How to Calculate Score

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
Ticky
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

How to Calculate Score

Post by Ticky » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:49 pm

For the benefit of people like me and other member of the forum who don't know how to calculate the score looking at a target, I request Gun Gurus to please shed some light.

For Advertising mail webmaster
amit888_2000
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: How to Calculate Score

Post by amit888_2000 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:41 pm

1) NR Rules (national Rifle Rules)- 400 means - 40 shots, each shot 10 points....
2) ISSF Rules (International Shooting sports Federation Rules)- 600 means - 60 shots, each shot 10 points....

anything else let me know...

)))cheers!!!

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:39 pm

How you score is each ring has a score. For instance the bull is ten, the score goes down by one point per ring as you go outwards. For instance after the ten it is the nine ring, then the eight till the last ring that is one point. If the pellet or bullet even cuts touches the higher score ring by a fraction then you get the higher point as a score. After this simple version it gets more complicated with things like 10.9 etc.

As you progress you will easily get the hang of it.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

amit888_2000
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amit888_2000 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:56 pm

nine ring goes for ==== Point 9 In that perticular shot

If the pellet touches / or cuts clearly a ring between 9 & 10....than it is ==== point 10 for that perticular shot....

or if vice - versa a ring touches / or cuts a ring below between 9 & 8 ....than it is ==== point 9 in this perticular shot .

Each ring has its own number........if u get 6,7,9,10,10,9,2,5,4,2 = then ur score is 64 /100

Try not more than 10 shots per target.....For starting 4 targets, so score out of 400 only (NR Rules)..ok

)))cheers

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:31 pm

So its best ring scoring?

CanIndianHt
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by CanIndianHt » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:03 pm

just a tip to count score while shooting, many says not to coz it brings your confidence down, and i do support it. Count back while shooting to get accurate score. For example if u shoot 8 ,subtract 2 point from 600 (if u shoot 9 ,subtract 1 point from your current score.)
SAY NO TO ACTA

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:41 pm

CanIndianHt wrote:just a tip to count score while shooting, many says not to coz it brings your confidence down, and i do support it. Count back while shooting to get accurate score. For example if u shoot 8 ,subtract 2 point from 600 (if u shoot 9 ,subtract 1 point from your current score.)
Yes this is an excellent tip. I was baffled for years when the supervisor at the range would calculate my score in a jiffy.
But after this it gets complicated with the inward scoring tech.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

aglover
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by aglover » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:53 am

CanIndianHt wrote:just a tip to count score while shooting, many says not to coz it brings your confidence down, and i do support it. Count back while shooting to get accurate score. For example if u shoot 8 ,subtract 2 point from 600 (if u shoot 9 ,subtract 1 point from your current score.)
Very good tip ! It makes the work easy.

Thanks

CanIndianHt
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by CanIndianHt » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:55 pm

Remember its good that u understand how to count ur scores, however when u become a good shooter, the same technique will literary kill your ability to perform well. I know you don't get it, that how come this has any effects on ones shooting? However when u tends to count back to keep track of your scores, you tends to get carried away whenever you shoot something unwanted, like 9s and 8s. Think it my way - when I shoot a 9 , which I do around 20 to 25 times in competitions. I tends to think "it's ok I still got a lot of targets left" However this thinking of mine makes me shoot more 9s and and I often shoot 8s in competition, even when I do a good job and hit 90+. This makes my overall score go down to a critical point.

Solution - In competition you see 60 targets worth 10 points each, (or in some countries including India, beginners have 40 competition targets). Overall scores are divided into 6 parts of 10 shots. Now its a common thinking of a shooter to see the whole competition as 6 sets of 10 targets each = thinking of shooting 95 or above score in each sets of 10. Now this thinking is something that gives you same feeling as the above mentioned flaw back of counting back. If u do bad in 1 set of 10 target (10 shots out of 60), lets say 93. Your brain will suggest that "its no big deal, we still got 5 sets of targets/we still got 50 more shots". Now this feeling does the same thing as the one previously mentioned in above paragraph. It overconfidence you and makes you shoot bad half the time. And for a shooter, who has the ability shoot 90+ tends to shoot around 70s more often. Solution--->This is something I am learning too. Contrary to above tip, this method is hard and sometimes fatal to start with, but once u got a hold of it, NO ONE CAN STOP YOU. This is something every great shooter practices to get 95+ score(Gagan, Abhinav and many 100s of more from around the globe). Now the solution is to think every single target out of 60 as one single shot. When we normally shoot we take in mind that there are 10 shots and I just shot 1 or 2 or 3 badones, so not a big deal. And we keep doing same thing for rest of sets (match). If we think 1 target as 1 shot, we'll do better. As if your thinking that no hope is beyond this shot and this is the last shot. Its a hard technique for a new shooter but if you practice it alot, your score will improve dramatically. I know very well that you are not clearly getting what m trying to say here. Its hard to explain it in words without practically teaching you. Its something a top shooter will easily understand.

If you did not get the meaning out of the above paragraph I suggest you ask your coach or a top shooter to read this. Its hard to explain in words hence the best way is to practically experience it. I hope it helps some of you. These suggestions of mine are not learned anywhere, I am a self learned shooter, never head coaching and I don't really practice at all , may be around 2 to 3 times before any competition I compete in. Something I still have to improve. Always keep in mind, u don't need a coach after basic knowledge, and anyone can shoot well, even all your classmates in school. :stupid: :D
SAY NO TO ACTA