Is it safe to shoot Hypervel .22lr Rounds in an old Rifle?

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
Kumarnishith
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Is it safe to shoot Hypervel .22lr Rounds in an old Rifle?

Post by Kumarnishith » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:19 am

Is it safe to shoot hypervelocity .22lr rounds like CCI Stinger in an old .22lr Rifle? My question is specifically for BSA Supersport 5 .22lr Rifle!There were 7197 made between 1955 and 1967. Till date I have used only subsonic KF rounds..Dying to checkout few imported ammo but afraid to do so. As CCI Stingers & other hypervelocity rounds are loaded to marginally higher pressures and are a bit hotter than normal subsonic rounds. Is it true that continuous use could lead to excessive wear on the rifling or in the worst case scenario blow up the barrel of an old Rifle??

Thanks in advance..

-Nishith

For Advertising mail webmaster
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Is it safe to shoot Hypervel .22lr Rounds in an old Rifl

Post by dev » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:35 pm

As far as I know you can't blow up a barrel just by using Stingers. The barrel would have to be blocked for that to happen. High velocity rounds generate more pressure in the chamber area, they will not wear out rifling since they are normally lead with a copper wash.Why can't you shoot normal standard velocity rounds?
Use other CCI, Remington and Eley rounds. The stingers are good for pest control and I have found that they group more loosely in my rifle, specially at 50m.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Kumarnishith
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kumarnishith » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:51 pm

Sorry Dev, I was not very specific when I mentioned the words "imported ammo"...By imported ammo I meant Hypervelocity .22lr ammo like CCI Stinger & Velocitors, Aguila Interceptor & Super Max etc..I am sure normal standard velocity rounds made by CCI, Remington, Eley etc won't be a problem.

AFAIK, Both CCI Stinger and Velocitor rounds have MAP of less than 24,000 PSI (SAAMI .22LR chamber pressure). They achieve such high velocity (1640 ft/s) by lengthening the case and using a lighter shorter bullet. Standard 22LR has a case 0.613" long, with a 40 grain bullet sitting in it. Stingers, on the other hand, have a case that is 0.750" long, with a 32 grain bullet sitting in it! This means that it is an entirely new cartridge because it isn't a true .22LR case, but a hybrid of sorts. Also, there is a warning mentioned on the Ammunition Box that reads- Use only in firearms having standard ANSI sporting barrel/chamber dimensions.
Now, I don't have any idea whether my BSA .22lr Supersport Five Rifle has standard ANSI sporting barrel/chamber dimensions or not!! :oops:

-Nishith

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:40 pm

Marlin frown on the use of the Stinger in their semi-auto's, now I had been using them like a madman for a few years. But what saved my skin is that even then I wouldn't have shot more than 500 bullets, thanks to the non-availability of the same bullet.
Mine is a 1985 model and since yours is even thirty or so years older, it would probably be prudent to keep using standard velocity rounds.
My question is where would you get the ammo that you mention,specially aquilla and all that?

A certain Grumposaurus is known to stalk this board, he would actually be the best one to address the chamber sizes and all that. Then there are a bunch of very experienced smiths and shooters like two rivers, xl target, timmy and baljeet. Any of these gents will have the right answer.

Regards,

Dev

PS. Missed the nawab of richards town.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:21 pm

