can i bring a gun whan i am on holiday in India

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

can i bring a gun whan i am on holiday in India

Post by Baljit » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:52 pm

Hi, guy's can i bring a gun whan i am on holiday in India, if i can how , Please let me know i am coming to India next year.

Thank's
Baljit

For Advertising mail webmaster
MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Re: can i bring a gun whan i am on holiday in India

Post by MoA » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:48 pm

Technically I believe it is possible, but not wortht he trouble. :cheers:

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:53 am

yes you can but like MoA said it not worth it.

you would need to get a NOC /licence for the NPB cal from your High commission, about six months in advance. this is the tourist route, check out the imports or TR thread for more info.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:56 am

what you guy's mean by it not worth it. i like to get more info. about this, if i can i'll bring my 30.06 that's not a PB.
Thank's
Baljit

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:38 pm

The problem is getting a Tourist License. Earlier when Shikar was allowed this was common, but since the ban, the only route has been to get it as a competitive shooter from another country. The process usually involves many more steps than an ordinary arms license because the applicant will be from another country. I am guessing you will have to have proof that you are a competitor from your country and also that you will be participating on invitation in some event in India. The license will be for a maximum period of 6 months.
regards,
Anand

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:10 pm

Hi Baljit,
> When it is said that "Its Not Worth It"...simply means....
1. If you are a citizen of Canada, then you have to give a statement of purpose for bringing the gun to India. Is it for hunting / participating in a competition etc.
2. If so have you a hunting licence bought in India - ref. to be produced / details of competition you're participating, invitation, duration, location etc.
3. If you are not a citizen of Canada but returning to India, then justification of bringing the gun into India. Do you possess a valid licence?
4.Do you have an import permit? There are restrictions in importing guns into India, even if its an NP bore>.
5. After all this your gun will be impounded. There will be penalties + custom duties to be paid.
6. Your credentials & locus standi (means your reputation / criminal records if any) will be checked (this may take months)
> Hope now you understand when its said "its not worth it".
Cheers
Brihacharan

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:01 pm

Get a pic of your 30-06 and show your friends.Easier and less painful. :lol:
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:36 pm

by eljefe » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:01 pm

Get a pic of your 30-06 and show your friends.Easier and less painful.

ROTFL
Cheers
Brihacharan

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:10 pm

eljefe wrote:Get a pic of your 30-06 and show your friends.Easier and less painful. :lol:
You're right Doc. What else could one do with a 30-06 while on "holiday" in India. Its not like they have high power rifle shooting competitions that will send out invites. Add this to the list of "not worth it". Its like the guy managing the Hyderabad range told me when I wanted to shoot and I'm para phrasing here. He said something like, "you're here for a vacation, just enjoy family and friends and food and go back and shoot all you want" :lol: