Ministry relaxes arms import provisions for shooters

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
m24
Veteran
Veteran

Ministry relaxes arms import provisions for shooters

Post by m24 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:36 pm

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spor ... 514835.cms

In what would come as a major boost for the country's top shooters preparing for this year's Commonwealth Games, the Sports Ministry has "liberalised" provisions for the import of weapons and cartridges for their training.

"The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports (MYAS) has liberalised and rationalised procedures for import of weapons and ammunition and resale of used weapons by renowned shooters," the ministry said in a statement.

"A Committee under Joint Secretary (Sports) examined the existing procedures and decided to liberalise them. The orders to this effect has been issued by the Ministry, yesterday."

Under the new guidelines, the No Objection Certificates required for an import license and the Custom Duty Exemption Certificates will no longer have to routed through the ministry.

"A renowned shooters may be allowed to approach the Regional Authority of Director General Foreign Trade (DGFT) directly after obtaining the recommendations of National Rifles Association of India.

"The present practice of MYAS issuing 'Custom Duty Exemption Certificate' may be dispensed with and a suitable provision may be made for automatic grant of custom duty exemption on the basis of self-certification by the renowned shooter along with the documentary evidence in respect of import of weapons/ammunition."

The Ministry also revised the quota of custom duty exempted ammunition for top shooters.

"15,000 cartridges per year (For renowned shooters participating in one event), 20,000 cartridges per year (For renowned shooters participating in two events) and 25,000 cartridges per year (For renowned shooters participating in more than two events)," the ministry said.

The Ministry said top shooters can now also import upto five custom duty exempted weapons.

"Renowned Shooters may be allowed to avail of Custom Duty exemption for only five weapons, at any point of time. In case, he holds more than five weapons, on which he has availed Custom Duty Exemption, the limit imposed thereafter of five weapons, will exclude the weapons that have completed the minimum usage time prescribed in the import licence.

"As such, import of weapons beyond the limit of five weapons shall not be eligible for Custom Duty Exemption. Further the overall ceiling imposed by the Ministry of Home Affairs on holding of weapons will apply," the statement said.

Besides, the shooters will also be allowed to sell their used weapons but only after five years of acquiring them.

"The present practice of prior approval may be dispensed with, and the Renowned Shooter may be allowed, to sell the weapons once he/she meets the minimum duration of use condition i.e. five years in the case of Renowned Shooter, and three years in the case of a Shooter who qualifies as a Renowned Shooter, for three consecutive years", it said.

"The Renowned Shooter may be allowed to sell the weapons to any shooter, who is a valid license holder, registered with District/State/National Rifle Association," the ministry statement said.

The Ministry said the guidelines have been revised after taking the feedback of top shooters.

"The Ministry has examined this issue after receipt of representations from the renowned Shooters that the existing procedure for import of arms and ammunition is very time consuming and causes escalation of cost of import, as well as shortages of weapons/ammunition and thereby, adversely affect the training and practice regime.

"Furthermore, the guidelines for resale of weapons imported by Renowned Shooters is unduly restrictive and hampers the development of sports," it said.

PS: Before we start to celebrate, please note that the same needs to be approved by MHA and DGFT

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

For Advertising mail webmaster
badcheetah
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

liberalised procedures 4 import of weapons & amunitions

Post by badcheetah » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 pm

Sports Ministry liberalised and rationalised procedures for import of weapons and ammunition and resale of used weapons by renowned shooters

The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports (MYAS) has liberalised and rationalised procedures for import of weapons and ammunition and resale of used weapons by renowned shooters. A Committee under Joint Secretary (Sports) has examined the existing procedures and decided to liberalise the procedure. The orders to this effect has been issued by the Ministry, yesterday.

The revised procedure for (i) import of weapons and ammunition by renowned shooters; and (ii) guidelines for resale of used weapons by renowned shooters are as under:

a) NOC for import Licence and Custom Duty Exemption Certificate:

The present practice of routing import license applications through MYAS may be dispensed with a renowned shooters may be allowed to approach the Regional Authority of DGFT directly after obtaining the recommendations of NRAI.

b) Custom Duty Exemption:

The present practice of MYAS issuing ‘Custom Duty Exemption Certificate’ may be dispensed with and a suitable provision may be made for automatic grant of custom duty exemption on the basis of self-certification by the renowned shooter along with the documentary evidence in respect of import of weapons/ammunition.

c) Ceiling on quantity import of ammunition by renowned shooter:

As some renowned shooters may participate in two or more events, higher quota for import of ammunition with custom duty exemption may be provided as under:-

