game recipes?

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:56 pm

Chicken in clay ball- aka beggars chicken in chinese folklore?
Yup, a little bit of masala (mustard paste, what have you..) wrap meat, (esp fish in banana leaf) and cook in cooker with water, no pressure... basically steaming-voila!! now my keyboard is mush...
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:36 pm

dev wrote:I would love to try this out while fishing with a few cans of baked beans stashed as a back up. ;-)
I am not much of a baked beans fan but the next time you have them, add some finely chopped onions and green chillies and then heat this in a sauce pan - stir constantly. A dash of Tobasco, if you like the stuff, and it really makes a difference.

Tip: Goes very well with fried eggs and buttered toasts.

Mack The Knife

P.S.: That baked bean tin can make a good emergency water tumbler provided you drink Indian style - without touching your lips to the rim. Failing which use it to melt lead or keep your earthworms in. ;)

WyoJoe
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by WyoJoe » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:49 pm

Try this web site they have a lot of wild game recipes. Some are outlandish but you might find some that are worthwhile.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/martin/wildrecipes/
There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:59 pm

Joe,

TICK STEW

1 bag black beans
1 lb. browned hamburger or ground venison
1 jar of salsa (28 to 32 oz.)
Hot sauce - to taste

Cook beans according to directions. Add salsa and burger. Add hot sauce. Cook over medium heat until hot. Serve with nachos or corn chips, or corn or flour tortillas.

Tick stew had me a bit greenish...until I read this.
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:48 am

sorry for the late reply guys.
yes grumpy i have tried wood pigeon. very good.
(was frozen not fresh : we indians believe fresh-not hung- tastes better)

jain/ marwari cuisine in india has no onion garlic. it is veg but if one tries it, one will find he might eat his hand along with the food- some of the dishes taste so good.

thanks to my other friends, lets keep the recipes rolling.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:47 pm

How To Cook Shot Pigeons (Recipes)
http://www.pigeonwatch.co.uk/recipes.htm
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

casual shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by casual shooter » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:16 pm

when we used to go hunting we used to take
surgical gloves for skinning
grounded jeera powder and red chil;lies
salt and black pepper
after skinning the game mix it with above ingrdiants and put it on slow fire the fat will melt and then some water till u try your luck with some booze
cook thew stuff and eat it with pav
fish can be wrapped in aluminium papper and dug in sand and camp fire lit on it after some time take it out it is ready to eat small game like rabbit etc can be treated in the same way.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: game recipes?

Post by Safarigent » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:21 pm

found the right place, thanks shooter

speaking to a relative, got this recipe out from an old notebook he had.
i havent tried it out yet. he said it could be used for all game. no prior preparation required except for water fowl, to marinate, use raw papaya or carry some vinegar.
this is per kg of meat.

onions 250 gms
garlic 8 flakes
ginger 1 small piece
turmeric 1 tsp
garam masala 2 tbsp
tomatoes 100 gm
ghee 200 gm
red chillies, salt to taste
chop onions and tomatoes into small pieces. grind rest of ingredients except coarsely.
heat ghee and add the above made masala.
add onions, fry till onions are light brown.
add tomatoes, fry for 5 minutes.
add meat on slow heat and simmer till meat is soft and masala separates from the ghee.
incase the meat is still hard, add some more water and simmer until required.

i am gonna try it out on some mutton and let you know how it went.
To Excellence through Diligence.

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:47 am

When I'm doing the cooking, instead of the missus, my favorite is curried moose stew. But I'm afraid moose would be hard to come by for any of you.
Most important, in my opinion, is not to overcook any game meat, and how it has been handled in the field. Cutting it up with a chainsaw to speed up butchering is not the best way.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:28 pm

Something my grandmother used to make still makes my mouth water every time I think about it. A dish fit for a King.

