Tips on Pistol Shooting

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by hvj1 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:10 pm

Hi Jitu,
Since you are comfortable with a 4 shot sequence, go along with it and see the results.
BR

For Advertising mail webmaster
hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:45 pm

Hello Tirpassion,

I will try to make my answer as simple as possible;

1. Any movement is made by our body using muscles and nerves.

2. Muscles are of three types,

2.a Voluntary Muscles are those which we can command to move. These muscles move by the command given by our brain, which is relayed to the muscles, which carry out the desired movement.

2.b Voluntary muscles are called as Skeletal Muscles, since they are attached close to the bones and obviously use the bones in our body to pull or push.

2. c The other two types of muscles are 'involuntary muscles', meaning these muscles are controlled by the central nervous system (CNS).

2.d The two types of Involuntary muscles are

(i) Smooth muscles: Like in our intestines, stomach lining blood vessels etc, Their movement we are not much aware off.

(ii) Cardiac muscles.: Are basically muscles which are found in the heart.

We are however concerned with Voluntary muscles

3. Voluntary muscles, work in pairs; When one contracts the opposite set relaxes. For example flexing your biceps.

4. When we trace the 'S' of the fig. 8, all the necessary muscles, ENCASING OUR bones from the shoulder joint, elbow, wrist (major ones) are exercised alternatively in ONE PLANE ONLY.

5. When we reverse direction to complete the fig. 8, all the necessary muscles are exercise in pairs in the OPPOSITE PLANE.

6. Besides these major muscles, there are other muscles which perform supporting role, these are all the other muscles in our body which support the body and hold it rigid, while the fig. 8 exercise is on.

7.FINALLY: The ultimate objective is to hold the SA as steady as possible within the Aiming area That is why, ALL THE MUSCLES ENCASING the shoulder to hand, MUST BE EXERCISED. A complete exercise to ALL the muscle pairs can be done best through the fig.8.

Sincerely hope that I have been lucid. :D
Best Regards and Oh! Lovely question after a long long time.

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:49 pm

Dear hvj1 guruji, Is my understanding of importance of "8" right ?
==
O Shea (character): Guns make you nervous ?
Charles Bronson: Guns or the users ? Idiots with guns make me nervous.
(Death Wish V)

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:57 pm

[quote="airgun_novice Why not "8" rotated through 90 degrees i.e. *infinity* ?[/quote]
What you have stated, emphasises the lateral movement, which is not desired, conversely the vertical 8 is consistent with the lift of shooter.
BR

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:00 pm

Hello Tirpassion,
Regarding your second question, with your new grip, you feel the box drilling is good if not better and other elements have also improved, then I would suggest you persist with the new grip, HOWEVER, the litmus test is whether your trigger finger, moves better than the previous grip or at least as good.
BR

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:15 pm

Dear Sir,

That is the principal question. I need to review the trigger position because, I find it not to be as stable as earlier. I shot with the old grip yesterday and I was more confident with the trigger.
What I am having is more of frozen finger with the new grip.Perhaps a lack of confidence. But what is for sure is that the hold is impeccable and it does not move much in the hand for more than 9 shots at a stretch. This is an improvement compared to the older grip.

A big hello to all my friends on this forum. I will be boarding the flight for India in a few hours and I am happy about it. I am not carrying my AP finally because I do not want problems. The next time I write on this forum will be from my own soil.

So till then...

best regards
tirpassion

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:57 pm

hvj1 wrote:[quote="airgun_novice Why not "8" rotated through 90 degrees i.e. *infinity* ?
hvj1 wrote:What you have stated, emphasises the lateral movement, which is not desired, conversely the vertical 8 is consistent with the lift of shooter.
BR
OK I get it - dhanaywad. "8" continues then. :-)
==
O Shea (character): Guns make you nervous ?
Charles Bronson: Guns or the users ? Idiots with guns make me nervous.
(Death Wish V)

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:37 am

it is wonderful to know how much of science goes into each small drill that hvj advises. thank god for creating such people
jitu