`Stalk` ? Me - a stalker ?
As far as using Hyper velocity .22 lr ammo in old bolt actions and Martinis is concerned it doesn`t cause me any concern - I`ve never experienced any problems. Using them in an semi-auto can cause problems however - Marlin are not the only manufacturer to warn against their use in semi-autos. I`ve tried Stingers and Velocitors in Ruger 10/22s and had jams ..... I`ve had three 10/22s and they were all pretty poor as regards accuracy and reliable feeding - plenty of others experience no problems at all.
The Stingers DO have a longer case than a normal .22 lr cartridge but this is compensated for by the shorter bullet. I have to say that I`m not a fan of any of the super quick 29 and 32 gr cartridges because the bullets shed velocity and therefore energy much more rapidly than 40 gr bullets. I do like the Velocitor - it`s currently the most effective .22lr cartridge available for longer range.
The best .22lr for long range use was the old Eley standard velocity hunting cartridge which they dropped from their range three or for years ago - a shame because at 100 yards it retained more energy than anything else and was very accurate.... which just goes to show that faster isn`t necessarily better.
I haven`t had much success with any Aguilla ammunition that I`ve used - although I haven`t tried very much - yet others have found it very effective. .22 LRs can be very picky with ammunition and invariably favour one type of ammo over others.
I like to use old .22 lr target rifles for hunting because I enjoy taking bunnies and pigeons at 100 yards plus. The match chambers are very picky however and for best accuracy I pretty well inevitably have to use Eley Tenex or Lapua Midas or
X-Act ..... which is obvious really but the only problem is that they are all shockingly expensive nowadays. I had a Walther target rifle that would shoot cloverleafs at 100 yards with Tenex and would group Velocitors within an inch at the same range. I had an old Match 54 which preferred Midas to Tenex and hated Velocitors but would shoot 1 inch groups with Winchester Varmint HE. I haven`t found Stingers to be accurate or effective at longer ranges from any rifle. An awful lot of people use CCI Mini Mags - which are high velocity rather than hyper velocity - because they`re effective and accurate from most rifles and are reasonably priced. In most instances there`s little point in using hyper velocity ammo because you just won`t see any benefit.
Basically I suppose what I`m saying is that yes, you can use hyper velocity ammo in old .22lrs but as often as not there`s little point unless used at short range.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:15 pm

Absolutely. Any recommendation not to use from rifle manufacturers is in response to ejection problems with some semi-autos. They are perfectly safe to use in any bolt action, single shot, lever action, or slid-action. There is only one old slide-action I would not shoot them in, or any high-velocity round. They are not loaded to higher than maximum allowable pressure.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:22 am

Apologies Gun Sifu Grumpy I didn't mean stalk but lurks...hope you won't be steaming outa the ears for that ;-).
Thought that a Grumposaurus lurking would keep the trolls at bay (has em for breakfast e does) ;-).
So you mean the HV rounds do no worse than create erratic ejection and bad accuracy on the semis?
No harm letting a couple loose now and again?

Regards,

Dev

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:23 pm

As far as using Hyper velocity .22 lr ammo in old bolt actions and Martinis is concerned it doesn`t cause me any concern - I`ve never experienced any problems. Using them in an semi-auto can cause problems however - Marlin are not the only manufacturer to warn against their use in semi-autos.
+ 1
Nishith, My cousin has the same rifle you have. He never had any problem with Stingers though, as Grumpy says, Stingers lack accuracy at long ranges, specially if there is strong wind.

Regards

TC

Kumarnishith
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kumarnishith » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:37 pm

Thanks Dev, Grumpy, Two River & TC for your prompt & valuable reply!!! :D Another guy (on another forum) has also fired CCI Stinger in an older model BSA Rifle (Sportsman 5) without any problem.
Now, its time for me to buy some HV Rounds and set the target (Mighty Tin cans, bottles, card board pieces etc) on fire!!! :mrgreen:

-Nishith

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:39 pm

Kumarnishith wrote:Thanks Dev, Grumpy, Two River & TC for your prompt & valuable reply!!! :D Another guy (on another forum) has also fired CCI Stinger in an older model BSA Rifle (Sportsman 5) without any problem.
Now, its time for me to buy some HV Rounds and set the target (Mighty Tin cans, bottles, card board pieces etc) on fire!!! :mrgreen:

-Nishith
Nishith, seems you are my kind of guy when it comes to having fun in the sun :lol: ... Try filling coke cans filled with coloured water, try shaving foam cans ... best of all, try not so ripe water melon, papaya, pear, cabbage et al... :lol: :lol: MOST IMPORTANT ensure a safe backstop and remove all possibilities of richocheting. I am sure you know very well how dangerous these hyper volocity rounds can be ...

