same moments. You cannot fathom how my heart swells with pride and my head bows in humility and I thank each one of you here for enrichening my life with every step you take.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:21 am

AGN wrote:
The first exception to this Indian sterotype that I came across has been upacharyaji, tirpassion, thanks to you, Guruji. I mean the guy has literally pushed the bar, be it steady and calibrated practice sessions, the daily walks and the runs, finger-tip push-ups, shooting with either hands (the Path of Savyasachi) and making it to the top in the French Nationals in his events. He is probably the only among us who has been able to differentiate and separate the Process from the Result and adhere to the Process. Definitely an inspiration worth emulating. :cheers: Jitu has this penchant of perseverance. He simply sticks to what he is doing in spite of getting bogged down for a while by the results, As he rightly says, "Lage raho". And dev has this unique ability to clinically act upon any problem with surgical precision and lay it all cut out bare, muscle by muscle. Amazing insight and analytical skill dev has. Then we have brihacharanji, the Wise Seer who is stirring readily every potion that the Time needs. What fantastic Wisdom brihji doles out from time to time. I would only be a fool if I weren't to enrich my personality and my skills, with what the guruji's TOPS has been churning out.

Thank you, guruji et al, for being there and for the TOPS and for being the "nimittamatra" towards developing me as a person and a shooter.

hvj1 wrote:
AGN
Wow! As usual your commentary is always food for thought and for me personally, each small step taken by each of you helps me to relive those very same moments. You cannot fathom how my heart swells with pride and my head bows in humility and I thank each one of you here for enriching my life with every step you take.

Guys!
> After going through the above I recalled this time tested quote....
" A teacher's influence affects eternity - No one knows where it stops"
> We all must thank hvj1 for starting the thread "TOP"....
> Congratulate tirpassion for his steadfast adherence to the principles & practice that has bestowed him the rewards...
> Acknowledge AGN for his humility & submission to the "Guru - Shishya Parampara" & the learnings...
> Jitu & Dev for sharing their experiences & analysis that has opened a new vista of understanding the TOP...
> I sincerely hope that this summarizes our collective thoughts....
:cheers:
Briha

prashraj
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by prashraj » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:01 pm

Hi,
I am speechless, these are one of the best post of this thread. Its good to know how good you guys are. I hope to earn your friendship in due time. These post realized me what is in these posts...hope you guys always be together and enjoy each other company for a life time. Happy to be here.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:12 pm

Dear Bros,

Agn-You make me blush. But what I would like to add that in this thread there is no acrimony. Under our guru's wisdom we are actually joined by a common struggle to reach another notch of performance. We(most of us are over 40, I am hanging on to the end of it) are struggling with issues that only the Indian shooter faces.
This year, my latest job switch is making training for the State Level competition very hard. So I might just try to lift a coke bottle whenever I remember. I haven't even had the time to renew my range membership and while my mentor has been requesting me to come to the range and practice with him(he's on the National team now); I am still unable to commit time.
I'm sure all the guys here understand my frustration. Yet, I have a desire to compete and hopefully will,the rest is up to my mule (please note mule not muse). ;-)
Cheers guys and welcome to the new kids on the block.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:21 pm

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:52 pm

Thanks AGN for sharing - The archaic language turned out to be a bit of a Damper :lol:
Briha

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:31 pm

brihacharan wrote:
Thanks AGN for sharing - The archaic language turned out to be a bit of a Damper :lol:
Briha
:agree: Gosh ! Brihji !!! Try reading the Hindi version - probably need the Enigma machine to decipher... :-) regs, A.