Take a look at JIM CORBETT's 450/400 Double Rifle

Posts related to rifles.
saleem
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Take a look at JIM CORBETT's 450/400 Double Rifle

Post by saleem » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:12 am

Jim Corbett was blessed with exceptionally good eyesight, he used the.275 Rigbey-Mouser rifle for distance shooting because of its accuracy, and the .450/400 for close quarter encounters with tigers because of its stopping power.

For Advertising mail webmaster
BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:59 pm

On a recent visit to his Kaladhungi village - also known as Chhoti Haldwani, Corbett's winter home and now a museum, I saw an empty glass-panelled gun-rack. The keeper said that it used to house Corbett's arms that were taken away to Lucknow for security reasons during the time foothills got infested with extremist in 80's. His arms - those abroad and in India, deserve to be brought back and restored where they belong - his kaladhungi winter home and Gurney House in upper Nainital!

Priyan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Priyan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:48 am

I read today on a forum that the governor of United Province gifted him a .275 Rigby Westley Richards after killing the first man-eater around 1910. But after long time he bought another from Kolkata and had problem due to unfamiliarity with the trigger. Does anyone has the picture of the the .275 Rigby he bought? BTW did he refer to 000 buckshot pellets by the term "slug" in one of his books?

Dear BowMan,
You really rustled my jimmies with your post. I rage when government takes guns away from law abiding citizens in the name of terrorists. This is what happened in Assam back in the 80's. I say let Jim Corbett's rifle remain outside India, here somebody might bubba it or put it in their closet in the name of security.
When I'll get to shoot a gun?

arcraptor
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by arcraptor » Wed May 02, 2012 8:09 pm

He also liked his Martini Henry rifle (probably it was 577/450)...he has written in Man eaters of Kumaon..."a weapon that atoned for its vicious kick by being dead accurate -upto any range ."

Ranger
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Ranger » Fri May 11, 2012 11:12 am

Thanx a lot for sharing wonderful piece of information on Jim Corbett and His weapons. since my schooldays i was captivated by his books till date if i have time and good ambiance around i read his books. Thanks to my profession which gives me chance to experience feelings of stalking, breathe same air as breathed by Big cats during course of stalking them for tranquilizing. Although i dont use Gun but i use Tranquilizing gun for taking care of Problematic cats. thanx once again for sharing photos.

Priyan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Priyan » Fri May 11, 2012 11:17 am

I guess you are a forest ranger. That's an interesting profession, I'd really appreciate if you post some pictures of the jungles and animals in your area.
When I'll get to shoot a gun?

.338 lapua
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by .338 lapua » Sat May 26, 2012 5:17 pm

jim corbett.jpg
Here is a nice link with some information on Mr Jim Corbett.
http://www.respectance.com/JIMCORBETT/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"India is the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. Our most valuable and most astrictive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only!"
MarkTwain

.338 lapua
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by .338 lapua » Sat May 26, 2012 5:35 pm

In southern Maharashtra there is a reserve forest Dajipur(radhanagri),it was a Tiger habitat, however very few tigers remain today and very rarely seen. If one can visit the new palace in Kolhapur many of the tigers that were hunted in the Radhanagari forest by the erstwhile rulers can be seen there and also a large room dedicated to the guns and weapons owned by Shri Shahu maharaj one of them is a double rifle which is gold plated.

Regard's
Dhiraj
"India is the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. Our most valuable and most astrictive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only!"
MarkTwain

saleem
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by saleem » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:07 am

Priyan wrote:I read today on a forum that the governor of United Province gifted him a .275 Rigby Westley Richards after killing the first man-eater around 1910. But after long time he bought another from Kolkata and had problem due to unfamiliarity with the trigger. Does anyone has the picture of the the .275 Rigby he bought? BTW did he refer to 000 buckshot pellets by the term "slug" in one of his books?

Dear BowMan,
You really rustled my jimmies with your post. I rage when government takes guns away from law abiding citizens in the name of terrorists. This is what happened in Assam back in the 80's. I say let Jim Corbett's rifle remain outside India, here somebody might bubba it or put it in their closet in the name of security.
his first .275 was a Rigbey -Mauser and around the year 1930 he got himself a new .275 Westley Richards from Menton, Calcutta. the rifle had a double pull off trigger and he could not kill the tiger he was "sitting over" While shooting a maneating leopard he did mention that "eight slugs from a shotgun are better than a single rifle bullet".

garyhan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by garyhan » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:42 am

This rifle will be up for bid at auction this month in the US as part of the estate of the late gun writer Elmer Keith. I don't drive a Rolls Royce, so I won't be bidding.

gary

t

NILESH THAKUR
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by NILESH THAKUR » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:39 pm

Here is Jim Corbett's 275 Rigby Rifle
http://aussiehunter.org/wp-content/uplo ... -Rigby.jpg

http://nitroexpress.info/ezine/CptCurlF ... hoto21.jpg

Has Jim Corbett mentioned that a Rigby 275 was gifted to him any where.

Pradyumna
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Pradyumna » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:47 pm

Corbett had refused any reward in recognition of shooting the man-eating tigress of Champawat in 1907 for which he was presented with a British made .275 (7mm) Rigby with a mauser action, right hand bolt & leaf-sights with settings for 100,200 and 300 yards. By Sir J.P.Hewett.It was numbered 2516 and had been bought at the gunsmiths, Manton of Calcutta to whom it had been supplied from London in April,1905.It weighed 7lb 8oz, 25 inch barrel and 14 -3/8 inch LOP of french walnut.Its cost then was twelve guineas.On the left side of the butt was mounted a silver plate incorrectly inscribed :
'' Presented to Mr.J.G.Corbett by Sir J.P. Hewett. KCSI, Lieutenant Governor of the United Provinces in recognition of his having killed a man-eating tigress at Champawat in 1907 ''

Pradyumna
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Pradyumna » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:54 pm

The information was from a book '' CARPET SAHIB , A life of Jim Corbett '' by Martin Booth.

NILESH THAKUR
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by NILESH THAKUR » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:22 pm

Corbett mentions in the Champawat Maneater last para--At the durbar held in Naini Tai a few months later Sir John Hewett ,Lieutenant-Governer of the United Provinces,presented the Tahsildar of Champawat with a gun and the man who accompined me when looking for the girl with a beautiful hunting-knife,for the help they had given me.Both the weapons were suitably engraved and will be handed down as heirlooms in the respective families.

Martin Booth also mentions that the rifle fires a rimmed cartridge but the above mention gun is in UK with a private collector and if I am not wrong the above rifle fires a rimless cartridge as I have been told by the person who have handled that rifle,secoundly Jim Corbett has not mentioned anywhere that the rifle was gifted to him and why would a experienced hunter like Jim Corbett will buy a rifle of the same caliber as he had mentions in THE TEMPLE TIGER buying a Westley Richards .275 rifle from Manton Calcutta when their was plenty of other calibers and ammunitions easily available that time.

well this is just what I think.

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:01 pm

Nilesh, I was beset by the same doubts that have occurred to you on reading Martin Booth's book. One possibility could be that Corbett's innate modesty could have prevented him from mentioning his own presence in the Lieutenant Governor's darbar and the award of a rifle to him on that occasion. As for Corbett's buying a .275 rifle by Westley Richards from Manton's in Calcutta in 1926 when he already owned a .275 Rigby gifted to him in 1907, it could be that he had fallen in love with the cartridge and wanted an up to date rifle in his favourite calibre.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle