Savage Accutrigger

Posts related to rifles.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Savage Accutrigger

Post by xl_target » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:11 am

Katana wrote:XL,

Any idea what this 'Accutrigger' is all about? Savage keeps harping about it, but just couldn't figure out how it works.
To avoid the liability of a firearm going off when dropped or jarred, manufacturers have been installing triggers that require large amounts of force to let off. Having an overly stiff trigger can be detrimental to accuracy as a large amount of force required to let off the trigger can often move or jerk the gun as it is being fired.

Savage came up with the "Accutrigger" to help alleviate this problem. You can have a really light trigger but there is a lever that must be pushed out of the way before the trigger will fire. Watch the video in the link below. It will explain the functioning of the "Accutrigger". The concept is relatively simple.

http://www.savagearms.com/accuracy/accutrigger/

The Savage 212, 220, etc use the Savage rifle action with a slug barrel attached. This allows the use of the rifle's Accutrigger.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Savage Accutrigger

Post by dr.jayakumar » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:48 am

thanks for sharing x-l,
is this system seen only in savage or other guns too?
is it possible to get the trigger mechanism seperately?
regards

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:53 am

Doctor sahib,
I don't believe that you can buy the trigger by itself. Keep in mind that these are not match triggers. It just allows you a lighter pull (compared to some of the other commercially manufactured hunting rifles out there). They are, however, adjustable adjustable down to 3lbs. for hunting rifles, 1.5lbs. for varmint rifles and 6 ounces for target rifles and totally safe in the event of dropping the rifle. You can buy the Savage action with the Accutrigger built onto it if you are interested in building your own rifle.

For years, Savage produced a very low end rifle; crappy wood, crappy finishes, mediocre performance and horrible triggers, basically low end rifles. Today, the company has totally changed its attitude. They produce a competitive product, with decent fit and finish and their rifles are becoming known for their accuracy. The Accutrigger has been a game changer as the big names like Remington, Sako, Winchester, Marlin (some) have ALL re- tooled for a trigger that does some of the things that Savage's Accu-Trigger does. Savage has sold large numbers of rifles in the last few years so they must be doing something right.

If you want to buy an aftermarket trigger, there are many out there that are crisper, smoother and more adjustable than the Accutrigger. Companies like Timney, Canjar (out of business), Jewell, etc. have long specialized in providing drop-in custom triggers for the discerning shooter. They have them available for many different rifles. The advantage of the Accutrigger is that it comes mated to a decent rifle and you don't have to do anything to it; just take it out and shoot it. Most people like it but there are many who claim that there is nothing special about it. I personally can't make any statement about it as I have never shot a Savage and I don't know anyone who has one either.

My deer rifle, a heavy barreled Ruger M77 built in 1984 has a fully adjustable trigger and is crisp with very little creep. Starting in the late 1980's and into the 1990's and 2000's, litigation forced manufacturers to start increasing the trigger pulls of their rifles to prevent accidental discharge. The only way to have a decent trigger was to get a Timney or other assembly at the cost of over $100. We have come almost full circle now. Thanks to Savage's extensive and successful marketing efforts, many other manufacturers have been forced to offer better triggers now. Here are some of the newer triggers offered by rifle manufacturers nowadays:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/hunting_rifle_triggers.htm

I'm sure Timmy, Mark, Two Rivers, MOA etc. can add more to this discussion.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:48 am

:agree: with xl , i am waiting for my savage 110 BA in 300Win mag. with Accutrigger , i hope my new toy going to be here next month or so .

i can't wait put my hands on new toy, when i have that i will post the picture and range report for you guy's in the mean time enjoy this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_110_BA

Let me know what you guy's think about this my new toy. :cheers:

Baljit
Last edited by Baljit on Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:47 am

Wow! Nice Baljit.
Looking forward to the range report when you get it.
What kind of Optics are you going to mount on it?

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:50 pm

xl_target wrote:Wow! Nice Baljit.
Looking forward to the range report when you get it.
What kind of Optics are you going to mount on it?

Thank's XL
Yes i will post all the range report with some picture for you .

About Optics , last week i buy a scope for my toy , just click on the link, let me what you think about this scope.

