Take a look at JIM CORBETT's 450/400 Double Rifle

Posts related to rifles.
NILESH THAKUR
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Take a look at JIM CORBETT's 450/400 Double Rifle

Post by NILESH THAKUR » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:10 pm

Hey guys you must have read stories of Corbett tracking down Maneaters now take a look at his double Rifle Jim Corbett's tiger rifle-the best quality boxlock .450-400(3") double rifle by W.J. Jeffery & Co., with which he killed so many man-eating tigers
corbett_450-400.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
GAURAV SONDHI
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Take a look at JIM CORBETT's 450/400 Double Rifle

Post by GAURAV SONDHI » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:40 pm

Wow Nilesh now that is a rifle with history ....where is it? would love to see it personally

shoot to kill
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by shoot to kill » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:14 am

great work Nilesh, its a joy tothe eyes to view the weapons, Thanks
Mr S.M.Nawab

I work to live,
I live to Shoot.

arshad_ahmad48
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by arshad_ahmad48 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:52 am

are these pics of any museum
In business, being the first doesn't mean anything. Getting it right is the recipe that defines everything.

NILESH THAKUR
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by NILESH THAKUR » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:32 pm

This rifle is in Elmer Keith Museum, at Cabela's, in Boise

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:28 pm

are you saying that this is the rifle of jim corbett? the actual one which he owned?

-- Wed Apr 14, 2010 20:30 --

eh so its not the actual one. i was wondering how it got out from India :D
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:09 am

Jim Corbett Probably owned quite a few rifles he must have taken few with him to Kenya.or it was taken out of India like many others by the infamous western dealers .still worth looking into it although if tru deserves in a museum in India.

best

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:11 pm

Corbett left India after the Indipendence and took all his arms and trophies with him (which were with him at that time). He already had plantations in Kenya and kept going up and down but after 47, he knew he was going for good.

He started the 'tree tops' Which are now the world famoue tree tops and a must-do in the Kenyan safari

Lot of his rifles are still around. Recently there was an article in one of the shooting magazines by a gentleman who inherited the rifle given to him after he shot the Champawat man eater tigress who killed 436 humans.

Its a pity not much of his family survives. There are only a few copies remaining of a famous photo in which he is posing with the skins of all (?most) the man eaters he shot in his lifetime. If members here have access to it/can find it, kindly post it here.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:13 am

shooter

The fact that he owned a plantation in Kenya and started tree tops hotel is something new I learned.

best

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:20 am

ngrewal wrote:shooter

The fact that he owned a plantation in Kenya and started tree tops hotel is something new I learned.

best
Another very interesting historical tidbit is that the present queen of England,then Princess Elizabeth went to spend some time at the Tree Tops.While she was there,her father King George VI passed away.Corbett wrote that

"For the first time in the history of the world, a young girl climbed into a tree one day a Princess, and after having what she described as her most thrilling experience, she climbed down from the tree the next day a Queen— God bless her."

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

brijendra
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by brijendra » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:32 pm

i enjoyed all the posts and the history part of both gun and the great man :cheers:
DARWIN said " survival of the fittest "
I say " survival of the armed ones "

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:55 pm

The original tree tops burned down by lighting / fire (i forget which); and the current tree tos is close to the original site.

Corbett died a few months after QE2 came and this account was published. Though this was his last book, it still retained the elegant writing style and of course the respect for his queen.

The scene he describes just before the princess climbed the ladder and the wild tuskers nearby and him describing it the most heroic act of all. (not being afraid of the elephant).

One can seen clearly see the awe (absolutely culturally relevant and normal for a white man in that era) he was in as in many of his previous works of maneaters, how he describes the villagers being courageous in fighting the various maneaters being the most courageous act and this act of the queen supposedly surpasses them all.

This is just an observation and i repeat again just as i have on other threads about carpet sahib that this doesnt mean or intend to mean that I respect him any less.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

tobler69
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by tobler69 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:52 am

hey,
my dad owns the same gun. for which i need the bullets, its 400/450 nice hand made with engravings. we have 9 bullets at present. nice 5-6 inches long brass nitro express.
Speak softly for the first time, next, let your AK-47 do the talking....

NILESH THAKUR
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by NILESH THAKUR » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:17 pm

hi tobler69
please post the pic of the rifle

amer4545
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by amer4545 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:16 pm

Vikram wrote:
ngrewal wrote:shooter

best
Another very interesting historical tidbit is that the present queen of England,then Princess Elizabeth went to spend some time at the Tree Tops.While she was there,her father King George VI passed away.Corbett wrote that

"For the first time in the history of the world, a young girl climbed into a tree one day a Princess, and after having what she described as her most thrilling experience, she climbed down from the tree the next day a Queen— God bless her."

Best-
Vikram
Amazing bit of history there Vikram...thanks for sharing. When are politicians hear about this, everyone will be climbing trees....and i just hope, they sit there waiting for destiny...lol
Amer