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:57 pm

hey hvj
i am stumped. did the 4 shot sequence. the performance certainly improved. but the second set problem persists. the score was 93,87,92,93. am i psyching myself with this second set. what do u advise. should i take a shoot without the box drill, because while doing the box drill i automatically become aware that the second set has begun. pl advise
jitu

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:26 pm

Hi Jitu,
yes, you have created a mental block, but thankfully it is not a serious one and you will eventuallly get over it as thousands have before you. All you need to do is to accept the fact that your second set performance is below par, tell yourself that its not really so bad and eventually you will get over it. Then ignore it completely. Dont draw your attention again and again to it. Since all mental blocks feed on your negative energy when you FOCUSS undully on it. So move on,its really is minor.
BR

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:47 am

thank you hvj for giving me some support on this issue. i was feeling a bit lost. but let me try to stick to your advise. will try and take my mind off the second set. i will shoot in the comp on monday. should i take a shoot on friday/sat/sunday. or should i just do SA and fig 8s till the comp and then shoot directly on monday
jitu

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:21 pm

Hi Jitu,
Shoot the match format on all three days prior to Monday match, but you are advised the following;
1. Shoot your practice match in box drill format, with the objective of reaching your goal an new goals for each practice match.
2. Also do box drills for all the elements, SA, Smooth Trigger, etc, in addition, these sessions may be done at home, make sure that the lighting at home is good.
3. Aproach the match in the same manner as your practice matches, i.e. focus on box drilling
4. Please keep a watch on the table besides you in all your practice matches as well as your competition match. This way you will do some time training alongside.
5. During the morning of the match, get up and do as much box drilling as possible for all the elements without tiring yourself or overstraining your hands.
6. DO NOT SCORE IN PRACTICE MATCHES NOR THE COMPETITION.
All the very best.

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:32 am

sorry hvj
i have let you down. first of all i read your post today. i was over excited over taking part in my first ever comp.
following things went wrong. i must confess so please hear me out
1. i was hyper excited by the time i reached the range
2. shooters of various age groups including kids walked up to me and laughed at my IZH and asked me what i was doing with a Baba adam ke jamane ka ap
3. any way i did not pay much attention and got myself registered.
4. during the shoot i was sandwiched between two good shooters

jitu sati
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jitu sati » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:30 am

sorry entered incomplete data
5. my first shot was just 8. instead of concentrating on my own tgt i started looking at the neighbours. both hit two 10s
6. i panicked and started feeling inferior. next two shots were worse 8 and 7
7. i went and sat down on the chair behind to gather myself. came back and tried to concentrate on my SA. shot much better after that
8. but again got attracted to my neighbours tgt who was saying Yes when he scored a 10. next five to six shots went bad as i did not hit a single 10 and felt sheepish.
9. started looking over the sight for the score instead of concentrating on the SA. naturally the shoot went for a six
10. when i shot my fortieth card i realised that in my hurry to match the neighbours i had finished the shoot in 48min and for the balance time was left twiddling my thumbs
11. overall i learnt that i felt a lot of pressure and lost my concentration. my focus on SA% was only in phases and that too far apart. and overall i came back extremely upset with myself that i was not able to focus on basics as advised.
12. also i noticed one thing that my arm was shaking a lot. might be due to over excitement or due to insufficient fig8s. need to restart and refocus. need to shoot at the range where the comp is taking place atleast once before the comp. it took me 8 sighter shots to get my focus into the centre of the black and adjust to the new conditions.
13. overall i could get a meager score of 342 as per my count post match (during the long thumb twiddling time as i had finished off within 48min)
14 i feel whatever wrong i could do i did. but learnt a solid lesson about myself that my concentration needs to improve drastically and shooting is a fab sport for self analysis improvement
your comments pl
jitu

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:43 am

Isss wokay Jitu we all respect you :-). I did an equally stupid thing at the North Zone, shot glorious sixes, fives and fours in an attempt to shoot tens. Back to the drawing board eh? What was the name of the competition? Anyway it's a whole new year to train and compete in. Forget this match and move on.

Warm Regards,

Dev

p.s. Thought you bought an LP 10 some time ago?
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.