IOF's New Sniper Rifle

Post by Raj Malhotra » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:35 pm

For Advertising mail webmaster
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: IOF 30-06 Rifle

Post by eljefe » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:39 pm

Positive development, even if its a tricked up SMLE. WHY cant they use a better action? or are they trying to use up the lacs of surplus SMLE?
Horrible iron sights...
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: IOF's New Sniper Rifle

Post by shooter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:10 am

Horrible iron sights...
:agree:
horrible finish
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:14 am

shooter wrote:
Horrible iron sights...
horrible finish

Baljit

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:35 pm

A little bit of CARE and PRIDE in IOFB's work wouldnt go amiss. We tolerateed the Padmini's and Ambassadors for generations...until the Maruti came.Now its a buyer's market and the choice is bewildering. If IOFB can offer the same vaunted quality they were famous for a few decades ago, where RFI SMLE's were snapped up at collector prices(and still are!) But the chalta hai attitude refuses to die away :evil:
Also, get GUNSMITHS like Cottage cheese on the design and approvals board...the current crop of bedpan mechanics are just that.

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:48 pm

do you 'll think that the scope is painted?sights,safety lock,trigger,trigger gaurd are all borowed from 315 rifle ,i think.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:20 pm

When one considers that this is a sniper rifle, I don't find the painted finish to be objectionable. Granted, I've spent a lot of time and paint stripper getting the gunk lathered on my RFI 2A off of the thing, but after all, why would paint be wrong for a working military tool? I am assuming that, like so many SMLEs, it is Parkerized underneath, which would protect the metal.

I also note that the original 2 piece stock is gone and the action bedded into a composite stock (I think). This would also contribute to one of the big issues that affect SMLE accuracy: fore end bedding.

I agree that the iron sights look poor. Some sort of rear aperture sight should have been used.

However, my main question would be why they used a barrel so similar to the original SMLE contour. I'd have thought that a heavier barrel would have been more effective for this application.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

gajamacho
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by gajamacho » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:07 pm

Does that thing fire? :mrgreen:

abhrankash
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by abhrankash » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:24 pm

Baljit wrote:
shooter wrote:
Horrible iron sights...
horrible finish

Baljit
if finish is horrible what about the shot?
if the same then its horrible(nightmare)
ABHRANKASH

Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
Winston Churchill

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:34 pm

http://www.strategypage.com/dls/article ... 4-2010.asp

More laundry-dirty, obviously...
Funny , IOFB starts NEW factories when it has surplus land, capacity...
Plays around with a dozen variants-not one approved (I'd love to know more about that synthetic stock, scope and performance of that7.62x51 Sniper rifle.) wants to run a 3-4 caliber,bullpup, interchangeable caliber PDW, FUTURE (!) INSAS and a whole lot of gobbledy gook
The basic 'man on the ground' should get enough, basic stuff to work. The Jats and Rajrif who went up Tiger Hill and other places with minimal equipment, plastic rifles which failed constantly, and WON-a true testimony to the Indian Soldier, who always perseveres and WINS, inspite of the armchair warriors and people who make money out of exorbitantly priced coffins.
End of Rant
Funny title, Excalibur, in the IOFB line up? for an explanation, see my signature...and I found this interesting comment, quoted here with permission of the owner-
"...don't worry about the heathen sinning b******s, who shall burn in the lakes of Hell,for all eternity, for their single minded bastardy..." sp
said in relation to guns , bureaucrats,design and approvals!

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:35 pm

These days the new mantra for sniping is to get two or three shots or to take two or three targets at one go , from any concealed position .If these IOF guys modify surplus junk and if it is thrust upon our brave uniformed men,I am or will not be surprised to expect another massacre like the one that happened in Chattisgargh!.I wonder what do the so called NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISER and the IPS top brass guys do to improve the equipment of our forces mostly from IOF ? or are our men just expendable? Why does the SPG get always the best in a wink and the other state special units, THESE JUNK ?. Are'nt the IOF guys not ashamed at their INVENTIONS. ? I think we have to open a forum on IOF and bell the cat by highlighting its short commings. JAI HIND

boris
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by boris » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:35 pm

veeveeaar wrote:These days the new mantra for sniping is to get two or three shots or to take two or three targets at one go , from any concealed position .If these IOF guys modify surplus junk and if it is thrust upon our brave uniformed men,I am or will not be surprised to expect another massacre like the one that happened in Chattisgargh!.I wonder what do the so called NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISER and the IPS top brass guys do to improve the equipment of our forces mostly from IOF ? or are our men just expendable? Why does the SPG get always the best in a wink and the other state special units, THESE JUNK ?. Are'nt the IOF guys not ashamed at their INVENTIONS. ? I think we have to open a forum on IOF and bell the cat by highlighting its short commings. JAI HIND
very simple reason sir SPG guards the PM and mrs gandhi and her family,and well state police forces guard people like you and me
You haven't lived until you have been close to death,for those who fight life has a different flavor that the protected will never know.

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:41 pm

So we are just herds of cattle.So why not switch to muzzle loaders and cracker shots ?

abhrankash
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by abhrankash » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:08 pm

veeveeaar wrote:So we are just herds of cattle.So why not switch to muzzle loaders and cracker shots ?

Dear SIR,
In order to guide a herds of cattle you need to have a DANDA not the guns,(its all the bureaucratic moves since the design heads use to look for some bureaucrat to sign on the design so that it can go for mfg. process and about the quality "allha mallik!!!")

so that the bureaucrat can have the credit that during his or her regime IOF has done this and that.
this brings a golden star to their service CCR, Actually they cannot wait for the best to come out what ever may be the out come manufactured it so that they can have the star on the service record.

If you want to change the design its a very tedious process to go through and no one would like to go through this.
for this you need to have many things.
Namely.
1. Engineering review committee(and report)
2. Engineering change note
3. Engineering change review
and many evaluation that yields you the performance of the arm etc.
and feed back from many depts.
actually this what discourages the good intellectuals(and good technicians) to come up with new ideas to improve the capability of the arm what IOF offers.
ABHRANKASH

Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
Winston Churchill

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:46 pm

I think our police forces are better off with the various British and American made SMLEs already lying in their armouries. I am sure even the WWII vintage ammo they still have stored will serve them better than IOF ammo.

One can safely guess that the FN small arms carried by the various VIP protection teams assigned to our politicians also use imported ammo as IOF has no setup to manufacture ammo for the FN P90, FN2000 and 57 pistols, all of which use modern calibers developed in the last decade.

M.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai