Which knife

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Which knife

Post by .32 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:31 pm

Guess the knife bug has bit me & Im down with the infectious fever! All thanks to IFG'ians :mrgreen:

My last search for an entry level knife ended in a Spydie Ten. Now Im revisiting my requirements & needs. Also gone through the Board once again & compiled a shortlist of sorts.

FIXED BLADES:
Spyderco- Bill Moran Drop Point
Hattori- 2004
KABAR- FIN Fixed Blade, Drop Point, KA-5554
Extrema Ratio- SHRAPNEL
Gerber- LMF II
Zero tolerance 0100

FOLDERS:
Extreme Ratio's- 185° RAO
Boker- Magnum
Benchmade- 755 MPR
Zero tolerance- 0550
Benchmade griptillian
Spydie Sage
Spydie Delica 4

MULTITOOLS:
Pocket tools Pirhana
Spydie byrd tool
Gerber mulitool
Schrade

What else should feature on the list?

The knife should be pocketable, EDC stuff. I would pick a Fixed & a Folder each.
RAO though is excellent but little OTT w.r.t. my budget. So its included for academic reasons only.

One Multitool is on the agenda, shortlisting those too.
Last edited by .32 on Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Which knife

Post by dr.jayakumar » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:23 pm

friend for a fixed blade i feel it depends on your taste each one is better than the other.
for folding, extrema ratio 185 is bigger than the counterparts you mentioned.i checked all the blades you mentioned,i feel extrema is a better folding knife . i own one and also very happy with it.

brno22 fellow ifgian is a knowledgable person with knives,i feel he can help you more than me.
regards

Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by .32 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:26 pm

dr.jayakumar wrote:extreme ratio 185 i own one and also very happy with it.
brno22 fellow ifgian
That's great, tell me more about it.
Would have bought it eyes closed but don't feel like investing that amount. If some good deal comes around, Im game!

Yes, I know IFG'ians like Bruno, Subal, Mack The Knife, Rajat, Moin, Olly & others are knife gurus. Looking forward to their suggestions...

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:28 pm

.32 wrote:Guess the knife bug has bit me & Im down with the infectious fever! All thanks to IFG'ians :mrgreen:

My last search for an entry level knife ended in a Spydie Ten. Now Im revisiting my requirements & needs. Also gone through the Board once again & compiled a shortlist of sorts.

FIXED BLADES:
Hattori- 2004
KABAR- FIN Fixed Blade, Drop Point, KA-5554
Extrema Ratio- SHRAPNEL
Gerber- LMF II
Zero tolerance 0100

FOLDERS:
Extreme Ratio's- 185° RAO
Boker- Magnum
Benchmade- 755 MPR
Zero tolerance- 0550
Benchmade griptillian
Spydie Sage
Spydie Delica 4

MULTITOOLS:
Pocket tools Pirhana
Spydie byrd tool
Gerber mulitool
Schrade

What else should feature on the list?

The knife should be pocketable, EDC stuff. I would pick a Fixed & a Folder each.
RAO though is excellent but little OTT w.r.t. my budget. So its included for academic reasons only.

One Multitool is on the agenda, shortlisting those too.

Dear 32.

Hattori- 2004
These two are so boring :lol: "Been there done that grandpappa knives :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: "

If you're looking at a good fixed blade out of your selection I would love to have the Gerber LMFII, what a lovely allrounder and the Kabar Fin-- Boy absolutely drool material.. drool drool drool.. Extrema Ratio or the ZT are obscenely expensive.

Please check out the Cold Steel SRK or the Cold Steel Recon Tanto, handled both recently, superb superb blades availble for about INR 7 to 8 k.

http://www.coldsteel.com/srk.html

http://www.coldsteel.com/recontanto.html

For the folders, cant for wrong with either the Spydies or the Benchmade Grips. Check out the Sypderco Military, very nice large blade. Saw one in Mumbai for sale at INR 9k, did'nt have enough of Vitamin M at that point of time.

The ER is a tank, not sure how Doctorsaab manages to EDC. Also please check out the Cold Steel Recon series of folders, again on the shopping list, have handled these and these have superb build quality that will last you a lifetime.