She used a piece of skinned Hilsa fish steamed in a small stainless steel container with a tightly fitting lid (like a tiffin box). Into the tin she put a little bit of water and some freshly ground mustard (Shorshe or Sarsa?). The whole thing was then cooked till the fish is soft. The steam from the water forces the mustard into the fish and gives it a very subtle and delicate taste.
Hilsa (Ileesh Mach) is a freshwater fish that is available in West Bengal. I have never seen it available anywhere else.

Another problem with Hilsa is that it has very fine, almost hair-like bones and if you are not a Bong, used to eating fish every day, you are going to get some of those bones stuck in your throat.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:48 pm

I believe you are referring to the famous bengali dish shorshe bataar maach (fish with mustard). It is out of the world tasty.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:06 am

Yup, Shooter, I believe that is it.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:08 pm

Gamebird curry in red wine marinade
(medium spicy)

Ingredients
4 full size partridges (you can substitute with quail/ pheasant/ pigeon - but compensate accordingly for size/ weight variations)
1 cup red wine (wine that is slightly "off" seems to work well also)
3 tablespoons ghee (preferable) or vegetable oil
1 Teaspoon coriander (dhania) powder
2 onions – chopped finely
1.5 Teaspoon garlic paste
1.5 Teaspoon ginger paste
3 fresh green chillies finely chopped - vary based on taste, go higher if you want it hotter
1 pack (200grams) Tomato purée
gamebird stock - can substitute with chicken stock
3 bay leaves (Tez patta)
Salt to taste

Garam masala powder
1 Teaspoon cumin (jeera) seeds
2 Teaspoon coriander (dhania) seeds
1 Teaspoon fennel (badi saunf) seeds
8-12 black peppercorns (kali mirch) - vary based on taste, feel free to go higher if you want it hotter
1 inch piece cinnamon (dal chini) stick
6 cardamoms (badi elaichi)
4 cloves (long)

1 bunch freshly chopped coriander (hara dhania) - for garnish

Method
Debone the birds
Mix the garlic with the red wine and put the meat in - allow to marinate for 12 hours (less if you have hung the meat for a period of time)
With the leftover bones etc. prepare your stock

Heat the ghee/ oil in a deep pot/ pressure cooker/ wok - if you are using vegetable oil, add a teaspoon of ghee for flavour
Add the bay leaves and allow them to brown
Add the onions and allow to cook on medium heat

Preparing the garam masala:-
Heat the ingredients in a dry frying pan on medium flame stirring constantly so they roast evenly - do this till they begin to smoke
Allow to cool and then grind to a power using a blender

When the onions are about half done add the garam masala powder & ginger paste mix well and fry till the onions are done (they will turn golden brown)
Now add the tomato puree, coriander powder and chopped green chillis and mix well, allowing the entire mixture to fry for several minutes on low heat (stir every few minutes)
Now add the marinated meat along with the marinade left over in the utensil - mix well and fry at medium heat for 10-15 minutes
Now bring the stock (made earlier) to a boil and add to the mixture stirring it in well
Add salt to taste
Cover the utensil and turn the heat down to low and allow to cook till the meat is done, stir every 5 minutes or so

Once done, garnish with chopped green coriander leaves and serve with rotis or white rice

Cheers!
Abhijeet

Please NOTE:- All forms of hunting are now banned in India, this recipe is posted here for the benefit of those members who live overseas and who still have access to game meat. Indian members could try substituting the meat with that of desi murga, vary the quantities accordingly.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:59 pm

Lajawab recipe saar. Abhijeet has become such a deadly cook now that his dinner bashes are beginning to acquire a legendary status. Wish the rest of you get to try his Japanese quail curry.
Need to step up from the scrambled eggs that I can make. :-)
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:01 pm

Edammame with Garlic&Jalapeno.JPG
Good recipe there Abhijeet, yum!

Wonder how I missed this old thread!? I dont have any game recipes but I sure am game for recipes; I love to cook - adventurously :lol:

Here are some of the dishes that I have er... dished up:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!