How to choose the right pellet for your Air Rifle?

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

How to choose the right pellet for your Air Rifle?

Post by brihacharan » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:38 pm

Hi Guys!
> More often than not Air Rifle Shooters are confronted with "The right choice of pellets" for their shooting. Here's some info that might help in deciding.

HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT PELLET
Pellets come in many different sizes and shapes. And with the many designs available today, it can be a bit daunting figuring out what pellet is best suited to your needs. In this article we will discuss which pellet one should use for each particular kind of shooting.

Airgun pellets have many variables….but most are of the diabolo design. Diabolo is a term used to designate a pellet with a pinched waist, and most, if not all, have a hollow skirt that produces drag on the pellet just like the skirt on a badminton birdie, or shuttlecock. This drag is what keeps the pellet from turning end over end, aiding in accuracy. And if you take a look at the many different kinds of diabolo pellets, you’ll find many variations in the skirt…..thick or thin, long or short, and with varying hardness to the lead which affects how well the skirt flares upon firing to engage the rifling and seal the air behind it as it travels down the barrel.

You can divide the different kinds of shooters into 3 basic groups:
1) Target shooters
2) Plinking / fun shooters
3) Hunters

Each group has specific needs that will determine what kind of pellet they should use. Most of the major pellet manufacturers offer a pellet design for the above three groups. Crosman, Daisy, RWS, Beeman, Gamo…..all are vying for a place in the market. With the many offerings out there, you are sure to find a pellet that will fit your needs for your intended shooting pastime.

TARGET SHOOTING
Most target-shooting in formal competition is done at the distance of 10 meters. The airguns used for such shooting are very precise, phenomenally accurate, and extremely smooth shooting. They shoot wadcutter pellets that cut a precise hole in the card that the target is made out of, which enables officials to score more accurately to determine the better shooter.

Wadcutter pellets have a flat head, pinched waist, and are designed to be shot at lower velocities. The need for extreme accuracy is aided by a slower moving pellet, since projectiles that approach the speed of sound (around 1100 fps) tend to be adversely affected by the sonic wave they produce at that velocity. Keeping the wadcutter moving at a more sedate 500-600 fps, or even slower gives extreme accuracy needed for formal competition. Wadcutters have an added advantage for the pest control shooter in that they deliver impressive knockdown power at shorter ranges due to the wide surface on the pellet head.

PLINKING FOR FUN
If you aren’t shooting for extreme accuracy, and simply want to bounce a plastic bottle or tin can around, your choice of pellet opens up quite a bit. Pretty much any kind of pellet you have will work for close-range fun shooting, but if you want to stretch out the distance, using a round-nosed diabolo pellet will help you reach out a little further. Wadcutters are the least aerodynamic pellet available, shedding velocity very quickly. At 10 meters that is of little concern, but for fun plinking at longer ranges, a good quality round-nosed pellet is hard to beat. Check out the RWS Superdome pellet. It comes in either a .177 or .22 caliber and is a very high quality round nose pellet.

HUNTING
When hunting, there are some issues that seem to always pop up among airgunners. Many desire the gun that shoots the fastest, while others swear by one pellet or another in terms of taking the game of their choice. So let’s look at some of the pellets one might use for hunting purposes.

Accuracy is king when hunting with an airgun. Placing that pellet on target at a lower velocity will always be more lethal than missing the target at a higher velocity. Remember the saying from the firearm world? “A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44!”

Generally, a heavier pellet is desirable for most hunting. In .177, this translates into 10 grain pellets or higher. For a .22 pellet, figure about 18 grains or more for a good heavyweight pellet. The weight of a heavier pellet allows hunters to use the higher-velocity guns on the market, yet keep the pellet below the speed of sound for optimum accuracy. This gives the most foot-pounds of energy (fpe) being delivered on target. You can take a Gamo Hunter Extreme in .177 and shoot a very light pellet of 6 grains or so out of it, and you will have some awesome velocity. You will doubtless break the sound barrier, have a supersonic crack that will make the gun sound like a firearm, and deliver a pellet somewhere downrange…..but I doubt you will be pleased with the accuracy. When that light pellet breaks the sounds barrier, the sonic wave plays havoc with its flight path. If you take that same Gamo Hunter Extreme and shoot a much heavier pellet out of it, the resulting reduction in velocity will translate into superior accuracy, which is what allows the hunter to hit his target in the desired kill zone.

I have hunted with a variety of pellet types in different airguns that range in power from about 600 fps to some real barn burners pushing pellets over 1100 fps. And experience has shown me that when I am pushing a pellet at top speeds, I get better accuracy with heavy, round-nosed pellets such as the Beeman Kodiak, or the ultra-heavy Korean Eu Jin pellets, regardless of the caliber. If I lower the velocity down into a more sedate range of 750-900 fps, many of the mid-weight pellets such as RWS Superdomes and Crosman Premiers provide excellent results.

