NEVER FIGHT A SPRING PISTON AIR RIFLE!!!

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

NEVER FIGHT A SPRING PISTON AIR RIFLE!!!

Post by brihacharan » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:01 pm

NEVER FIGHT A SPRING PISTON AIR RIFLE…
It will win every time!!!

For accurate shooting you have to HOLD IT SOFTLY. You must let the rifle recoil in its own way.
To restrict it will cause you to miss.

Let the rifle rest ON your supporting hand. OPEN PALM. Don’t grasp the stock with your fingers. You can cup your fingers round the fore stock BUT DON’T GRIP!

Don’t EVER change the position of your hand along the fore stock. This position affects how the rifle recoils.

NEVER rest your air rifle fore end directly on sandbags or a support as your groups will suffer.

• Slings should only be used for carrying, never for support.
• You can lay your wrist or forearm on a rest if you like.
• Just try to rest your forearm / wrist on the SAME PLACE EVERY TIME.

Only TOUCH your shoulder lightly with the rifle’s butt pad and don’t try to pull it back hard into your shoulder. It’s OK to ‘snuggle in’ but don’t smother it.

• Rest your cheek LIGHTLY on the comb of the stock.
• Don’t mash your face onto the stock.
• Put your cheek on the SAME place on the comb EVERY TIME!

All the above is designed to let the rifle recoil as naturally as possible. Failure to do so will result in poor shooting.

TRIGGER CONTROL.

Curl your fingers round the “Pistol Grip” of the stock using the lightest grip you can. The trigger finger is all you want to move. Everything else is purely to help control the jittery effect your body imparts on the weapon.

Control is everything because you have to keep the weapon in line with the target fighting it’s weight and your body tremor which is present in all humans.

Here’s a simple acronym that’s well worth remembering - B R A S S

1.BREATHE
2.RELAX
3.AIM
4.STOP
5.SQUEEZE

BREATHING
Stop breathing for during the natural pause between inhalation and exhalation. The natural pause between breaths is typically 2-3 seconds. You should not extend that past 8 seconds. This is when you fire, that is when the diaphragm and breathing muscles are relaxed. After 8 seconds, stop the release, relax, and try again.

RELAX
Your position should be relaxed and the weapon NATURALLY aligned with the target i.e. you do not need to push the sights to align with the target. This applies to any weapon but especially a spring-piston rifle as to push or pull one will definitely affect the way it recoils.

AIMING
Make sure you are aiming correctly i.e. the correct sight pattern for the targets range, and elevation.

STOP
You are in the 8 second window. If all is in order i.e. Breathing, Relaxation, and Aiming you can proceed to release the shot.

SQUEEZE
Start applying gentle pressure on the trigger – Slowly – Continuously - Positively

There are two ways of squeezing the trigger and releasing the shot.

Uninterrupted Trigger Control
Smooth is the term that should come to your mind.
Take up the first pressure on the trigger and when the sights are in line and are steady on the target. Increase the pressure to the trigger at a gentle rate until the weapon fires.
No stopping, pauses, snatching, a constant & continuous squeeze.

Interrupted Trigger Control
In short you release when the target comes onto the sights. Then, when it does, you squeeze the trigger until the shot breaks. In other words when the rifle starts to sway towards the target, second trigger pressure is applied and you release the shot as the sights align.

My personal advice is, always shoot from a supported position. Lying down is best, sitting second, kneeling takes a lot of practice, and standing is my last option!

Follow Through
Always stay in the aim when and after the shot has been released. This will prevent you relaxing your grip as you release thus the weapon will remain still and on target. Too many air gunners immediately relax on releasing the shot. The brain senses the rifle go off, immediately the tensed up body tries to relax from the control you have been applying over the last 8 seconds.
Result? You are Off Target – Poor Shot – Bad Grouping

The follow through is something you have to train yourself to do. Once you develop this habit you can see the vast improvement in your shooting!

Briha
Last edited by brihacharan on Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
vivek16sep1969
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: NEVER FIGHT A SPRING PISTON AIR RIFLE!!!