TC

Kumarnishith
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kumarnishith » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:23 pm

TC wrote:
Kumarnishith wrote:Thanks Dev, Grumpy, Two River & TC for your prompt & valuable reply!!! :D Another guy (on another forum) has also fired CCI Stinger in an older model BSA Rifle (Sportsman 5) without any problem.

-Nishith
Nishith, seems you are my kind of guy when it comes to having fun in the sun :lol: ... Try filling coke cans filled with coloured water, try shaving foam cans ... best of all, try not so ripe water melon, papaya, pear, cabbage et al... :lol: :lol: MOST IMPORTANT ensure a safe backstop and remove all possibilities of richocheting. I am sure you know very well how dangerous these hyper volocity rounds can be ...

TC
Well TC Sir

You Bet!!! :D :D I do visit Kolkota once in a while as my Brother lives there...Would love to learn plinking tactics from you!! :D May be in next IFG Kolkata meet I can join you guys!! :)

-Nishith

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:19 pm

HV = High Velocity.
CCI Stingers are HYPER Velocity.
I can`t recommend the use of Hyper Velocity ammo in older semi-autos - and Marlin specifically warn against the use of Hyper Velocity ammo in all their semi-autos. Poor ejection and inaccuracy are NOT a likelyhood when used in older semi-autos but a possibility. Knocking the crap out of recoil buffers ( for those semis that utilise them ) is inevitable. I`ve heard of older semi-autos suffering cracked receivers as a result of using hyper velocity ammo but can`t confirm that ..... and I wouldn`t use Hyper Velocity in any semi-auto that fires from an open bolt.
As I said, I have no worries about using Hyper Velocity ammo in any bolt action or Martini actioned .22 lr and you can safely use High Velocity ammo in anything.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:22 pm

Sheesh ..... now I`m a `lurker` ......
Is that better than a stalker ?
A lurker sounds like a low-intelligence stalker ..... possibly one that constantly dribbles.
Thanks a bunch !
;) :)
( Terry Pratchett )

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:50 pm

Something that are really fun to shoot-up are old aerosol cans - especially if they have some pressure remaining. Be careful with hair spray or deoderant cans however because the cloud of `perfumed` vapour will make you stink to blazes if the cloud blows your way !
( Terry Pratchett )

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:57 am

Grumpy wrote:HV = High Velocity.
CCI Stingers are HYPER Velocity.
I can`t recommend the use of Hyper Velocity ammo in older semi-autos - and Marlin specifically warn against the use of Hyper Velocity ammo in all their semi-autos. Poor ejection and inaccuracy are NOT a likelyhood when used in older semi-autos but a possibility. Knocking the crap out of recoil buffers ( for those semis that utilise them ) is inevitable. I`ve heard of older semi-autos suffering cracked receivers as a result of using hyper velocity ammo but can`t confirm that ..... and I wouldn`t use Hyper Velocity in any semi-auto that fires from an open bolt.
As I said, I have no worries about using Hyper Velocity ammo in any bolt action or Martini actioned .22 lr and you can safely use High Velocity ammo in anything.
GunSifu Grumposaurus,

When my rifle was imported, it came with a hundred cci mini mags. So after shooting them I was surprised to find a cracked recoil buffer.
I happily blamed that on our KF rounds at that time ;-). Caused a load of heartburn and efforts to get a new piece and then replace it.
Luckily, a friend and his father stepped in to help assemble the inside and replace the buffer.
The father was an engineer and he made light work of it.

Now, that I have no sources of Hyper Velocity rounds, I shall be shooting the usual KF rounds, much improved now due to 'Britisher intervention' ROTFL .
A thousand apologies will 'resident deity 'and 'God of all things related to firearms' suit his highness more? ;-)