15,000 cartridges per year
For renowned shooters participating in one event

20,000 cartridges per year
For renowned shooters participating in two events

25,000 cartridges per year
For renowned shooters participating in more than two events

d) The number of weapons on which custom duty exemption can be availed:

Renowned Shooters may be allowed to avail of Custom Duty exemption for only five weapons, at any point of time. In case, he holds more than five weapons, on which he has availed Custom Duty Exemption, the limit imposed thereafter of five weapons, will exclude the weapons that have completed the minimum usage time prescribed in the import licence. As such, import of weapons beyond the limit of five weapons shall not be eligible for Custom Duty Exemption. Further the overall ceiling imposed by the Ministry of Home Affairs on holding of weapons will apply.

e) Disposal of weapons by renowned shooter :

The present practice of prior approval may be dispensed with, and the Renowned Shooter may be allowed, to sell the weapons once he/she meets the minimum duration of use condition i.e. 5 years in the case of Renowned Shooter, and 3 years in the case of a Shooter who qualifies as a Renowned Shooter, for three consecutive years. The Renowned Shooter may be allowed to sell the weapons to any shooter, who is a valid license holder, an registered with District/State/National Rifle Association.

f) Filing of Returns :

Every ‘Renowned Shooter’ having weapons and ammunitions, shall submit an Annual Return, in the prescribed format, to Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports through National Rifle Association of India (NRAI)

g) NRAI shall submit a quarterly statement in the prescribed format, on the recommendations made during the quarter and cumulative recommendations made during the calendar year to Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.

The Ministry has examined this issue after receipt of representations from the renowned Shooters that the existing procedure for import of arms and ammunition is very time consuming and causes escalation of cost of import, as well as shortages of weapons/ammunition and thereby, adversely affect the training and practice regime. Furthermore, the guidelines for resale of weapons imported by Renowned Shooters is unduly restrictive and hampers the development of sports.

At present, the Departments/Agencies involved in the process of granting permission for import of weapons and ammunition and resale of used weapons by renowned shooters are National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) , Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports (MYA&S), Director General Foreign Trade, Ministry of Commerce, Ministry of Finance, Department of Revenue and Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).

A nice step ....

Bad Cheetah Out ...
Cheetah Bhi Peeta Hai ....
:cheers:
Source :
http://pib.nic.in/release/release.asp?relid=57436
Bad Cheetah Out ....

Cheetah Bhi Peeta Hai ...

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Ministry relaxes arms import provisions for shooters

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:53 pm

How about this:-

"The govt has withdrawn the restriction on import of firearms.Henceforth any one can import firearms for which he has a license.He can also import ammunition to the extent allowed in his license."

Does this not sound better?

PS-Before some one starts asking me about where this news has appeared,this is just hypothetical.

PPS-Off course any one who buys a firearm is a criminal and/or a terrorist.What dark passions lie in the hearts of these natives,god knows.They are excitable and prone to violence.Best to keep all firearms out of their hands.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:59 pm

Good indeed, but by the time this is translated to the Customs Dept. another year will pass. Still, not bad. I look forward to the day, when ANY shooter, who qualifies for the National Championships and shoots the necessary score for any one event , is allowed to import guns and ammo for all the events. For example an air pistol shooter, qualifying for the Nationals and scoring the bare minimum, should be allowed to buy guns and ammo for all the other events if he so chooses.
1. Free
2. Rapid
3. Center Fire
4. Standard
With the rider that he cannot sell these weapons, if he does not participate in the Nationals in all the events for which he has bought the guns.He can only sell them after achieving renown shot status as mentioned in the new rule.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:54 pm

The Ministry has examined this issue after receipt of representations from the renowned Shooters
Some good sense did not prevail automatically. The Ministry realized the fact only after receipt of "representations" from the renowned Shooters.
The govt has withdrawn the restriction on import of firearms.Henceforth any one can import firearms for which he has a license.He can also import ammunition to the extent allowed in his license.
Some good sense will not prevail automatically. The govt. will realize only after receipt of "representations" from citizens, or they contest this meaningless restriction in Hon'ble court.
With the rider that he cannot sell these weapons, if he does not participate in the Nationals in all the events for which he has bought the guns.He can only sell them after achieving renown shot status as mentioned in the new rule.
I disagree with the opinion of encouraging the government to put "riders" etc. If any individual is allowed to purchase and import firearms with his money, the government is not doing any favour. Is the concerned individual a criminal on bail from court with "riders"?