For a look at the wide selection of pellet weights available, check out this link which will give you the approximate weight from a vast number of pellet manufacturers, several of which are carried by AirgunDepot - http://viriato.net/airgunning/techinfo.html

Hollow-point pellets are available in each popular caliber and provide another option for the airgun hunter. But in order to take advantage of the hollow-point’s design, you need to use them in the higher-powered airguns that are pushing the pellet along at a really good pace. Without the higher velocity, the expansion of the hollow-point is negligible, and you aren’t really gaining any advantage over a domed pellet in terms of knock-down power. At low power, the hollow-point pellet hits much like the wadcutter. That isn’t necessarily bad since the flat impact surface translates excellent force to the game you are shooting. And if a particular brand of hollow-point pellet shoots best in your airgun, by all means use that one!

So what pellet should you use? Keep in mind the target you are shooting, the power of your airgun, and the type of penetration desired, and you can begin to zero in on the type pellet you will want to use. Also each airgun is different so it’s best to get several different types of pellets and test them in your particular air rifle and see what it likes best.
Cheers
Brihacharan

For Advertising mail webmaster
vrohan59
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: How to choose the right pellet for your Air Rifle?

Post by vrohan59 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:49 pm

Nice info,thanks :cheers:
War does not define who is right -- only who is left
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:06 pm

As per my experience, ondinary local pellets can give better impact and accuracy provided it sits tightly at breech.
mastershot roundhead fails to give the same accuracy as compare to mastershot wadcutter in my gun as skirt dia of the former is a shed less than the later.
I wish to get some more view in this regard.

Basu

Note: Briha -it is a good posting
Not all those wander , are lost...............

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:45 pm

Hi Basu,
> Noted your predicament - it's not unusal - most Air Rifle Shooters experience this some time or the other.
> There are too many factors that decide accuracy such as:
1. The dimension & configuration of the pellet.
2. Shape of the pellet
3. Pellet weight.
4. Rifling of the barrel.
5. Dimension of the breech seat.
6. External wind velocity.
7. Trigger release - if the rifle is hand held.
> Flat Head / Wad Cutters are good between 25ft to 30ft - beyond this accuracy goes for a toss as these pellets cannot tolerate fwd wind resistance. Same goes for Hollow Heads. Good for short distances.
> Round Heads / High Dome / Pointed pellets are ballistically better as the tail wind bucks the pellet up and keeps it on as flat a trgectory as possible.
> There is something called shrinkage while the pellets are manufactured. Pellets are cast in a 'Die' and when the mould is released to extract the pellet, they shrink and come out. During the shrinkage there could be reduction in the dimension of the pellet - hence fitment problem in the breech resulting in leakage & loss of power & accuracy. Manufacturers use the same 'Die' over several years so wear & tear > result improper dimension. Dies have to be inspected frequently for size & our mfrs. dont care.
> There's much more to be said on the other points I've mentioned!!!
> Best is to zero in on one pellet shape & weight best suited to your rifle!!!
Cheers
Brihacharan

spslfa
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by spslfa » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:41 pm

hello brihcharan,

nice post, very informative. also, can you recommend 2-3 brands in each category according to your experience?

good shoot
hold on your dream, your day will come.....

adkol
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by adkol » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:57 pm

Imformative post, thanks

vrohan59
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vrohan59 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:30 pm

In my experience with Indian pellets,I have found that "double head" pellets give better results(a fact owing to their greater weight and sectional density)in accuracy and energy transfer to the target.For pest control with air rifles,penetration at the ranges in which they are used is more important than say the energy.Here pointed pellets are more suitable than wadcutters or hollow points(Indian made air rifles just don't have the power,as compared to imported ones.I have used RWS hollow points on many ocassions in my Indian air rifles and found the results to be unsatisfactory to say the least;where as my Diana has given better results.using "pointed"pellets in my Diana and Norinco have given excellent results) ,I have also found that "double head"pellets are more effective than "single heads"in this regard.
Rohan
War does not define who is right -- only who is left
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:59 pm

by spslfa » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:41 pm
hello brihcharan,
> nice post, very informative. also, can you recommend 2-3 brands in each category according to your experience?

Hi spslfa,
> The 2 Indian brands of good quality pellets (round head / flat / pointed / hollow) are:
1. Master Shot - Match
2. GSmith
> Unfortunately good imported pellets are hard to come by here. If you have friends coming from abroad you can request them to bring these for you.
> It's true that different pellets in different configurations & weight perform differently in different makes of air rifles.
> The best is to zero in on one brand & one type for all round shooting. This way you know where exactly your pellet will hit.
> Mind you if you are using a scope then you may have alter the settings for each type of pellet, because they perform differently.
> Just for info visit this site for additional information -
http://www.photobykev.com/wordpress/... ... database/-
> Personnaly I use round heads for plinking / target-shooting / hunting(pests) - suits me fine.
> Because once you have zeroed your scope with one pellet type - you just have to pick up your gun and "WHAM" - no second thoughts about where the pellet will go - you know where it goes!!!
Happy shooting!
Cheers
Brihacharan

Gunner_dh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Gunner_dh » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:53 pm

Hi All,

I recently procured some Gamo Lethal .177 pellets from Kovibazar. I find numbers behind the pellets. I wondered if there was any specific reason for them being there.

Regards
Dh[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201712 ... 7d3a72.jpg[/img]

Sent from my Micromax Q415 using Tapatalk

narach93
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by narach93 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:25 am

Briha's post on pellets is one of the best information I ever read anywhere. It should be saved as a guideline for selecting pellets. Sort of refresher course. Thanks for sharing your spendid knowledge.