Please do check out the Victorinox Multitools, can't go wrong with these. Availble for 8K i think at the base camp stores, the ones with the black coating are supercool :)

Best Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:43 pm

.32 wrote:
dr.jayakumar wrote:extreme ratio 185 i own one and also very happy with it.
brno22 fellow ifgian
That's great, tell me more about it.
Would have bought it eyes closed but don't feel like investing that amount. If some good deal comes around, Im game!

Yes, I know IFG'ians like Bruno, Subal, Mack The Knife, Rajat, Moin, Olly & others are knife gurus. Looking forward to their suggestions...
Thank You 32., that's the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" I don't belong there. :shock:

Olly's name is in the Limca Book of Records, Rajat owns some of the finest production knives money can buy, Sir Bruno's Sir Bruno, knife usage/martial arts-Doc Subals the man, Mack The Knife has a splendid collection, you can open a museum with the swords Katanaji owns,EDC/Flaslight-Choomabk+Rajat...
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

But thank you nonetheless...

Best Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by .32 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:16 pm

Moin. wrote:Spyderco- Bill Moran Drop Point, Hattori- 2004
These two are so boring :lol: "Been there done

Gerber LMFII, what a lovely allrounder and the Kabar Fin

Please check out the Cold Steel SRK or the Cold Steel Recon Tanto

Spydies or the Benchmade Grips. Check out the Sypderco Military
Thanks a ton Moin. Had just thought of being a part of history with Bill Moran & Hattori! :D

Out of Gerber LMF2 & Kabar Fin, which ot choose? Also from where to buy?

Are SRK & Recon Tanto easy/good to carry?

Military will be too much for a spydie I guess!

So this is probably all we are playing between or any other entries....

About the Cold steel Recon folders, should we opt for Tanto or drop point?

Hey man you too belong to the league of extra-ordinary men now... :) :cheers:

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:52 pm

Dear .32, the pragmatic approach would be whether you want to purchase just for collecting & hoaridng up purpose like I do then I would buy both... :mrgreen:

But if you intenend to use them

1) The Gereber's an allrounder kabar type infantry/outdoor knife2) The Fin is a Tactical/combat

"Out of Gerber LMF2 & Kabar Fin, which ot choose? Also from where to buy?"

The Kabar 1) Nasty thick Blade, Full Tang, Kabar battle proven pedigree. The Geber's not a full tang blade and I recently heard of the LMF II blade breaking during outdoor use by a fellow IFG member who's an avid outdoorsman.
I personally do not use a credit card so I cant buy online, knifecentre is from where most IFG'sn buy. Subal I think had recommended Tomar's Kabar, from where he got his.

http://tomarskabars.com

Both the SRK and the Recon Tanto are superb knives, handle one of them and you will know. The SRK's more of an allrounder where as the Recon Purely Tactical (like a bat out of hell).. The Recon Tanto's Evil Personified. :mrgreen:, It was love at first sight with the Recon Tanto, how I long to hold one again :mrgreen:

Not sure about carrying knives, why would anyone want to carry a large fixed blade, only inviting trouble if you get caught.

I have a fetish for Tanto's, look mean & evil, purpose built, so I would choose the Tanto in the Recon Series folders, but clip points are more practical for EDC purposes I guess.

I EDC a SAK, most practical knife/tool to carry...

Best Regards
Moin.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:37 am

Moin, where in Mumbai did you see the Vic multitool with the black coating? All I get are the shiny ones :(. My Vic is the only shiny knife I have, apart from the showpiece Kukris.

Cheers,

EssDee
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

ssmickey.32
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ssmickey.32 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:14 am

Hello .32,

I wonder why your list doesn't include C.U.B. Master 2.0 Karambit from 5.11 tactical knives. Check out this knife which is well within the permissible limits of city carry - blade length is only 2.87 inch and yet, very dangerous, if deployed correctly. You can make it your EDC too. Check out videos on youtube too.

I've laid my eyes & desire on it... soon it will be in my hands :mrgreen:

Best regards

ssmickey.32
When the power of love overcomes the love of power - the world will know peace.

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:20 pm

essdee1972 wrote:Moin, where in Mumbai did you see the Vic multitool with the black coating? All I get are the shiny ones :(. My Vic is the only shiny knife I have, apart from the showpiece Kukris.

Cheers,

EssDee
HI EssDee, this is avaible with BaseCampe Store at Phoenix Mills Lower Parel, priced at about 8k.Looks awesome.