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:28 am

Yes there should be riders if somebody is taking the renown shot route, otherwise, people tend to misuse these avenues (as we have seen one such case with the Supreme Court ). When said 'misuse' comes to light (eventually), the norms which were relaxed earlier are put back into place, that too with a vengence.
As and when, restrictions on imports are eliminated, then too riders are necessary, pertaining too the period for resale.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:57 pm

hvj1 wrote: people tend to misuse these avenues (as we have seen one such case with the Supreme Court ). When said 'misuse' comes to light
Can you define "misuse".Also,can you provide some more information on the case before the S.C.

Also have at look at this.We can draw our own conclusions as to how it happened :wink:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spor ... 517912.cms

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:12 pm

Yes there should be riders if somebody is taking the renown shot route, otherwise, people tend to misuse these avenues (as we have seen one such case with the Supreme Court ).
The government is the biggest culprit, putting in restrictions with malafide intentions. The fundamental question is, why are these "restrictions" put? What good do they serve? Are we not better off, without these dubious restrictions? Whenever you put "restrictions" there is bound to be a "misuse", whenever there is "misuse", government has an excuse to reinforce restrictions. This is a never ending cycle intentionally created by government with malafide intentions to permanently restrict the freedoms of citizens and make them used to live under "restrictions". When citizens are used to live under restrictions continuously, they stop questioning them, instead they gradually start loosing there intellectual capacity to oppose them, because they have never enjoyed the true freedom in there lives. The main culprit is the government. We are citizens of a free and democratic country, not slaves under a dictatorship. When Saddam Hussein took over Iraq, even possession of a typewriter was banned by him, just like "renowned shots" only "renowned" citizens were allowed to posses a typewriter with government permission, reason "National Security". Is a similar ban on ownership of computers also being supported, since it enables one to communicate with anybody in the world without government's knowledge? Or the government is supposed to poke it's nose into every affair of citizens, rather than doing it's fundamental job of running a welfare state?
As and when, restrictions on imports are eliminated, then too riders are necessary, pertaining too the period for resale.
The very basis of restrictions by government itself is based on faulty assumptions, hence question of riders itself is faulty.
Last edited by goodboy_mentor on Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:17 pm

check out the NARI website, as they have already got something like that as a gospel.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:29 pm

The case refers to C.H.Shah, who used bought and sold weapons on his license , most of these were imported for big bore events.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:00 pm

not that one, but the new pdf file on the home page . i was looking at.
Nagarifle

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:07 pm

The most effective way to "curb misuse" is to freely allow commercial imports of arms & ammunition as it was done up to the 1950's + remove restrictions on local manufacture of arms & ammo + remove restrictions & quotas on arms dealers... etc. basically free the system from Govt. introduced market imperfections and "misuse" will automatically dry up! License holders will be happy, arms dealers will be happy, manufacturers will be happy and the Govt. will also net more revenues... the only ones who will be unhappy would be criminals as they would now face better arms citizens!

Put the sting back in the bees tail, else it will continue to get squashed like a common fly!
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:30 pm

GBM
Look mate, just like you and thousands other I want my weapons of choice. I would love to own a 9mm Berretta, No way I can do that. I want a single six convertible .22 ruger in stainless steel, but NO, I cannot import it. I was 23 years old in 1984, when the govt. disallowed imports. I am 48 in 2010. Thats 25 years gone, without the pleasure of owning and firing guns of my own choice and guns I could call my own.
But I am ready to compromise on this issue, okay? So imagine me sitting across the table (IMAGINE) with the powers that be, who say,You want a bloody ruger? Fine! then you cant sell it! ( Now thats a rider). FINE, I bloody accept , (in any case they are going to bury me with it). and hope that somewhere down the line, just like what has happened now (relaxation of norms) I probably can sell my (by then old and thoroughly used ruger) and buy a new one (hopefully the .44 magnum).
Got it mate? I am ready to compromise and be happy for X number of years, enjoy it, till such time light dawns (or before I kick the bucket)on the powers that be and I get what I ultimately want.
Naga
What is NARI? Surely its not National Aids Research Institute or Nibkar Agricultural Research Institute? or is it NRAI?

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:41 pm

May I recommend Etienne de la Boetie's "The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude" as further reading? It's an eighty page PDF file - http://www.mises.org/rothbard/boetie.pdf

His concepts of the hierarchy of patronage/ privilege/ favours makes as much sense today as it did when he wrote about it a few hundred years ago... check it out...
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:48 pm

hvj1 wrote:GBM
Naga
What is NARI? Surely its not National Aids Research Institute or Nibkar Agricultural Research Institute? or is it NRAI?
whats the difference? ROTFL

-- Sun Jan 31, 2010 16:51 --

they are both full of pox
Nagarifle