Airgun import experiences - via post/ courier route

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
tiwariarrun
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Airgun import experiences - via post/ courier route

Post by tiwariarrun » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:51 am

Rohit,

Could you tell us what documents did you send to clear your air rifle? Exact list, please.

Also, the gun flew from US.. air guns in flight are allowed in US. But when they are on Indian soil, we have to follow Indian security norms. Sometimes, you even require DGCA's permission. You're lucky you didn't have to wait for a month to get the permission from DGCA.

Have a lil patience, and enjoy shooting. :)

For Advertising mail webmaster
rohitmin23
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rohitmin23 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:36 pm

Documents sent for Customs clearence were:

1. Authorization to FEDEX to clear shipment from Customs on my behalf.
2. Covering letter to Dy. Comm. Customs explaining the purpose of import and description of contents of the shipment.
3. I card of Association
4. Life Membership Certificate.
5. Bonafide letter from association stating that the rifle will be used for shooting practice. (signed by General Secretary)
6.Bank Payment receipt.
7. Screen snapshot of the gun with price and Specification.
8. DGFT notification and Customs notifcation for nil duty.
9. Commercial invoice from PA.
10. Email from PA for confirmation of Shipment.
11. Shooting Championships Certificate.

All these documents were scanned and send.

Arunji..I was planning to travel 1100 kms by road to get the gun myself...but a quick calculation of the expenses coupled by scolding from family only stopped me...then only I went to get JVAT 502...now i am waiting..and making fedex Dhanbad Branch Manager uneasy!!!!

vivek111
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by vivek111 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:46 am

@namcmd

Hey dude, wats the total outstanding amount you paid?
And did you pay american dollars or indian rupees??
:cpix:

namcmd
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by namcmd » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:47 pm

vivek111 wrote:@namcmd

Hey dude, wats the total outstanding amount you paid?
And did you pay american dollars or indian rupees??
:cpix:
Total 899 us dollar for two Weihrauch HW50S (with shipping charges)
Nothing but Complicated!

sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Steyr Online Shop Dedicated to Indian Shooters

Post by sat » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:16 pm

Not sure if this has been posted on IFG.

http://www.steyr.in/ - Steyr Online Shop Dedicated to Indian Shooters

They provide Custom Clearance and Door delivery options with purchase (I think this might be in Delhi only)

Rules to buy - http://www.steyr.in/rules-to-buy-ezp-6.html

All documents (club membership etc) have to be sent to -
Syndicate Innovations International Limited
G 365 Preet Vihar
New Delhi – 110092
India

rohitmin23
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rohitmin23 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:14 pm

Got my daisy!!!

rohitmin23
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rohitmin23 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:39 pm

DAISY Powerline 953 Targetpro Targetsights
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

namcmd
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by namcmd » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:57 pm

rohitmin23 wrote:Got my daisy!!!
Congrats......
Nothing but Complicated!

rohitmin23
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rohitmin23 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:27 pm

Thanks namcmd!!

I have just imported one Air Rifle this month can I again import another Air Rifle with the same letter from Association???or I will have to again get a letter from the Association.

namcmd
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by namcmd » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:25 pm

use same documents, no need another one. change date.
Nothing but Complicated!

rohitmin23
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rohitmin23 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:06 am

Kind of confused between RWS 34 & RWS 48. Can anybody suggest which rifle to buy??

My use will be:
1. Use it as 2nd rifle for target practice.(I already have daisy)
2. Minimum maintenance requirement and good reliability.

Also has anybody bought from airguns of arizona. their price is way lower than PA. Only glich is that they ship thru UPS.

Please suggest urgently as I will be ordering very shortly.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:40 am

I would use a barge pole to buy anything from them. They goofed up on sending a pistol across because they chose the wrong courier. Pistol went back to them and yet they kept quiet about the whole thing. On the phone they would suddenly have amnesia about the consignment. Finally, when I wrote about it on an American board did they get their memory back.

Be careful cheap is often expensive on the long run.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

David
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by David » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:24 am

PA is by far the better one to ship to India and that is because of Fedex and its tracking with in India.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:10 pm

Here is a very interesting view.
http://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/I ... GPy_tnMla4

By Mr. D. Arun Kumar

There are basically ONLY TWO ways in which an airgun can be legally imported into India. In both cases import is allowed ONLY FOR PERSONAL use and NO COMMERCIAL IMPORTS ARE CURRENTLY ALLOWED.

