Nitro Piston air guns

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Ricky
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Nitro Piston air guns

Post by Ricky » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:45 am

I was going through the site of crosman, in the barrel break section they've displayed a new gun which is recently launched by them. This new gun uses Nitro piston action instead of spring action, more than 1200 fps and less noise.

:?: Does anyone know more about such guns ???
:?: are there any Indian manufacturers of such guns???
:?: Are they available in India???
We don't fear to negotiate but we don't negotiate out of fear

For Advertising mail webmaster
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Nitro Piston air guns

Post by ckkalyan » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:51 pm

Hi Ricky,

Nitro Piston - check this link out http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009 ... ir-rifles/

Where it says:

Crosman Nitro Piston Air Rifles
Crossman have licensed a gas piston technology and will be incorporating it into a range of air rifles. The word “gas piston” probably has you thinking of gas operated autoloader rifles. In the context of air guns, “gas piston” refers to the piston system of break barrel air guns. Instead of compressing a spring when cocked, they compress gas. When the trigger is pulled the piston is released, the piston is pushed forward by the expanding gas. The piston in turn compresses air which pushes the pellet out of the rifle.

From the press release:

The heart of gas piston technology is its use of nitrogen as the power, instead of a coiled steel spring.

Unlike steel and CO2, nitrogen isn’t adversely affected by temperature. In addition, the technology allows for much easier cocking. The nitro piston starts engaging the moment the shooter starts cocking the gun. Gas pistons can also be left cocked for long periods of time without degrading and losing velocity, the way steel springs do. Also, when a steel spring uncoils, the vibration is not only annoying, it compromises precision. “Nitro Piston technology solves both by creating a smoother cocking force and releasing the gun’s power more quickly,” said D’Arcy.

I haven't an inkling about the last two queries related to India, sorry! However, hazarding an educated guess, my answer would be NO to both questions.

Trust this helps.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

Ricky
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Ricky » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:00 pm

Nice piece of info
Comprehensive

thanx
We don't fear to negotiate but we don't negotiate out of fear

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:26 pm

Nitro pistons are based on the gas ram / gas spring / gas strut technology, i'm pretty sure there are some old threads on them.
NO guns in India come with them.

They (struts) are available in India but not yet available for airguns, at present they are used in cars, shock absorbers etc (these are alll different versions of the same thing).

A local gas spring manufacturer can be approached and one doctored.. do let us know if you try that :-)

A friend of mine has it in his Gamo big cat and it performs just like advertised.
/S/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.