Here is the link
http://theconsumerlink.com/Millett/detail/TCL+BK81007/0

Enjoy
Baljit

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:30 pm

The accutrigger can be lightened considerably. Both of mine have been heavily modified to break at approoximately 2 Oz.

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:33 pm

Baljit wrote: Thank's XL
Yes i will post all the range report with some picture for you .

About Optics , last week i buy a scope for my toy , just click on the link, let me what you think about this scope.

Here is the link
http://theconsumerlink.com/Millett/detail/TCL+BK81007/0

Enjoy
Baljit
For a little more you could have gotten a NightForce. Though Millet scopes are decent as well.

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:45 am

dr.jayakumar wrote:thanks for sharing x-l,
is this system seen only in savage or other guns too?
is it possible to get the trigger mechanism seperately?
regards
Marlin has a similar trigger on their bolt action, though not the same as Savage's. Neither is available separately, and in any case would only fit the specific Savage or Marlin rifles. I think Mossberg's bolt action has a similar trigger as well.
Adjustable after-market triggers are available for just about all commercial rifles, some lever actions, and pump action shotguns, and most of the military surplus rifles. Though in the latter case you most likely will pay more for the trigger, than you paid for the rifle.
As X-L has pointed out, manufacturers increased trigger pulls, and made them non-adjustable, (after Remington paid out millions in court judgements). Shooters weren't happy with those triggers, and Savage came up with an unorthodox answer that not only solved the problem, but finally gave the M110 rifles an excellent trigger. While I am not a fan of the Savage M110 variety rifle, mainly because of its extractor; the result has been that the other manufacturers have been rethinking the issue of triggers, and have made improvements.

Coming up with a trigger that has a good crisp pull, and is user adjustable, yet not to the point that it becomes unsafe, is not an easy task. "It is impossible to make things foolproof, fools being so ingenious."

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:11 pm

There is a CZ 7mm rifle in my family having double triggers same as they are in a DBBl shotgun. The rifle is fired with the rear trigger. Pulling the front trigger first makes the rear trigger pull extremely light.
If you fire the rear trigger, without pulling the front trigger, then the rear trigger pull is heavy.

The purpose for installing two triggers is same as discussed above i.e the rifle don't go off accidently and yet have a very light trigger.

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:15 am

Those "double-set triggers" used to be very popular on hunting and target rifles in Germany and adjoining countries, but have lost popularity as triggers with good crisp pulls became available on most hunting rifles. Their disadvantage is, that unset the pull is usually not very good at all, and quite heavy. They are fine for deliberate shooting, but not for a quick shot. Seems to be a "love them, or leave them" thing with most shooters. The Accutrigger can not be set for as light a pull, but requires no deliberate setting, and is safer.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue May 29, 2012 7:07 am

Just to add to this post, I finally did get to fire a rifle with the Accutrigger. There was a guy with a Savage rifle in .22LR and it had an Accutrigger on it. This was a brand new rifle and not been fired till this range session.
My Impressions:
The protruding safety lever required very little force to actuate. There was some creep and no discernible point of let-off. There was no gritty feeling when pulling the trigger. It was smooth. I thought it was significantly better than a lot of the .22 rifle triggers that I have fired.

Baljit's new toy would have a similar but i'm sure significantly better trigger.

skeetshot
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by skeetshot » Tue May 29, 2012 11:04 am

I understand these Accutriggers are adjustable for creep (and let off), so perhaps the unit you tried had not yet been adjusted.

The Accutrigger has been a significant improvement in factory out of the box rifles, and combined with Savage's improvements in barrel making and bedding have contributed to making this economically priced rifle greatly accurate and a commercial success.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue May 29, 2012 12:18 pm

That is quite possible, Skeetshot
If the creep was adjuted, it would be a decent trigger

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Wed May 30, 2012 8:27 pm

XL ,There is a creep on my new toy when i open that box but these trigger are fully adjustable and i adjusted that trigger but after the adjustment there is no creep whats so ever. all the my friends who shoots my toy really love this trigger.It's only 1/2lb smooth trigeer pull with no creep.

Baljit