SCENARIO 1 - IMPORT VIA COURIER/ POST

The Dept. Of Commerce, Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Govt. of India vide it's Notification No. 12 (RE-2005)/2004-09 Dated 04 July 2005 ALLOWED the import of .177 calibre airguns/ air-pistols by shooters registered with Rifle Clubs or District/ State/ National Rifle Association(s).

Please note the conditions for importing via this route:

1. The importer MUST be a current member of a Rifle Club/ Shooting Association as mentioned above.

2. The airguns/ air-pistols imported can ONLY be in .177 calibre

3. So far an import duty of ~ 35% was being charged on the CIF (Cost+Insurance+Freight) value of the goods imported. However, this duty has now been reduced to ZERO. However, customs officials are likely to wait for an official notification (maybe sometime early next month), BEFORE they begin to waive of import duties on these items. UPDATE - the zero duty regime is now a reality

4. Needless to say, the imported airguns/ air-pistols must be able to pass the deal wood test mentioned above.

5. Currently there is NO CLARITY on the imports of pellets/ BBs via this route, therefore they are likely to be confiscated. UPDATE - The imports of .177 cal pellets has now been allowed.

SCENARIO 2 - IMPORT AS PERSONAL BAGGAGE

Anyone returning from overseas may carry back an airgun/ air-pistol with him/ her. The following conditions would apply:

1. There is NO RESTRICTION on calibre as such using this route therefore import of .22 calibre airguns should not be a problem.

2. There is NO REQUIREMENT of the returning passenger being a member of a Rifle Club/ Shooting Association.

3. Duty charged should be ~ 35% but this is highly dependant on the interpretation of the customs officer on duty, I have heard of a case wherein someone was charged 100% import duty!

4. Baggage rules leave a lot of room for the discretion/ judgement of the customs officer on duty. Therefore while a club membership is not required, having one may help your case in certain circumstances.

5. How things work out varies widely, in some cases the customs officer charges duty on the airgun and releases the baggage immediately. In others, the airgun is impounded and one must then go to the firearms branch of the local police to have it verified as being an airgun (and not a firearm) before they will release the airgun. Therefore having an immediate onward connection is not a good idea, factor in a day or maybe two towards possible customs hassles. Not saying that it will happen, but it CAN - so best to be prepared.

6. PLEASE check with your airline well in advance to your departure as to their requirements for checking in an airgun in your baggage. Some airlines are helpful, others are not. Airguns are classified as "dangerous goods" as per all airlines and you should contact the airlines "dangerous goods" department for this information. There may be additional requirements (for e.g. packing it in a TSA certified gun case) depending on where you would be boarding. Please arrive at the airport EARLY to take care of any last minute delays due to the hassle of checking in the airgun.

7. One may carry back 2000 pellets per returning passenger, however this is not always enforced to the "T" and the customs officer may confiscate a larger or even lesser quantity than this number. It's entirely on your luck.

8. As per TSA regulations while checking in gas canisters for PCP/ CO2 airguns while boarding a flight, the the pressure vessel MUST be empty AND disassembled so that the TSA official on duty can make a visual inspection of the INSIDE of the container to verify that it is indeed empty. While this is not always strictly enforced, please do keep this in mind if boarding a flight in USA. May be a good idea to ship the (empty) cylinder/ cannister via post/ courier separately.

9. Needless to say, the imported airguns/ air-pistols must be able to pass the deal wood test mentioned above.

Telescopes

While the import of telescopes is allowed, a scope if presented along with a gun whether mounted or not is a restricted item and will most probably be confiscated. Therefore attempting to import a telescope along with your airgun via post/ courier is NOT RECOMMENDED and if you are carrying it back with you as baggage while returning from overseas MAKE SURE you pack it in a separate case and NOT along with the airgun. Most airport security/ airlines WILL NOT allow you to carry a rifle scope as cabin (hand) baggage so you will need to pack it with your check in baggage.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:34 am

HEY SNIPER what abt .25 cal thru personal carry-what are the bets