Post by vivek16sep1969 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:17 am

:cheers:
"Fast is fine but accuracy is everything......"
-Wyatt Earp

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:01 am

NEVER rest your air rifle fore end directly on sandbags or a support as your groups will suffer.
Just curious Briha, what is the difference if you rest the forearm directly on a sandbag versus having your rifle supported by your hand which is rested on a sandbag?
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:50 am

Same question.
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

pratik_mahale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pratik_mahale » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:54 pm

brihacharan wrote:
Follow Through
Always stay in the aim when and after the shot has been released. This will prevent you relaxing your grip as you release thus the weapon will remain still and on target. Too many air gunners immediately relax on releasing the shot. The brain senses the rifle go off, immediately the tensed up body tries to relax from the control you have been applying over the last 8 seconds.
Result? You are Off Target – Poor Shot – Bad Grouping

The follow through is something you have to train yourself to do. Once you develop this habit you can see the vast improvement in your shooting!

Briha
:agree:
Its really improve my grouping

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:14 pm

xl_target wrote:
Just curious Briha, what is the difference if you rest the forearm directly on a sandbag versus having your rifle supported by your hand which is rested on a sandbag?
> Hi xl_target,

> The difference is in the "anchoring" ie: resting the fore-end of the AR stock supported by your hand is suceptible to imperceptible / shifting of the line of sight. Even if it's a few millimeters the pellet will go astray - resulting in bad grouping.
> By resting the fore-arm (wherein your palm contributes to the artillery hold) you unconsciously tend to maintain the barrel in the line of sight & this makes a big difference.
> In case you are using a bi-pod - the fore-end is already anchored to the bi-pod resulting in hardly any shift of the barrel from the line of sight.
> It may sound a bit confusing though - but the fact is 'it works' - my personal experience is when I rested the forearm on the sand bag I could get consistently 3/8" groups at 30yds, but when I rested the fore-end of the AR supported by my hand on the sand bag the group opened to 1 1/4"!
Briha

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:16 pm

Skyman wrote:Same question.
Your question is answered - pl see my reply to xl_target.
Briha

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:25 pm

Another one - does this apply to firearms as well? Riles for example.
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:03 pm

Skyman wrote:Another one - does this apply to firearms as well? Riles for example.
> Yes it does apply.
> The palpable sensitivity of the human hand & its eye coordination is an immense contributory factor as compared to the insensitivity of a sandbag.
Briha

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:26 pm

The B R A S S was interesting... although practiced, but never gave it a thought... ! :)

Nice writeup...
Last edited by Olly on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

moulindu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by moulindu » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:40 pm

hi Brihaji
Nice illustration. Liked that part of BRASS, will keep that in mind
Thanks Moulindu

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:57 pm

Dear Briha,
When I do B, I can R .When I do A ,I can not B.when I can not B ,I can not R.
Fore me it is really difficult.
Nice post indeed.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:24 pm

Basu wrote:Dear Briha,
When I do B, I can R .When I do A ,I can not B.when I can not B ,I can not R.
Fore me it is really difficult.
Nice post indeed.
Basu
Hi Basu,
> You're not alone in suffering this predicament :lol:
> In fact most of us go through this agony - Only CONSTANT & CONSISTENT PRACTICE will overcome it.
> Finally its all about the body, mind & spirit performing in "SYNCH" to achieve perfection....
> Just visualize a Basket Ball player running towards the basket, dodging his opponents while tapping the ball - In a flash he leaps, angles his body, raises his arm - all the while his "Eyes are focused on the Basket" - in the precise moment which he feels is the "right moment" he chucks the ball to score a basket :D
> BRASS is nothing but a sequence of activities in progression well coordinated with intention & purpose to hit the bulls eye :D
> Like I've said many a time it's the Journey & not the destination we have to enjoy going through :D
> If this happens then - BRASS will become a second nature - performed unconsciously but with precision :D
Happy Shooting!
Briha
Last edited by brihacharan on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pratik_mahale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pratik_mahale » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:28 pm

Very nicely explain sir

sathya.sniper
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sathya.sniper » Fri May 10, 2013 12:56 pm

Great Information, Thank you very much sir for this useful info.....
Cheers.