Regards
Moin.

Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by .32 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:50 pm

Moin, Kabar fin not available with Knifecenter & Tomar kabars. Any other option?

Also which model did Subal buy, it has 4 models:
1) Drop point plain
2) Drop point plain + serrated
3) Tanto plain
4) Tanto plain + serrated.

@Mickey, Karambit not my cup of tea. Looks very wicked! :mrgreen:

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:15 pm

.32 wrote:Moin, Kabar fin not available with Knifecenter & Tomar kabars. Any other option?

Also which model did Subal buy, it has 4 models:
1) Drop point plain
2) Drop point plain + serrated
3) Tanto plain
4) Tanto plain + serrated.

@Mickey, Karambit not my cup of tea. Looks very wicked! :mrgreen:
Here's the good doctors knife.

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... Fin#p89150

.32, the Fin's got a D2 Tool Steel Blade, much harder to sharpen. Serrations will only add to the difficulty Please select a straight edge, easier to sharpen, Drop point or Tanto should be your choice or depending on your usage. If you will be using it for camping etc (for which this is probably not appropriate and much better knives out there for the task) the drop point has a better belly. The Tanto is a nasty out and out fighting/combat knife.

I dont purchase online, Tomars and knife centre are the only two websites I'm aware of.Sorry !!

P.S: Please do not EDC or carry a knife like the Kabar Fin.

And yes if you order and are unsatisfied with the blade, I will be very willing to buy it from you, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: even if it comes at a small premium. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Best Regards
Moin.

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:32 pm

essdee1972 wrote:Moin, where in Mumbai did you see the Vic multitool with the black coating? All I get are the shiny ones :(. My Vic is the only shiny knife I have, apart from the showpiece Kukris.

Cheers,

EssDee
EssDee, please do post pics of the knives you own. Would love to see your collection, my fellow Mumbaikar :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Best Regards
Moin.

Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by .32 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:58 pm

Moin. wrote:Serrations will only add to the difficulty Please select a straight edge, easier to sharpen, The Tanto is a nasty out and out fighting/combat knife.
Please do not EDC or carry a knife like the Kabar Fin.
And yes if you order and are unsatisfied with the blade, I will be very willing to buy it .
Moin ji so its going to be a Kabar Fin Tanto plain edge. :agree:

On EDC'ing, is it too large or ferocious to carry?

Sure sir ji but without the premium! Since Im not aware of other reliable Online options, I would probably ask someone who's coming from States to bring it.

As of now, Im able to source other knives like Gerber LMF2, Sypdie Delica 4, Cold Steel Recon tanto/drop pt. etc. online.

In case I choose Delica 4, any particular model w.r.t. edge, handle, color?

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:15 pm

.32 wrote:
Moin. wrote:Serrations will only add to the difficulty Please select a straight edge, easier to sharpen, The Tanto is a nasty out and out fighting/combat knife.
Please do not EDC or carry a knife like the Kabar Fin.
And yes if you order and are unsatisfied with the blade, I will be very willing to buy it .
Moin ji so its going to be a Kabar Fin Tanto plain edge. :agree:

On EDC'ing, is it too large or ferocious to carry?

Sure sir ji but without the premium! Since Im not aware of other reliable Online options, I would probably ask someone who's coming from States to bring it.

As of now, Im able to source other knives like Gerber LMF2, Sypdie Delica 4, Cold Steel Recon tanto/drop pt. etc. online.

In case I choose Delica 4, any particular model w.r.t. edge, handle, color?

Thank you .32 ji, No one here knows more about Syderco's than Choombak :) I have no info on the delica, I personally prefer folders with a min blade size of 3.5 inches.

Why would you wnat to carry such a large knife with you ?

Please go tthorugh the self defence section,
http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8424

You are better off learning something like Krav magaa etc than carry such a large knife without learning to use it safely & effectively. What if you are outpowered and your knife is used against you. A knife is not a deterrent like a licensed firearm. You are better off carrying a small folder with a 3" blade or a multitool that you can actually use rather than carrying a Kabar Fin or a Recon Tanto. A collapsible baton, pepper spray is a safer option to carry I would think. What if you are caught by the cops with a large, super sharp concealed knife Sir.

Regards
Moin.